PDA

View Full Version : ANTI free floating my 10/22?

Psychlopath
December 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
Seeing the post asking about free floating barrels reminded me about a question that I have had for a number of years.

When I was 17, I built a custom 22 out of a stainless 10/22 that I'd given to my dad as a gift (I was so proud of myself...) and had recieved back when he'd passed.

At any rate, I decided (I wish I'd just left it now and bought another one to do this with...) that I needed something wonderful. So I went out and bought a kit from a company some of you may have heard of called Volquartzen.

I really thought it was a thing of beauty. I found issues with it, as I do with anything that seems like it cost more than I should have spent. For example, the coffee stock had a mis drilled hole in it where it was obvious the hole had been partially drilled in the wrong spot and then corrected. There was even a tiiiiiny red X in it. I was too excited to notice it when I'd picked it up, though.

Anyhow,back to the point: one of the things that I'd noticed is that the barrel was intended to NOT be free floating.

Can someone tell me why this is?

It's got a rubber bit near the end of the stock that can sort of be adjusted as to how much pressure it puts on the barrel by tightening or loosening a small allen screw.

It seems to go counter to the standard logic of being able to slide a bill between the stock and the steel.

Thanks for the input!

tINY
December 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
With the aluminum receiver, sometimes the 10/22 gets the barrel mounted rigidly and the receiver free-floated.

The main goal is consistency shot-to-shot.

-tINY

CraigC
December 17, 2009, 11:54 AM
The rifle's aluminum receiver was never meant to support the weight of a free floated steel .920" barrel. Some folks free float them anyway. Some bed the barrel and float the receiver, some bed the receiver and put an adjustable pressure point in the forend like the one you described. Go to RimfireCentral.com and prepare to learn more about the 10/22 than you ever wanted to know.

L_Killkenny
December 17, 2009, 12:32 PM
Even folks that free float the barrel usually do some experimenting with pressure pads under the barrel on the forearm (many use innertude scraps). Finding the sweet spot can be fun. Also, many 10/22's suffer from barrel droop when free floated. The 22" Walmart Specials have had problems when free floated. Many companies make adjustable "V" blocks to correct this.

LK

Psychlopath
December 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Ahh..thinking back, it DOES seem that perhaps the action is floating.

Unfortunatly, I can not go and take a look at it right now.

I appreciate the link but, unfortunatly, it is blocked for me.

kiwi56
December 17, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yep pretty much what the others have said. The standard 10-22 form of barrel attachment (V block) is not really rigid enough to support the weight of a free floated bull barrel. If you are determined to free float the barrel you may want to get an aftermarket receiver that either is threaded or uses collets to attach the barrel. Leaving a bump pad on the stock to support the barrel is an accepted practice with the 10-22 and good accuracy can be obtained with this support. Barrel droop is a known problem with free floating a 10-22.

essohbe
December 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
Is there a v-block that would attach to the inside of a quadrail float tube? The Ruger SR-22 has one but I don't know how it's attached to the tube.