PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 70 by FNH

Big Bill
December 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
This is from Winchester's website:

Built Right, Built in the USA

The All-American Model 70s are built by American craftsmen in Columbia, South Carolina, at the same state-of-the-art factory as the rifles and machine guns used by America’s Armed Forces to defend freedom around the world. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that Uncle Sam insists upon for military firearms.I saw on American Guardian yesterday that FNH is building the Winchester model 70 in it's plant in South Carolina. I'm happy that FNH is building this great product in South Carolina and it looks like it's now a more high quality product. What're your thoughts?

kraigwy
December 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
I have serveral Model 70s, post and pre-64s. I also have the new FN Model 70. Without a doubt its the bests Model 70 of the lot.

L-Ray
December 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm hoping it is a high quality product. I just bought a Super Grade in 270 WSM. It's still in the box until I get a scope for it.

GeauxTide
December 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
I have one of the last runs of 70 Classics from Southport. I've thoroughly inspected an FN model and the fit and finish is flawless. My old gunsmith, who sold me the Soutport piece says the FNs carry on the fine reputation of the Model 70. BTH, I'll be buying another one in the spring.

kwells6
December 17, 2009, 10:32 PM
from the looks of it, they will be superb weapons, one I will HIGHLY want... I actually want one of the TSR's (Tactical Sport Rifle)

Oilburner350
December 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
The new rifles look pretty good. I just wish they kept the old trigger.

Jack Hester
December 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
I hope this link works:

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/Jack_Hester/Shooting/Double H Gunsmithing/?track=share_email_album_view_click

This a varmint rifle that I had build around a new FN SPR action. The builder stated that it is FN's heavier version of the Model 70, used only in their tactical rifles. I originally commented to the gunsmith that I would love to build around an old Win Model 70 action, but did not want to use a donor rifle. I don't like to scavenge from old firearms, unless the barrel is shot out. That's when he turned me on to this action, informing me of the quality. Picked it up on 11Dec09, and only today (18Dec) received some .22-250 brass to fire-form. It was built around a caliber, from a man that I've admired for quite some time, Parker Otto Ackley. The load specs that I will start out with will be from the .220 Swift data sheets. The gunsmith fired 10 rounds in it (100 yards), 5 old reloads and 5 new factory loads, all in standard .22-250. A combination of giving the rifle a good test before letting it out of the shop. And, zeroing the scope on paper. Old loads grouped right at an inch, and new loads grouped at approximately a half an inch. None of these were being fired for accuracy, as he knew that they would not perform well in the Ackley Improved chamber.

Anyway, won't be carrying this one too far (17.5 lbs) on foot, and will probably shoot it mostly from a bench. Occasionally, from prone. My bench is very portable. It's snowing this evening, and calling for more tomorrow (Sat). I'll be working up some test loads for the range.

Jack

PS - Pictures are in reverse order.

Ralph Allen
December 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
Big Bill, I have an FNH SPR. Waited 9 months for this rifle to arrive. It is definately top notch quality. If FN is making the new Winchester's, Then I'm sure quality will be really good. This SPR of mine is a .23 gun with factory ammo. Handloads are a little better, but it;s hard to top a 1 hole spread. I just cant hold much tighter. Happy trails, Ralph

tachunter
December 19, 2009, 03:39 AM
I have serveral Model 70s, post and pre-64s. I also have the new FN Model 70. Without a doubt its the bests Model 70 of the lot.

Disagree. The pre-64's are at least in my opinion the best model 70 ever produced.

xwe666
December 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
I own two of the new fn mod 70 a 22-250 coyote and a fwt 300 win mag.Both seem prety well built and the 300 shot pretty good (I haven't shoot the 22-250 yet).The trigger are also nice.

Oilburner350
December 19, 2009, 08:37 AM
I would try one of the new FN 70's before a pre-64 built after about 1960.

Horseman
December 19, 2009, 09:32 AM
The pre-64's are at least in my opinion the best model 70 ever produced.

Agreed. If the pre 64 were introduced today with the one piece bolt it would be HUGE. Not even close.

ZeroJunk
December 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
I have a 1953 Model 70. I have had it for probably 30 years. I have to say that I have never seen a bolt action work any slicker. The FN model 70 That I handled seemed to work equally as well, and the wormanship was excellent.

I never thought a lot about it until I had a pushfeed model 70 that would actually toss the cartridge out of the gun when it came out of the magazine. I actually laughed.

i50sx
December 19, 2009, 04:05 PM
I own the M70 featherweight classic prob the last one ever sold from conn...got it a while after news broke......been told its a copy of the pre-64..been told its just as good...and been told its not very good....
what's the skinny on this gun?

ZeroJunk
December 19, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have had a handful of Model 70 CRF rifles from pre war models to a late production from Conn.
I have never had a problem with any of them and am hunting this season with a 7 Rem Mag Stainless Classic that works flawlessly and shoots great.

Now, some of the later models had a very tight safety, but I suspect that may have been liability concern. If you get in the habit of using your thumb and forefinger instead of just flipping the safety you can dio it quietly. No big deal.

Big Bill
December 19, 2009, 05:43 PM
I bought a .300 WSM Model 70 just before they quit building them. When I got it home, right out of the box the safety didn't work. I took it to my gunsmith and he told me that he had seen a bunch of Model 70s that had just been thrown together. So, I took the gun back and got a Savage in the same caliber. I wasn't disappointed. But now, I'm ready to give the model 70 another try.

Oneholewonder
December 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
I'm old school and pretty much every rifle I buy has a better than average piece of wood with some nice grain and/or figuring. I'm patient and keep checking the new gun racks until I'm lucky enough to find an unusually good example then I buy them on the spot.

New and used that's how I buy 'em. As far as bolt rifles go I own and have owned Model 70 Classics and Pre 64s, Ruger Hawkeye, Remington 700s, H&R Ultras, BSAs...you name it at one point I've owned it with an exceptional piece of wood.

I've been admiring the FN Model 70s for what seems like two years now. The workmanship looks great. They seem to be made at least as well as the Classics but I have yet to see one with a better than average piece of wood. I've seen and handled a bunch and I'm not asking for that much...just a bit of grain or something interesting in the wood. So far I've been disappointed.

It was really easy for me to find a Ruger Hawkeye with really nice wood. In fact about one out of every three Hawkeye's I've seen have wood nice enough for my taste. I wish somebody at the factory would make the mistake of putting a nice piece of wood on one of those FN Winchester 70s. I'd snap it up in a second.