PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new slide for my SIGMA

My870inVT
December 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
So my daily carry is a SW9VE sigma. I love the gun, it's affordable, it ALWAYS goes bang, and its slim enough for concealment. My only problem is the look. I don't mind the two tone all that much but I've seen that they also make this pistol with a black slide. I would LOVE this pistol all that much more if it was all black. (it would also help me stand out from my friends who have ALL subsequently bought this gun after my review of it)
So my question is, can I purchase this slide in black for a decent price, or is it technically a major enough part of the gun to where i'd have to purchase it as a gun through a FFL?
thanks to all in advance

Erich
December 28, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well, S&W won't sell it to you. You may be able to find it on an auction site, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But . . . if you're so determined to get that look, why don't you just have the slide coated? Google "gun refinishing" . . .

My870inVT
December 28, 2009, 09:22 PM
is this something i could do myself?

mavracer
December 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
is this something i could do myself?
yes, try cerama cote from midway.I'm on my second can.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=455475

ISC
December 28, 2009, 09:27 PM
buy a can of gunkote from brownells and follow the directions exactly. you could do that yourself in an afternoon while you watched a football game in the background.

My870inVT
December 28, 2009, 10:23 PM
I like the idea of that cerama cote. Is it really as easy as those Midway USA reviewers said? Also i kind of worry about voiding the lifetime waranty from smith and wesson.

David the Gnome
December 29, 2009, 08:03 AM
As cheap as the Sigma is I'd just buy one with a black slide if that's what you want.

My870inVT
December 29, 2009, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately the price is what drew me towards the SIGMA. I really can't afford another one. Any word on whether or not an after market coating will void my warranty?

Onward Allusion
December 29, 2009, 05:48 PM
A replacement slide will run you $200+ or almost the cost of a complete used one. I would call Smith & Wesson to get the scoop on the warranty issue.

My870inVT
Unfortunately the price is what drew me towards the SIGMA. I really can't afford another one. Any word on whether or not an after market coating will void my warranty?

Walt Sherrill
December 29, 2009, 06:26 PM
Any word on whether or not an after market coating will void my warranty?

About the only thing it would void is any warranty coverage on the finish -- which probably isn't going to cover much if what you've got is normal wear and tear.

Duracoat or one of those spray-one/baked finishes is probably your solution, and the price will be right.

(You'll need a small toaster oven to bake it in -- try the local thrift shop or Goodwill for one. You don't want to use the home oven if you've got a wife you want to keep. It will stink things up a bit.)

A lot of guns get to looking ratty from holster wear, etc., over time.

BerettaBuckeye
December 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
CCR will refinish yor slide for something like $50 and you will have a professional job. I'm pretty sure you can get different colors too you you can really be different if you like

Any word on whether or not an after market coating will void my warranty?

Take this for what it's worth but when I emailed S&W with the same question on my 457 their reply was except for anything having to do with the finish my lifetime warranty would be unaffected. I would suggest you email or call them just to be sure though.

Walt Sherrill
December 29, 2009, 06:54 PM
Sending the slide off for refinishing won't require that you use the expensive UPS or FedEx for shipment. (The SLIDE is not a "Firearm" and you can use priority mail and insure it. Be sure it insure for the full gun replacement cost.)

Elvishead
December 30, 2009, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately the price is what drew me towards the SIGMA. I really can't afford another one.

Well, I think that says it all right there, no pun.:rolleyes:

Can't have your gun and eat it too.:D