PDA

View Full Version : Parker 16 Guage Model Questions

usholcombs
January 3, 2010, 11:41 AM
I inherited my Great Grandfathers 16 GA. Parker Side-By-Side and I'm searching for a Butt Plate. In doing so....I'm trying to identify the year made, model and quality grade. Really.....I want to find out everything I can about this model in addition to finding an original replacement Butt Plate The number on the trigger guard is 160410. The only other markings/stampings on the gun are <OV> ad JG. The gun is in excellent condition, original bluing, stock and typcial of a farmers gun. Well worn and in excellent firing order. Interesting thing about this gun is that when you fire a standard Dove load, the barrels "ring". Please help me with your expertise......Chris

zippy13
January 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
Greetings usholcombs, happy New Year, and welcome aboard.

A month ago, in the thread What makes a O/U so expensive, I commented:
Quality doubles typically have much lighter barrels than singles. The tubes are of the higher quality materials (more expensive steel alloy that's harder to machine) and are rendered with thinner walls than singles. After shooting a thin-walled high-grade barrel, that actually rings with each shot, going back to an 870 is akin to playing tennis with a fly swatter.

Does that describe your grandfather's fine old Parker?

usholcombs
January 3, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome and reply. I apreciate the information. I look forward to becoming more involved in this forum. Very interested in finding more out about this shotgun. Happy New Year!.....Chris

TsocketslugK
January 3, 2010, 01:09 PM
i heard regulating the barrels is what make them so pricy

John Peddie
January 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
Go to the Parker Society website for specific Parker questions. Good guys, most are Parker owners.

You'll need to sign up.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/

Snow Dog
January 3, 2010, 01:27 PM
Another good site is this one: http://www.doublegunshop.com/welcome.htm These guys know doubles! Your serial number dates the gun to circa 1912.

Dave McC
January 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm no Parker expert, but.....

The utility grade Parker was the Trojan. Same action as the higher grades, same fit,just no ornamentation and plain wood sans checkering.

The higher grades were letters. I think the lowest was a V grade, and the highest letter grade was an AA. There were also some specialty grades with names. An H after the grade indicated a hammer gun, an E that it had ejectors.

Only three Parker Invincible grades were made.

Frames came in numbered sizes, the biggest was about a 6,intended for the big 4 and 6 gauges used by Waterfowlers, and the smallest a 000,IIRC.

For 16 gauge, you could order it on a 2,1 1/2, 1,or 1/2 size. Most were 1 or 1 1/2s.It should be stamped on the water table.

Galazan,DBA Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing, sells replacement buttplates.

Finally, please have a qualified smith check your heirloom over before you shoot even one shell in it.

If the barrels are Damascus, it may be unsafe to fire. Hang it over the fireplace and admire it.

If the chambers are for shells shorter than those we use, pressures can destroy this fine old shotgun and maybe the shooter also. Short shells are available if it can be fired.

As for the ring, some shotguns do that and no probs. Others ring or more commonly buzz to indicate the barrels are separating.

You may want to google the name "Del Grego". Three generations of that family have been the go to folks for Parkers.

HTH.....

PetahW
January 3, 2010, 03:30 PM
Your Parker was made in 1912.

If you remove the forend, and unhook the barrels from the frame - more markings should be found, both on the barrel undersides and on the frame's watertable.

The gun's grade ("V", "G", etc) and frame size is usually marked (stamped) on the watertable flats; and shotshell/chamber information on the barrel flats.

It's most likely "short-chambered", i.e. chambered for the 2 9/16" long 16ga ILO the more modern 2 3/4" shell.
Although the longer shell will chamber, they are unsafe to fire in the short chamber, as the unfolded ends of the fired shell will lie in the forcing cone instead of the chamber, partially obstructing the passage of the shot charge, and raising internal pressure astronomically. DO NOT FIRE MODERN AMMO IN SHORT CHAMBERS !
Short ammo is commercially available.

Pics would certainly help.

Tony Galazan makes repro buttplates in different sizes for $20 a pop:

http://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

oneounceload
January 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
Besides Tony Galazan, you can try Numrich (Egunparts).

As PetahW said - have it properly checked before firing modern loads. The shell length measurement is for a FIRED shell, so an unfired shell will fit in a shorter-chambered gun. Short, low-pressure loads are available from a variety of sources, including RST and Polywad

usholcombs
January 3, 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks to all of you for the responses. It is interesting to me that several have dated the gun as 1912 (and that is fine) however, I was digging around on the Parker Gun Collectors Forum and the serial number range traced back to 1879. Where did you find your information about the date of this gun. I'm seriously interested in right information and would like to back it up. I love this old gun and it was hunting as little as a few years ago. Have had it checked out by an excellent gunsmith who said "I'd hunt with this gun today". I'm still looking for information and again, thanks.....Chris