PDA

View Full Version : Hogue stocks

warbirdlover
December 29, 2009, 02:05 AM
I've got a Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather with the old stock with the cutout section on the butt and the swivels built in (stupid idea). According to Ruger technical help I could put the 77 Hawkey synthetic stock on for over $200 (yikes) but could get a Hogue stock with the pillar bedding block for $150.

The original stock works fine but every time I buy a new sling I have to improvise to get it on. And if I ever wanted to put on a Harris bipod there is no sling stud on this stock. I won't clamp a bipod to the barrel.

Which way should I go, Ruger factory stock or Hogue? I've heard nothing but good things on the Hogue stocks so far.

Pic of my current stock attached.

youp
December 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
There is a Hogue overmold in the corner somewhere around here. I wear Cabelas dri plus outer wear and the squalling noise that wet stock on wet clothes makes got the stock "corner rated" by me.

warbirdlover
December 29, 2009, 09:01 AM
That must have been pretty loud. Any comments (from anyone) on how it effects (good, bad or no change) accuracy? That is my biggest concern as the gun shoots under MOA with anything I feed it if I do my part.

Abel
December 29, 2009, 09:06 AM
I love your old stock. I'm always on the lookout for a Ruger all weather 308 or 270 with that style stock. A classic.

warbirdlover
December 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
The stock works great it is just a pain putting on a new sling (like I did this year... Quake) because you have to cut it and take off the swivels that come with the sling and jury rig it. I ended up using the parts off my old sling to make it work. Guess that's not a big deal since I don't change slings very often but the (Harris and similar) bipod issue is more of why I was looking at a different stock. But I could just get one of the carry ones that all the TV guys use.

Usually I find a tree to rest my hand on (or my box blind) and that has worked for years. I always have tried to rest on something for a long shot. Usually plan my stand with that in mind if I'm not in a box stand.

So maybe I'll leave it alone... :p

tINY
December 29, 2009, 12:16 PM
Any military style sling should work with that stock.

-tINY

gearheadpyro
December 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
I've got 2 hogue stocks, one on a 10/22 which is great. Another on my Rem 700 .308, which is very good as well. The 700 is extremely accurate.

The angle on the hogue's hand grip isn't that great for what I do (mostly prone shooting) but for standing and shooting or hunting it works very well.

snipecatcher
December 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
Why not just get sling studs and install them on your current stock?

As an example:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=472204

You can find them at an local sporting goods store or gun shop for a few bucks. The first thing I did when I got my 10/22 was install sling studs. It was a wood stock, but installing them in synthetic won't be any different. With a drill and 10 minutes of your time, you can be done.
-Dan

Edit: looking at the rear of the stock, there may not be enough material to add one. You could still install one on the forend and be able to use a bipod though.

warbirdlover
December 30, 2009, 12:56 AM
I thought of installing those but not enough material to trust them. That's why I was looking at stocks.

riggins_83
December 30, 2009, 01:03 AM
I do love the Hogue overmold stocks. That being said sometimes it's hard to justify the cost

jmr40
December 30, 2009, 08:24 AM
Ask about the price on the Ruger synthetic stock. Last time I bought one it was $85 shipped from Ruger. I think they are a little better than the Hogue.

trigger45
December 31, 2009, 09:27 AM
I got the full bed for my howa 1500. groups before were 1 inch to 1.25 with best handloads. now .75 with most first 2 shots going into 1 hole and 3rd moving off a little cause of heat. factory barrel. works great, it reduced group size. and is comfortable.