PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about the .243

troy_mclure
December 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
im kinda thinking of picking up a .243 barrel. i know this is a fast, flat shooting round.
i know its fairly popular for deer, and varmints.
its also considered too big for varmints, and too small for deer.

ive shot a few different rifles chambered in this cartridge at the range, but never more than 100yd.

how do like your .243?
what do you shoot(at) with it?
whats your opinion of the cartridge?
+/-??

ive picked up a used set of dies, and have gathered 40 cases so far, but im still not decided on it.

bigghoss
December 22, 2009, 02:28 AM
I've read that if the shooter can put the bullet where it's meant to go the .243 and similar cartridges can even be effective on elk. I've also heard that it can do well for coyotes as well. I have yet to actually take any game with my .243 but I've not heard anyone claim it isn't enough for whitetail unless maybe you're talking about some way out there shots

your opinion on weather or not it's too big for varmint depends on the specific load you use and how much of the animal you want to recover.:D I would imagine anything much smaller than a coyote would get a bit messy as could a 'yote depending on the type of bullets used

my first .243 was a savage that I bought for $150 that I only got because I knew it was a screaming deal and I knew I could turn a profit. sold it for a $100 profit and regretted it not long after. I've since replaced it with an NEF that's a great shooter that I won't soon be letting go.

comn-cents
December 22, 2009, 03:02 AM
I've had 2 different 243 both Rugers. One an international stocked m77 and the other a target mdl 77mk2. Before I got to hunt with them I had to sell them. Wish I still had them and will get another one of these days. I shot the Target at 250yrds with factory loads and it was pushing 2in groups. The international was going to be my deer gun hear in Oregon. I never reloaded for either but I really like the round.

qwman68
December 22, 2009, 03:33 AM
i have a handi rifle in .243 with a burris scope and it shoots 1-1.5in. groups at 100yrds with cor-lokt 100gr. bullets. i reload but not for that.. never had any issues one way or another with it. there are alot of loads with the .243 caliber and that is a definate plus. everyone around here who shoots 243 do pretty good with it. some day i would like to try some good loads in it cause i think it will shoot sub moa.. i say get the barrel, you will like it.

10-96
December 22, 2009, 04:15 AM
I have a heavy varmint rifle (Remington 700) in .243 flavor. The rifle weighs just a wee tad under 11lbs so it isn't a rifle I'd tote for long distances. My pet load is a 58gr bullet and Big Game (Ramshot) powder- it gets me 3777fps (10 string avg over a chony @ 10ft). Now, I don't keep pelts or mounts so I don't care what it does to the critter, but it's the only rifle in my collection that's capable of 400+ yds for pararie dogs, yotes, and such. I like my .243 and as much as I admire the .22-250, .220 Swift, and .25-06 the .243 just fills any gaps to my liking and negates any real need I might have to get those calibers.

mikejonestkd
December 22, 2009, 06:28 AM
I have a 15" pistol barrel for my encore, a custom 26" barrel for my encore and a Rem model 7- all in .243.

One of the senior members on the forum summarized the .243 by saying " It kills bigger and better than it ought to ", and I completely agree.

It is one of my favorite cartridges and with modern loads is very adaptable to use on everything from woodchucks all the way to the big corn fed farm land deer we have around here. I have not lost a deer that i have hit with a .243, and deer drop as quickly as they would after being hit with a larger caliber like a .308 win.

Picher
December 22, 2009, 06:41 AM
Okay, so you have dies and cases. Seems like the next thing to buy is a rifle. If I didn't already have a .270 Win, .22-250 Rem, and .223 Rem, I'd buy a .243 Win.

I also had a Rem 700 BDL Varmint model in 6mm Rem. and loved shooting it, even in benchrest competition, but it was just too heavy to carry around the Maine fields the way we hunted woodchucks. If it was lighter, I'd still have it today. I used 83, 85, and 90 grain bullets to shoot chucks and it was fantastic at both short and long range. It was better in the tricky springtime winds and got me plenty of chucks, but it was like lugging a cannon, so I got rid of it.

The only reason why I didn't get another 6mm or .243Win rifle is that it was a bit louder than I felt comfortable shooting within a half-mile of houses. Sound travels farther in fields than in woods and we were getting concerned about not being able to hunt in some of our favorite places, so went back to the .22-250 Rem.

fyimo
December 22, 2009, 07:16 AM
The 243 is an excellent round with light recoil that shoots flat and hits hard and it's designed for a short action rifle. When I lived in Colorado I hunted Antelope with a 243 and it was excellent. That said I bought a 25-06 and it's better but is made for a long action rifle and they both get the job done very well on Deer sized animals. I would not use either for Elk but that's just me.

sandman
December 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
My first centerfire rifle was a .243, in a Ruger M-77. I have hunted the small Florida deer with it, shot cans off stumps at 250 yds and generally enjoyed the rifle. That particular gun had a very light safety, and was easily knocked off/on if you weren't careful while wearing gloves. My wife wasn't away of this and accidently discharged it while sitting in her Dad's brand new pickup. Interesting path that the bullet took, destroying everything in it's way until it finally splattered on the 1.25" front sway bar. It was a handloaded 105 grain hollowpoint and did some nasty damage to the front of the pickup.
The wife has a Chevy bowtie hanging over the mantel of the fireplace.
sandman

jsr76
December 22, 2009, 09:16 AM
I've had several .243's and only one 25-06. There is a reason for that.:D The .243 is a good/ almost great round. The .25-06 is a great round. For smaller southern deer and down as well as most deer anywhere in the U.S. the .243 is very good. For Elk and down and also at long range, the .25-06 is VERY good. Count Elk out of the picture and the .25-06 is EXCELLENT.:D Both are good and effective, just the .25-06 is MUCH more effective,,,,everywhere. Faster at 120 grains than the .243 with 100's. Still no recoil. Quite obvious. 87's at 3600 to 3700. You don't need more flat than that. All this while outflatting the great .270 win. with almost no recoil. THE ultimate long range non-magnum rifle cartridge from Elk on down. MY educated opinion only!;)

Scout
December 22, 2009, 09:34 AM
I've had a Stevens 200 in .243 for a few months now. It shoots factory Federal Power Shoks in 80 gr. soft point very well. I've only killed one game animal with it so far. A 100 pound hog went down without twitch. The bullet entered and exited through the neck, just forward of the shoulder. I didn't gut this hog, just took his hams, backstraps and shoulders. There was evidence of bullet fragmentation though.(Maybe bone.) Lots of blood under the skin all behind the entry and exit. I was pleased with the result.

kraigwy
December 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
I shoot a 257 Roberts and have no problem with it. My wife wanted a hunting rifle but didnt want recoil. I had an old Model 70 action laying around, bought a barrel blank and made her a 243. Nothing fancy, just a hunting rifle. Many people buy rifles an deside to put plastic stocks on them. That leaves gunsmiths with new or near new factory wooden stocks. I got one for dern near nothing.

After test fireing my wifes new rifle, I loaded up some what I thought was decient ammo and Lupy fixed 4 X scope. and started shooting. I found the first group I shot (three rounds) was smaller then a one shot group I got with my 45-70. (no I cant do that all the time, the gun can but I cant.)

Anyway I was highly impressed. I tried to trade her my Model 70 in 257 Rbts but she wouldnt have anything to do with it.

Yes sir, I'm impressed with the 243. I've seen some dern good target rifles using the 243 about accross the course and 1000 yard guns.

I've heard they have a short barrel life, but I havent shot one enough to tell for my self.

You want a good hunting rifle for deer size animals I dont think you could do better.

howwie
December 22, 2009, 10:28 AM
I hunt with a .243 because my father got it for me a long time ago. I have yet to have a deer take more than 2 steps before dropping. That being said, none of the shots were over 100yds. But as far as I'm concerned, within 100yds you can't beat it. I love mine and havn't seen the need to switch over to something larger yet. One of the deer I killed with varmint shot too... lol...didn't realize it til after, shot her right in the small of the neck and did the job. Would I do it on purpose? no. Was it funny? Yes it was.

gkdir
December 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
Have shot the .243 off and on, for the past 20 years. Several white tail, one mulie, one speed goat, a few yotes, and a one time outing with prairie dogs--all of them "bang-plop". Can't ask anymore than that. We shot a dog town in western Kansas a few yrs. back, and after 300 rds, even the seemingly light recoil of the .243, will build on ya. I wouldn't intentionaly use it on an elk size animal, but with a 110gr custom load, I have no doubt it would get the job done effectively out to 200yds--after that I would think its loosing some of its sizzle. Have a friend in Ga. that uses his on the local population of bears all the time--seems to be satisfied with it. I always look at the caliber of a gun with the thought that "if this is absolutely the only thing available, can I make it work" The .243 gets a thumbs up.

globemaster3
December 22, 2009, 10:59 AM
I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard Youth in .243 for my oldest daughter for deer and hog hunting. The first pig killed with it went ~175 pounds and she nailed the heart. Devastating with Winchester Silvertips.

The next animal she tipped over was a 3 year old spike on a cull hunt in Texas. 85 yards, same bullet, she pulled the shot and took it high. The bullet entered just below the spine and shredded a beautiful wound channel everything. The deer dropped right there.

Now, the only problem I see with that round is its so fun to shoot!:D I put my .308 down and pick hers up!

Growing up in Florida, .243 was the most popular caliber with the group I hunted with. We hunted both hogs and deer (caveat that Florida deer are small as sandman said). Never once did we have to seriously track an animal that was shot in the vitals. Now, tracking to within 15 feet of POI, that was normal, but not much farther.

I've heard the same rumors about Elk when stationed in WA, but I've never seen it first hand. With so many better suited cartridges for that job, I'd be much more inclined to leave the .243 in the safe for an Elk hunt.

JCRFARMS
December 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
I got a tikka in a 243 last feb. for my birthday. Shot an 8 pt. deer with it thanksgiving morning. 100 grain Nostler Partition went thru deer and left nice blood trail about 30 yards to where I found him. I have a Tikka in 300 wsm but I think the 243 is what I will be toten most of the time. Very easy to shoot.

MoBart
December 22, 2009, 11:17 AM
.243 was my first centerfire rifle, a hand me down from dad. I've shot alot of coyotes and several deer with it. Mine was a cheap old Win. model 670. A bargin mart version of the model 70 more or less. Dad got it cheap used when I was a baby so it was old. However, it shot great groups. I had an old redfield fixed 4power scope on it and never needed anything else. I only had one hit on a deer that wasn't a one shot stop and that was my fault cause I hit a little to far back on the chest. He was dow within 100 yards though. Never had a reason or chance to shoot more then about 160 yards r so but, everyone I have ever talked to that has used that round out to about 300 yards has been properly impressed. Its also one of the most accurate centerfire rounds I have ever shot. I've had 2 or 3 different ones over the years. The 670, a barrel for the Encore I miss almost as much as a lost love, and a savage model 10 with the accu trigger. All three shot tight little clusters at teh range, carried great in the field, and never failed to make solid clean kills on deer. I live in North West Mo so we have big bodied whitetails that eat grain crops like beef cattle so they get heavy muscled and big bodied. Never had an issue other then the one I mentiond and again, that was my fault.

Legionnaire
December 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm no expert, but I like the .243. First one I bought (years ago) was a Remington Model Seven Youth for my son to hunt with. It now sits in an H.S. Precision sporter stock and wears a Leupold 2-7X compact scope. It has taken quite a few whitetail and groundhogs. Despite its carbine length and lightweight barrel, it shoots plenty accurate for its purpose.

I recently bought an older 700 BDL Varmint that I'm getting set up for varmints and targets. I haven't done any comparative testing of different loads - factory or otherwise - but was pleased to find it was shooting just under 1" 5-shot groups with 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts. I expect with some research and experimentation I should be able to do much better than that.

Also had an Encore pistol in .243 that I regret parting with. Bought another Encore recently and haven't acquired a .243 barrel for it yet ... but I will!

Dave R
December 22, 2009, 01:06 PM
ive picked up a used set of dies, and have gathered 40 cases so far, but im still not decided on it. Sounds like you ARE decided ;-)

And this group is NOT going to talk you out of buying a .243.

I hope that means a Merry Christmas for you...

James R. Burke
December 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
I do reload and my wife has the .243 Ruger No 1A light sporter. Its a great rifle. So far she shot at two deer and got them both. A buck double lung shot pass thru went about 30 yards or so. Then she filled her doe tag with a neck shot dropped right on the spot. I think for deer there good, but like the prior post shot placement is key, and that is for any rifle. She did leave a few walk away that were bigger but she did not feel good about the shot. That to me is a true sportsperson. Reloading I use for her rifle a Nosler 100 grain Partition they work well on deer. There are some other good ones out there also. You can buy these factory made but they do cost a few bucks. Five shots will stay in 1" all day long. I started working her up a varmint load for the off season's. I am not there yet but real close. I believe the next ones I try will be it. Using a Nosler 55 grain B.T. with H-414 I expect them to be at about 3900 f.p.s. Her deer round with the 100 grain Nosler Partition, is just under 3000 f.p.s with a five shot average. That 55 grian so far is staying under 1" at 100 yards so its working I think pretty good out of a rifle by no means is a varmint set up. I think you would like the .243 and it's ability to cover a wide range with low recoil. I dont think you would be dissapointed

mt_dren
December 22, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have had a 788 243 for 15+ years and it is fun to shoot. Shot plenty of deer with it out any problems, most don't go very far. It is usually easy to find ammo and reloading supplies at any shop.

oneoldsap
December 22, 2009, 08:11 PM
I do believe that the .243 Win. is the second most popular cartridge in America ! The 30-06 being #1 and it had a 50 year head start plus it was military which also gives it a leg up . I have a friend that bought his .243 when it was introduced in 1955 . Arn proceeded to kill at least 1 deer a year a year with it for the next 45 years . Now that is one hell of a track record , let alone the fact that he never had to shoot one twice . I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how many woodchucks he shot with it over those years , over a thousand for sure . The rifle is a M70 Win. I have a M70 in .243 Win. That I shoot everything but deer with , usually a 75Gr. Hornady over a near max load of good old IMR-3031 . This rifle lives in my truck , that,s pretty high praise for me , It,s what I want at hand when the need for a rifle arises

bigwrench
December 24, 2009, 01:25 AM
.243 does me a good job on big Utah mulies, and my goto on pronghorns. Not having one is reason enough to get one imo!

FrankenMauser
December 24, 2009, 01:44 AM
I've had my .243 along on trips for Mulies, Elk, Pronghorn, and various small game. As long as the shot is place correctly (which goes for even the mega magnums) and the proper bullet is chosen; the .243 will deliver.

It's a great cartridge.

Just be aware that many .243s don't have the proper twist rate to stabilize 100gr+ bullets. Stick with 95s or less, until you know that your rifle can handle it. (The cartridge was designed around the 87gr SP. It's always a winner, with some fantastic bullets available in the 85-90gr weight class.)

Swampghost
December 24, 2009, 01:57 AM
Mod 700 SPS here and it will put most into a Shoot-N-See repair dot @ 200 with a hunting scope, could do better with a target scope and not having to guess where the center of the dot is as it's covered by the crosshairs.

I haven't had a deer make it past 30 yds. and most are DRT.

robctwo
December 24, 2009, 05:49 AM
My dad says when he hears my .243 crack in the woods his mouth starts to water.

sandman
December 27, 2009, 02:53 PM
Last time I checked, 100 grain bullets were the high end for a .243 but if you reload you can pick up 105 grain bullets. If your loading your own, you can make these 105 bullets hot enough to take out a bowtie. (wife shot my father in laws new pickup with one)
sandman

Rangefinder
December 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
I use a Remi 6mm---which is a .243 wrapped in an ever-so-slightly larger casing. The performance ranges are similar enough that they might as well be the same in most respects. It will shoot single-hole 100yd groups all day long. I use it with 90gr Sierra FMJ/BT's as a 1000 meter target rifle, and with 105gr Sierra's I can take elk with surgical reliably, 55gr. Nosler Ballistic tips at max load can get hopped up to around 4100FPS (even though I keep em down around 3800 or lower) and no yote in the country is safe inside 500yds.

I'd have to advise you on one issue though---they're so much fun to shoot that it will spoil you badly in your expectations of other rifles. :D Do it anyway--it's worth the risk of being spoiled!

if you reload you can pick up 105 grain bullets.

Actually, my Spear manual has all the way up to a 115gr. listing. They're a big round-nosed ugly thing that I've never personally bothered to even look for, but they ARE out there.

Danny Creasy
December 27, 2009, 07:26 PM
Model 70 purchased new in 1977. Leupold M8 fixed 6 power with centerpointed crosshairs.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/WinchesterModel70-2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/WinchesterModel70-1.jpg

100 yard one hole 3 shot group. It may have been a bit of a fluke but the rifle sure liked this Federal Premier factory loading (95 grain Sierra BTHP Gamekings):

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/DSC03274.jpg

cole k
December 27, 2009, 09:55 PM
Well, a .243 will work for most game, but I prefer something with a little more frontal area like a .257 Roberts or a .25-06.

dochawg
December 28, 2009, 09:18 AM
I took a nice 9 pointer with 13 inch G2's at 250 yrds this year with my .243. I hit him a little high, but it dropped him in his tracks. I was shooting federal power shock bullets. The are the fastest sub $20 box of ammo I can find and I love them.

jb

jsr76
December 29, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well if a rifle only shoots as good as that target it should definitely be gotten rid of. Since it is Christmas season I'd be willing to give you enough for it to buy a brand new one, if it only shoots like that!:D

bamaranger
December 31, 2009, 01:09 PM
I inherited my Dad's .243 Sav 110. I have no idea why he bought it, as he already owned another deer rifle and was not one to splurge, not into rifles, etc.

It is a Savage J series, a long action, purchased in the early 80's I'd guess, w/ the prettiest piece of walnut you ever saw on a factory savage, or other maker for that matter. When it came to me the trigger was terrible, but some tweaking yielded a very useable go button. Dad had it set up w/ a cheap scope and iron sighter mounts ( he never did trust scopes), which, sentimental matters aside, I removed and replaced w/ a Leu 3-9 and quality rings and bases.

I have dies and a supply of 100 gr Nosler Partitions ready, but the rifle shoots into an inch and a quarter w/ Rem 100 gr factory loads, and several boxes came w/ the rifle, so I've not loaded for it.

I worked on the rifle off and on all season the year Dad died, and was able to start hunting w/ it towards the latter part. On the last day of the 03/04 season, I looked at 12 different whitetails w/ it on a r.o.w. near my home, including a racked buck that did not expose itself long enough for a shot, and several smallish spikes, that I did not want to shoot.

Finally right at last useable shooting light, on a full moon no less, a bigger spike stepped out and I decided I would take him. Range was only about 50 yds, and the hit was on the point of the shoulder. The deer went down in a pile and never twitched. The 100 gr Rem broke the onside shoulder, and got caught by the hide behind the off side one. The bullet looked like something from a Rem advertisement. Perfect mushroom and very dead deer.

One of these days, I'm going to let my 14 yr old boy carry it (he's to dang clumsy right now!) and I'll take my Grandad's Win 88. There will be 4 generations of us on stand!!!

Ryanfromcanada
December 31, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think part of the killing power of the 243 is the light recoil. Macho or not when i shoot a lighter rifle i shoot it more and better. Shot placment seals the deal.

bamaranger
January 2, 2010, 08:30 PM
My Dad was a tough guy, college football, martial arts later, but he flinched w/ a rifle.

He shot the .243 better than his other rifle, I believe due to lesser recoil.

Catfish25p2000
January 2, 2010, 09:17 PM
Go with the .243. You will not be dissappointed.

EstillEngineer#59
January 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
i really want a .243 just dont have the funds. but i kno tons of people who kill plenty of deer with them and i wouldnt be worried about preserving the hides so id love to have one for yotes:D