PDA

View Full Version : update and storage question

g_avery
January 4, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi
I posted a question a while back regarding a .223 for long range target work. Well, I had my heart set on a .223, but a really really good deal came up on a .308 that was already set up for exactly what I want to do, so I snatched it up. I also found myself a good source of cheap surplus .308 until I start reloading :D.

For now, it is living in my dad's safe. It is too long to fit in the safe, so we took the action out of the stock and are storing it like that. Is this going to cause any problems?

Thanks

ps pics will be posted soon...

tINY
January 4, 2010, 07:18 PM
Sounds like it's time to get a small safe for yourself. Storing a rifle like that isn't a problem, but taking it apart and putting it together all the time can be an issue over time.

-tINY

garryc
January 4, 2010, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't do that. When you put it back together it can take a few shots to settle it in.

DMK
January 4, 2010, 08:38 PM
I can't see why it would hurt anything. You just may need to re-zero it like garryc said. It will keep gun oils from running out of the action and into the stock which can soften the wood. Not a bad idea for long term storage.

I store my Garand with the trigger guard unlocked to prevent it from compressing the wood and loosening the stock fit (A Garand's trigger guard locks the action in the stock).

tINY
January 5, 2010, 12:46 AM
If it's glass-bedded, then the bedding can break down over 10s of insertions.

-tINY

g_avery
January 5, 2010, 01:32 AM
thanks for the replies.

It is bedded, so I guess that is a concern. The stock is composite, so I'm not too worried about oils and such.

I guess I'll be looking for a safe/case then.

Thanks a lot!

10-96
January 5, 2010, 01:45 AM
While they're far from anybody's description of "the best"- Stack-On makes a sturdy lockable storage cabinet that can be bolted to floors and/or walls for $150 +/- these can be found at most sporting goods stores and sometimes at the local Wally Worlds. It's better than nothing.