PDA

View Full Version : How To De-Gloss A Scope???

J.Solo
January 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have a nice, older Leupold 3 to 9 scope with Adjustable Objective that has the High Gloss finish. It currently sits on a Winchester High Gloss Featherweight Model 70 in 30.06.

I would like to move this scope to a new 26" Barreled Remingtom SP Varment in .243 Win. that has the black Matt non reflective finish on action and barrel and black stock.

Is there any way to de-gloss this scope to better blend in with the new rifle?
:confused:
Thanks - J.Solo

DMK
January 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
A scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease will do it.

Just be careful you don't scuff the lenses. You can tape over them with masking tape to be safe.

uncyboo
January 12, 2010, 01:04 PM
Prep and paint it with Brownell's Alumi-Hyde matte black.

taylorce1
January 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
Drop it hard enough to break it, send it back to Leupold and get a new replacement in matte.

Other than that there are some professional coating companies that will put a matte finish on it that way it is on them if they screw the scope up. Other than that the other suggestions will work as well. I'd use a paint or other finish before I resorted to the scotch brite method however.

Horseman
January 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
Leupold's have amazing resale. I'd put it up for sale on this forum's buy/sell/trade section and buy a matte scope. Refinishing a scope will diminish the value significantly.

TX15
January 12, 2010, 07:54 PM
eBay it (yes they suck but you can still sell scopes). Like they said, you will likely get enought to buy the one you want.