PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 Compact Decocked or Manual Safety

TTUBOB87
December 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
I've narrowed it down to the CZ 75D Compact or the regular CZ 75 Compact. I know I wouldn't want to carry in the single action cocked and locked position but I also don't know if I trust the double action decocking lever action. Which do you recommend and why? I like the chamber indicator on the PCR, but I think I like the steel construction of the 75 Compact. Either way, I can't wait to have a great gun for the range. I've heard both are incredibly accurate and reliable.

Thanks

Maturin
December 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
I've been following your threads in the various forums b/c I'm pretty much in the same boat... I'm down between the PCR and the compact, although for slightly different reasons. I'm not concerned about the safety of the decocker -- I have one on my P6, and the first few times using it on a live round were a bit edgy (practicing double-action at the range), but after that I don't even think about it (but still keeping pointed in safe direction while decocking just in case).

For me, the debate is whether I want the all-steel gun for durability reasons and the manual safety for more options vs. the relative ease and safety of the decocker and lighter weight of the alloy. And that matte stainless full-size is still flirting with me, 'though I know it would be problematic for carry -- at that size and weight, I may as well carry my 1911.

That said, I'll be interested in the further responses to your plea as well as your final choice.

TTUBOB87
December 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
I want. Compact for if I eventually decide to carry regularly, but initially I want a great range gun and something I plan on carrying very rarely. I don't like the idea of not having a safety even if the first pull is double action (decocker) and I don't like single action cocked and locked with just a slide safety carry (compact). I think I like the 75 Compact cause it's steel, prob better for the Range, and closer to the original full size 75B. Also the regular compact is cheaper. I just wouldn't want to hav to manually push the hammer forward so I can have a double action first shot. This will be such an amazing gun, I can't wait.

Walt Sherrill
December 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
The decocker on the CZ decocker models ought not bother you.

The CZ has a firing pin block that won't allow the gun to fire unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.

The decocker works without affecting the trigger block, so that even if the decocker failed and dropped too far -- almost impossible -- it still wouldn't cause the gun to fire, because the firing pin can't go forward.

I prefer the Compact model, but its a good bit heavier. (There are a few Compacts floating around with alloy frames, and that's the best of both designs. I don't know know CZ doesn't make more of them.)

viking499
December 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have looked and debated the same thing to myself for a couple of months. Seeing as how I have a CZ 75 steel frame already, I have decided to go with the PCR for the weight and other features. When looking at the steel compacts, I did not really gain anything over what I already had.

TTUBOB87
December 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well that I'd very helpful info about the decocker, I didn't realize the pull ha to be quite that hard. I just worry that without an actual safety someThing could happen but there's no way you could accidentally fire a gun in your holster with that hard a trigger pull. I saw one for $589 new but I'm looking for a better deal on the pcr, best deal so ar on a 75 compact is $515 with 3 mags. Granted I'd have to pay taxes on top of that. I really like the bullet indicator too, but I've seen peole state they prefer the manual safety also. I would hate to have to manually decock it so maybe the pcr is best for me. They're both just as accurate and reliable right?

TTUBOB87
December 15, 2009, 04:32 PM
This is such a helpful forum.

Spad
December 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
Take a look at the CZ PO-1, I have one and it is nice, good trigger and I don't worry about the decock. It is a toss-up between the Sig P6& Sig Pro that I have. I carry the Sigs because I like the trigger better, especially in cold weather. The PO-1 is really a super pistol, and lite, NATO approved. Spad

Pilot
December 15, 2009, 07:07 PM
I carry a PCR and also use it at the range, but I also have the all steel 75B for the range. If you're going to carry it, get the PCR. You will appreciate the weight savings. You'll eventually get a 75B or 75 steel Compact, so no worries.

Webleymkv
December 15, 2009, 08:06 PM
Personally, I'd go for the Standard 75 Compact. The standard 75 can be carried DA, you just don't have a decocker to assist in lowering the hammer (it's still safe to do if both hands and the proper technique are used as it's similar to decocking a revolver). However, if you decide you want to try C&L, you've still got the option.

chris in va
December 15, 2009, 08:09 PM
As you don't want a safety, might as well get the PCR. The decocker on my 75BD works great, no issues.

TTUBOB87
December 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'll likely go with the PCR if I can find a good deal, it seems like the best option for both the range and conceal carry. The decock with double action first pull is way too hard to go off in a holster or else there would be a recall or something. I highly doubt i'll ever actually carry it on me though, I want a great range weapon and either compact model will be just as accurate as the other it seems. I'll see what I find the best deal on. I'll let you know which I end up going with cause at this point it could be either or.

Thanks

Dre
December 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
CZ sp-o1 custom = extrimely accurate gun, people always asking me at the range what I'm shooting...I know that it's not just the gun itself, but it is an outstanding gun.