PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Plastic Stock

jdscholer
December 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
I picked up one of the Remington brand, plastic stocks for my 700 ADL, .222 at our gun show a few weeks back for fifty US dollars. My thoughts were to do a cammo job on it rather than the wooden factory stock.

Since then I have read a few posts where this stock was described as a piece of crap with no redeeming qualities, and I'm thinking "just great:("

I went ahead and put it on the rifle however and was pleased by the way that it fit, and also by the way it felt in my hands. It's about 4 oz lighter than the other one, and a little slimmer in the grip. I wasn't sure how it would shoot since it has a pressure point out on the for-end, and my other was a complete free float.

Well I got out today to shoot a few groups and was pleasantly surprised. Three groups (5 shot), and two of them were under an inch. (100 yds) This is pretty standard for this gun, and it will do a little better if I get picky with the brass in my reloads.

My main point however is that this very inexpensive stock seems OK as far as the purpose I got it for, and I doubt that one that costs four times more would make me any happier. OK, I don't like the hollow sound when I knock on the butt of it, but maybe a little expanding foam will cure that.:rolleyes: jd

LukeA
December 28, 2009, 01:12 AM
You can fill the cavity in the stock with about 8lb of lead shot to dampen recoil, not that that's really necessary with your caliber. :cool:

riggins_83
December 28, 2009, 01:13 AM
For a hunting rifle weight is more important than accuracy IMO. Granted I don't want a hunting rifle that's shooting 5MOA; I'll settle for around 1.5 MOA with a 30-06. For those who want to lug a 10lb rifle with a full pillar bedding up the mounting when hunting, go for it. I'll stick with my Tupperware stock on the hunting rifle.

tINY
December 28, 2009, 01:41 PM
With a plastic stock contacting the barrel out front, you'll do fine shooting off a bench with bags and possibly with a bipod. But, for field shooting and make-shift rests, you'll find that the shot will wander a lot with that set-up.

-tINY

jdscholer
December 28, 2009, 11:28 PM
With a plastic stock contacting the barrel out front, you'll do fine shooting off a bench with bags and possibly with a bipod. But, for field shooting and make-shift rests, you'll find that the shot will wander a lot with that set-up.

Heck, with field shooting and make-shift rests my shots wander all over the place anyway.:p jd

Hunter77
December 29, 2009, 01:45 AM
Tiny lost me on that one, too.

silent_warrior
December 29, 2009, 01:53 AM
He's saying the pressure on the barrel from the synthetic stock is pretty constant shooting from a fixed rest. That pressure will vary when you're gripping the forearm, and so will your groups.

My Rem 700 SPS shot consistent groups with the factory stock... consistently shotty that is. I put a laminate stock on it, hopefully that will fix the problem. Haven't shot it yet... its cold out. :p

The good news here is that I can sell my crappy stock to someone else and for $50! Woohoo!

jdscholer
December 29, 2009, 09:44 AM
The good news here is that I can sell my crappy stock to someone else and for $50! Woohoo!

A wise guy ehhh.:rolleyes:

Don't sell your crappy stock too soon. If your new one is a shotty shooter on your rifle, I'll give ya $70 for it.:p jd

tINY
December 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, a stock that contacts the barrel will shoot to different point of aim when you shoot off bags than when you sling up the rifle and rest your support arm on a branch or rock.

You may have low standards for yourself while field shooting, but I hope to keep shots into a CD/DVD at 100 yards. An extra 2-3" of shift due to how the fore-stock is held is not something I want to deal with

-tINY

kraigwy
December 29, 2009, 12:27 PM
I just made my grandson a 308 on a Remington Action, using the Plactic remington stock.

It dosnt WALK while shooting from a bench, sling, hasty position or offhand. In fact it shoots pretty good.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/posting/websize/Guns%20003.JPG

Picher
December 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Regarding plastic stocks of all makers:

If you want to see whether a rifle with a plastic stock will shoot to the same POI regardless of shooting position and sling/no sling, just take the end of the forend in one hand and the hold the pistol grip in the other and try to twist the forend or bend it toward the barrel. If it bends visibly, it probably will cause accuracy problems, especially if not generously free-floated.

Flexible plastic stocks move considerably when the rifle is fired and different rests or different shooting positions can adversly affect where bullets end up. People don't often shoot rifles at the range in all the positions they use in the field. They think that the bullet will always shoot where it does when rested on a sand bag, rolled blanket, or whatever. I've got news...it doesn't and the amount it goes off kilter is determined by stock stiffness and how it's bedded.

beckham
December 29, 2009, 04:06 PM
I put one of the Remington plastic stocks on my 700 ADL (270). I hated the hollow sound. Added some expanding foam. This helped absorb some of the recoil and killed the hollow sound.

Hunter77
December 29, 2009, 04:41 PM
I wasn't trying to come off as disrespectful, although it sounds like my reply was taken that way. I didn't know there were issues with these plastic stocks. All I've ever heard was how stable synthetic stocks are...blah, blah...

This is all of interest to me because I just fitted a Remington 7 Magnum (270WSM) with a Rem plastic stock. I should have known that $35.00 brand new from Numrich was too good to be true. Thanks to you internet guys I NOW know that it might not shoot well once I get it off the bench. If that is the case I'll just have to find a more rigid stock. I'm refitting this Rem 7 action from the laminated thumbhole stock it came with (bought the gun lightly used for a decent price). I'll have to see how it shoots and go from there.

If I have problems, is that McMillan ultralight stock a worthy synthetic for this rifle?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8716/dsc02603ct.jpg

tINY
December 29, 2009, 06:08 PM
I still have the tupperware stock on my Mod Seven (308). I liked the way it handled.

But, I epoxyed an aluminum bar into the forearm and relieved almost 1/8" around the barrel. I bedded the action as well.

Laminate stocks are tempting, but wieght and balance are an issue too. I like it the way it shoots now...

-tINY

jdscholer
December 30, 2009, 12:34 AM
Well now --- y'all have succeeded in making me curious as to just how much deflection I might endure from the pressure point in my plastic stock. I don't disagree with tINY and others that this happens, I just hope that it doesn't happen to the degree that he says. (2 or 3 inches at 100 yds.)

This shouldn't be too hard to determine with this rifle, as it is a good grouper, and I am already pleased to see that the new stock hasn't caused problems in that regard.

I propose to do this by shooting a group from the sand bags in my usual way with the rear bag under the mid-section of the butt stock and the front bag under the forward portion of the fore-stock. This should cause maximum sand bag deflection.

The next group, I'll place the forward bag further back, under the stock screw. This is not quite as good for a rock-steady rest, but should pretty much do away with any for-end deflection caused by the bags on the stock.

This is admitadly a very basic test, which pertains only to my rifle (or possibly to other rifles with this same stock), but these two different shooting positions should show the extent of stock caused deflection if there is going to be any. Let me know if you disagree.

By the way, I don't hold my field marksmanship in low regard, but I also try not to take myself too seriously. I like to keep it fun, and learn a little (or a lot) along the way.

I think that tINy's goal of keeping his shots on a dvd (about 5 11/16") is admirable, and we rifle shooters with a MOA rifle should pretty much be able to do it; I can if the wind isn't blowing too hard. If you do the dvd test however, pick up your "synthetic targets" when you're done. jd

Swampghost
December 30, 2009, 01:40 AM
I bought a 700 w/plastic stock in .243. It shot so well that I didn't consider free floating. Sub MOA @ 200 yds. and a guy a few lanes down asking me to join his F-Class group is good enough for my hunting rifle.

Addendum: My son and I are discussing going into F-Class also start "rolling our own".

Picher
December 30, 2009, 06:32 AM
The cheaper plastic stocks will shoot better if pillar-bedded properly, including embedding a bolt across the forward bedding area (but not through the stock).

I repaired a cracked plastic stock on a Rem Model 7 that way, including pillars and free-floating. It was shooting 2 1/2" groups and now shoots less than 1/2 min., printing a perfect cloverleaf at 100 yards, using Factory Core-Locts. After shortening the stock, the woman absolutely loves it and hits everything she shoots at.

tINY
December 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
If you want a better test for POI shift:

1) shoot from bags in your normal fashion

2) Use something hard under the forend instead of bags

3) cinch up in a hasty sling position with your support arm rested on the front bag and no rear bag.

...for a bounus, shoot from prone as well.

-tINY

Fat White Boy
December 31, 2009, 12:10 AM
Silent- I took off my laminated stock and put the Remington synthetic on my 700VLS without any loss in accuracy.