PDA

View Full Version : Rifle for lead free ammo

weix11
December 11, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone, I want to buy a centerfire bolt action rifle that can shoot lead free ammunition accurately. I may have to hunt in California's condor range, which prohibits lead ammo. Does the type/manufacturer/model rifle matter when shooting lead free ammunition?

Doyle
December 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
Any of the major hunting calibers have lead-free bullets available now. The two most common suppliers are Barnes (the tripple shock bullet) and Hornady.

Christchild
December 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
I haven't read/heard anything that would suggest one manufacturer or the others' rifles "liking" or "disliking" Lead Free Bullets. I CAN tell You, however, that I use Barnes Bullets in my Browning A-Bolt .270 Winchester.

I've OFTEN read about quite a few Handloaders having problems getting the 130 grain Barnes Triple Shock X (TSX) or Tipped Triple Shock X (TTSX) (in .270 caliber) to shoot accurately. I use the 110 grain TTSX in my .270 with a powder charge on the lower end of published data using 110 grain bullets.

Say, for instance, You generally use 180 grain bullets in a .30 caliber cartridge. Try the 165 grain or 150 grain Barnes, instead of the 180's. Use a bullet a little lighter.

When my .270 had the factory 22" barrel, it shot the 110 gr. TTSX very accurately. I've rebarreled that rifle with a Douglas Air Gauge #4 Stainless 26". The exact same loads shoot very accurately in the new chamber/throat/bore. I load the 110 grain TTSX in .270 Winchester with 54.0 grains AA4350, and seated to 3.225". I did NOTHING in the way of "how far off the lands". I used the Cartridge Overall Length that's listed for the MRX bullets in the Barnes Manual #4, since that manual does NOT have data for the TTSX, and the MRX bullets have the same Ogive and Polymer Tip as the TTSX. Also, if You notice, the factory ammo that's loaded with Barnes TTSX, have the bullets seated to almost the exact same depth as I seat the TTSX to (the end/rim of the case neck is "over" the forward-most groove of the bullet shank), and I've read Rave Reviews about their accuracy...despite "how far off the lands".

One thing I would keep in mind, in looking for a rifle that You'll shoot Lead Free bullets in, is some of the Weatherby rifles have a long freebore. I'm not sure if the effect of that "extra" freebore would be positive or negative, but it may be something to think about, because there ARE Weatherby rifles chambered for NON-Weatherby cartridges. If You handload, this would be LESS of an issue.

Scorch
December 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
There is nothing special about the lead-free bullets that would require a specific fiream. They can be used in any firearm. People have reported very good accuracy with Barnes X Bullets, but some have had copper fouling issues (pure copper is softer than gilding metal). Hornady and Nosler make solid gilding metal bullets with polycarbonate tips, and the reports I have read indicate they are very accurate.

2damnold4this
December 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
Say, for instance, You generally use 180 grain bullets in a .30 caliber cartridge. Try the 165 grain or 150 grain Barnes, instead of the 180's. Use a bullet a little lighter.

Good idea. The Barnes bullets, having no lead, will be longer than the same weight bullet that has a lead core. If a rifle likes a certain length bullet because of rate of twist, it may like the same length bullet even if it weighs less.

December 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with Christchild. I like the lighter grain weight as well. Keep in mind that pure copper weighs less than lead core. I found that a 120 gr Barnes was actually longer than a 140 gr Sierra Gameking because of the weight difference. So, when using the heavier Barnes offerings you will be sending a very long profile down your barrel which will require a faster rate of twist. That may explain the accuracy issues some have encountered. I have found the Barnes bullets to be very accurate and great for hunting whitetail. I have not had bad copper fouling issues.

Christchild
December 11, 2009, 01:29 PM
There is nothing special about the lead-free bullets that would require a specific fiream. They can be used in any firearm.

At's a Roger!!! Thank You, Scorch. I got a bit SideTracked in my last post and forgot to add that. I mentioned something similar with the 1st 2 sentences, but... :rolleyes:

Fat White Boy
December 12, 2009, 12:42 AM
I used a Remington 700vls in .308 with Barnes solid copper 168gr bullets. My son and I took pigs just outside of King City, Ca. I also have Winchester Model 70 that I have 130 gr copper ammo for use when hunting that area...
Both are very accurate...

Pointer
December 12, 2009, 02:20 AM
Thompson Center's ICON rifle has R5 angle rifling... I believe this is what you are looking for... it will shoot virtually any bullet well. :rolleyes: