PDA

View Full Version : Should you..

sixxgunnernick
December 9, 2009, 06:40 PM
store your striker fired handgun with the trigger pulled? To relieve tension or stress on the mechanism..just wondering if I'm reading that right in my kahr p380 manual. Does this apply to Glocks as well? Sorry if this is a elementary Question..but I don't want my babies being stored under stress.:o

dgludwig
December 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
HK recommends doing so.

Darsh
December 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
Well I can see it being an issue for long term storage, but what if it is your nightstand or carry gun? Will it cause damage to the gun to keep it in a ready state? Surely manufacturers take these things into account in their designs?? :confused:

dgludwig
December 9, 2009, 07:47 PM
A nightstand or carry gun is sort of in a "long term storage" mode. A couple of years ago, I wrote HK and asked them if it was necessary to relieve the tension on the the striker mechanism or could the pistol be kept (semi) cocked while kept in a state of readiness. They responded, "The pistol should be cleared and the hammer dropped on an empty chamber prior to placing the pistol in long term storage." :confused:

bakon
December 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
Our duty Glocks have been ready to fire for near 20 years now. Even when shot, for whatever reason, they are reloaded and ready again.

How long is long term storage compared to that use? 40 years? more?

Darsh
December 9, 2009, 09:08 PM
Exactly what I would think bakon. The stuff in the manual must just be CYA material. :D