PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion in bore

guitar1580
December 25, 2009, 02:01 AM
I was cleaning my 40 yr old single shot Winchester, which hadn't been outta the closet in years. The bore is still near perfect, except for one small spot, about 4 inches from the muzzle, where in looks like some surface corrosion is starting ... just one 3/16" circular area which doesn't want to come clean, even with the wire brush and solvent. I can't quite get my pinky in there to feel it, and I'm not sure if its dirt or rust / pitting.

I'm going to get some foaming bore cleaner, and let it soak a little while in that. If that doesnt work, I thought about taping some fine steel wool to a small wooden dowel rod, and buffing it a little. Is this a good / bad idea, or should I just leave it alone? It's only the one small spot, and I don't want to screw anything up.

Josh P

zippy13
December 25, 2009, 02:21 AM
You might want to try some Flitz metal polish on a tooth brush. I works wonderfully in applications where steel wool if overkill.

sourdough44
December 25, 2009, 07:28 AM
My 'rusty bore' method is Kroil oil & JB bore polish, used alternately. Be sure & go over stored firearms once a year or so & leave a light coat of oil inside & out.

Ricklin
December 25, 2009, 10:00 AM
4/0 steel wool on the end of a 3/8" wooden dowel slot the end of the dowel, and chuck the other end in your trusty variable speed electric drill. Put some light oil on the steel wool. Keep the RPM's low and check your progress often. I would determine how bad the corrosion is before I employed this method. Bronze wool may also be effective and less aggresive.