PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Breakdown of manufacturers

jeffatus
January 3, 2010, 09:38 PM
I hate to post another AK47 post, but the more I read it seems the more confused I get. I am interested in picking up an AK47 in it's traditional form: true AK47, not some variant that can be moded to be a true AK, wood furniture, etc. It doesn't need to be pretty, but I am not a big fan of the really cheap wood furniture I have seen on some AK's recently at the local gun store...I think they were Century guns.

So, since I am familiar with AR15's and the manufacturers...and the most loved/hated "Chart" that lists which guns are the most like military issue, I was hoping someone could tell me how the AK's rank. I am hesitant since the AR posts seem to start [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] storms whenever "rankings" come up, but I am hoping to know how to find a traditional AK and what the costs/benefits are to the major manufacturers. Also, my price point around $500 would be great....but if it takes a hundred or two more, then I can save up. I want the best value like every buyer is looking for.

Thanks in advance.
jeff

noyes
January 3, 2010, 09:49 PM
Pre ban if you do not want the one's they sell today with x amount of america parts put in them .

Norinco
Russian

ISC
January 3, 2010, 09:52 PM
for $500 you could get a Saiga and have it converted to its original design. Saiga's are super nice and you can definately tell the difference in quality between them and any other post ban import.

smince
January 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
I am interested in picking up an AK47 in it's traditional form: true AK47,I don't think there are many legal original F/A AK's in the country.:cool:

Tucker 1371
January 3, 2010, 10:15 PM
Egyptian MAADI AKs look like they're pretty close and I hear the quality is good too, hopefully I'll get my hands on one some day. All you'd have to do is replace the thumbhole stock with a regular stock and pistol grip.

ISC
January 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
Egyptian maadis are very close to the original design. The Soviets built the Egyptian factory and provided all the equipment so it's pretty understandable. If you look at the placement of the rivets, stock pins, and laminate they are about as close to the Russian production version as you can get.

Unfortunately, the difference between a 1990 Maadi and a 1995 thumbyole sporter is clear in the lower quality finish of the later model. My Maadi is a great shooter, but the thumbhole stock sucks and there is pronounced trigger slap. The trigger slap would be fixed by installing the trigger group with a good US made one, which you'd want to do anyhow in order to be 922r compliant after swapping out the stock.

I don't think they've been imported in quite awhile.

rgates
January 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
The last couple of Egyptians I saw back 6-7 months ago looked much worse than my GP-WASR-10.

popeyespappy
January 3, 2010, 11:10 PM
I’ve got a century built Yugo. The frickin’ trigger was so bad when I bought it wouldn’t even fire twice because the hammer was following the bolt forward after the first round. I replaced the trigger with a Tapco double hook. Now it works perfect and shoots better than I expected. I am pretty happy with it despite the original problem. Having said that I agree with ISC that the cheapest way to get a quality AK type rifle these days is to convert a Saiga.

Tucker 1371
January 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
Just because I feel the need to say it...

The Romy bashers really get on my nerves. The WASRs are ugly yeah, but as long as you can go pick the gun up and inspect it for yourself (and know what to look for) you are going to get an AK that will perform as well as any AK with the exception of a few very expensive ones (like Arsenals and VEPRs).

My SAR runs like a top, gets the kind of accuracy you would expect from an AK, and looks (dang) good to boot. Is there anything else you're really looking for in an AK?

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt96/ew00724/ak2.jpg

noyes
January 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Nice

EdInk
January 3, 2010, 11:55 PM
The Polish and Bulgarian made are the closest to the Soviets. Also the quality is on par with them. Look for one of those three. Read Frank Iannamico's book for a detailed account of the various AK rifles. Model by model. Country by country. If you're an AR owner than the price of even a top quality AK will come as bargain to you by comparision. Also don't be shocked
if you like it better.

JKump
January 4, 2010, 10:23 AM
I also like the Romy SAR 1. I have never had a problem with mine and carry it on duty.

tINY
January 4, 2010, 11:20 AM
Be prepared to pay a mint for an original AK47. Those were full auto and very few were registered in the USA before 1986...

Also, the original AK47 had a milled receiver. Stamped frame variants are "AKM", the "M" meaning modernized.

-tINY

Quentin2
January 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
Though you said you didn't like the quality of the wood, WASRs are the AK's lowest common denominator as they're very close to a true AKM. The wood can be refinished but the milled out magwell and lack of "dimple" will scream to anyone familiar with AKs that this is a WASR. Otherwise the odds are you'll get a 100% reliable semiauto version of the AK. I have one and am satisfied as are most who buy one.

Moving up, unfortunately you get into the same ranking issues as the AR "chart". To make sense of it you have to dive in and do the research, otherwise you may pay too much or buy an inferior rifle. People are passionate about their choice so take sound advice but know the AK before buying. Spend some time on AK forums and I think you'll do fine.

Quentin2
January 4, 2010, 11:52 AM
Be prepared to pay a mint for an original AK47. Those were full auto and very few were registered in the USA before 1986...

Also, the original AK47 had a milled receiver. Stamped frame variants are "AKM", the "M" meaning modernized.

-tINY

That is true except that the very first AK-47s had stamped receivers which didn't work out so the Russians had to go to milled. Not long after the problems were resolved and the improved AKM returned to the stamped receiver.

zombieslayer
January 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
Saw Arsenals on sale at the central fl gunshow yesterday for 625.