PDA

View Full Version : Browning and Winchester

roc1
December 22, 2009, 07:52 PM
First of all this is not a negative about either Browning or Winchester. I would love to have new model 70. My question is with both companies under the FN Herstal wing as I understand it. What is the real difference between any rifle from either company? The Winchester is made by FN and the Browning made in Japan? Neither is made by an American company right? I guess that part is over know except maybe Ruger which may be the last true American company. I was just curious if either brands nowdays are relly any different?
Thanks
roc1

James R. Burke
December 22, 2009, 08:42 PM
I can only speak for the Browning 22 auto's. I had a few of them, and the short throw lever. I could not tell any diffference between them. The Jap ones may have performed better.

James R. Burke
December 22, 2009, 08:43 PM
I can only speak for the Browning 22 auto's. I had a few of them, and the short throw lever. I could not tell any diffference between them. The Jap ones may have performed better. I am not say the U.S.A. should not get our business they should but so many now have switched. I guess in part thats why I do shoot alot of Rugers

crimsondave
December 22, 2009, 10:09 PM
They are not even remotely similar. Winchester model 70 is a REAL Winchester model 70. It is owned by FN, but it is made in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a true control feed model 70 just like the old ones. GREAT gun.

Browning bolt guns are Japanese made, I think, but the BAR is made in Belgium. The browning A bolt and X bolt are push feed rifles and totally different designs than the model 70. I have a BAR and love it. The A bolt and X bolt are suppossed to be excellent guns as well.

I have a model 70, but I don't have a browning bolt gun.

Oilburner350
December 23, 2009, 08:21 AM
The new 70's have a new trigger. They are not the same as the 70's of old.

crimsondave
December 23, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah, they are really pushing the new trigger system. I don't have a new one so I don't know first hand how good it is.

fyimo
December 23, 2009, 09:23 AM
Both companies make excellent rifles and I own some of each so to me it doesn't matter where they are made. Most of my other rifles are Sako and FN Mauser and I own one CZ American 550 all made outside the USA. I do own 2 Ruger Model 77 with tang safeties and would buy another. I'm all for made in America but when it comes to guns I buy the ones I like and the best I can afford.

Now on pistols I only have three brands and on revolvers it's S&W, on 1911's it's Colt, and on other Semi Auto's it's Sig.