PDA

View Full Version : Should I get thie XDM? Similar suggestions?

etays69
December 10, 2009, 03:54 PM
So I fired the XDM in the 9mm today and I have to say, I am very happy with it...

Before I go out and spend just about 700 bucks, I'd like to know if theres anything else out there that is in the same ballpark that I should shoot before I go buy it. Im somewhat a newbie and I've really only fired a few guns. Here's what I like:

19+1 rounds
4.5" barrel
The gun is pretty much ambi (I am left handed)
Planning to get a shoulder holster for it (Good idea??)
Great accuracy...

Anything else I should look into?

Thanks

Uncle Malice
December 10, 2009, 04:15 PM
Being a lefty, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the HK's. I prefer the USP Compact or P2000 (both compact size guns). If you like the larger size of the XDM, check out the P30. It's an extremely ergonomic and ambidextrous functioning weapon. It's a little bit more expensive... but it's an HK.

To be fair, I did have the XDM in 9mm also. I loved it to death and yes, it is very accurate. I ended up selling it to one of my very good friends to finance another purchase. Luckily I still get to shoot it every now and again. He loves the XDM as well.

I have been converted to HK's though....

N.H. Yankee
December 10, 2009, 05:06 PM
I have 3 XD pistols,one being a XDm40cal. I absolutely love the XD's and the XDm. I find the Xdm to be one of the most accurate factory production 40's around. I have had zero failures with with my Xd's and have a XD sub-compact 9mm as my most common carry. I also feel the FNP series are excellent pistols, especially for the price. I also have one in 40 and plan on getting another.

golfnutrlv
December 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. 17+1 capacity, striker fired like the XDm, ambidextrous slide stop, and reversible magazine release.

You can get magazine extensions to increase your capacity as well. I cannot say enough about this pistol, ergonomically, its absolutely beautiful. Try it out and see how you like it.

Lots of accuracy, mine has been perfectly reliable. Magazines, and holsters are plentiful right now as well.

Here are a couple links:

M&P9: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=45932&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y

Mag Extension: http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/24/pid/25375/S_W_M_P_magazine_extension

DocDizz
December 10, 2009, 05:41 PM
All this comparison is like saying "I like the Zip-Loc containers better than Glad-Ware." :p

Seriously, though, $700 sounds high for an XD-M. Might just be they go for less where I am?

azredhawk44
December 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
Stay away from shoulder holsters, IMO.

A lot of ranges don't like shooters showing up with them since they require a cross-body draw that points the muzzle backwards, sideways and all sorts of odd directions.

They may be good for concealment in jacket environments but most ranges dislike them for muzzle control issues. You could be asked to leave, or to return to your car and unholster, then return carrying in an approved manner.

As far as the XDM:

Don't buy anything until you shoot a CZ platform. The SP-01 is CZ's latest contribution. 19 rounds like the XDM, but DA/SA action. Better (IMO) recoil pulse to it due to geometry of the frame and slide.

predecessor
December 10, 2009, 06:13 PM
Take a look at the CZ 75 SP01 series of pistols if you are looking for a 19 round mag 9MM

jakeg823
December 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
i've seen new xdm's in 9 & 40 going for about $525-560 at gun shows....$700 is the Gander Mountain price around here. I'd shop around if you are set on a xdm. I've seen prices as low as $600 in regular gun shops.