PDA

View Full Version : good ammo pouches

AZwarts
December 8, 2009, 10:27 PM
i am looking for a good comfortible pouch that will hold 100 rounds of 12 ga that will fit a 42 waist. Also, I don't want to spend to much

colostomyclown
December 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
I'd look at a MOLLE dump pouch.

AZwarts
December 8, 2009, 10:56 PM
i want something for hunting and sporting clays

colostomyclown
December 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
They make shotshell belts that would fit. Look on Midway. I wouldnt recommend it for hunting as the shells will rattle but for sporting clays a dump pouch would be ideal.

colostomyclown
December 8, 2009, 11:00 PM
he doesnt need a molle vest
they will hook on belt loops. and if it doesnt matter if its tactical, if it suits the purpose and does a good job, thats what matters.

colostomyclown
December 8, 2009, 11:01 PM
if speed is an issue, id advise against a shotshell molle pouch. you dont want to be fiddling with loops when you need to be stuffing shells in.

AZwarts
December 8, 2009, 11:04 PM
speed isn't as much a problem because I can control when i am ready to shoot. I was thinking about a vest that has several large pouches up front and a pouch to put birds in also

zippy13
December 9, 2009, 01:17 AM
A hundred-round pouch is pretty big. I assume you mean one that has two pockets, one for live rounds the other for hulls. I did fine for many years shooting Skeet with a standard 25 round bags. When I started shooting trap doubles (25-pairs) I got a jumbo 50 round bag. AZwarts, what event requires 100-rounds between reloading?

One of the shooters at our club, a notorious pinch-penny, uses carpenter's nail bags and belt (HomeDepot/Lowes). They might be big enough for 100 rounds.

mwar410
December 9, 2009, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't want to carry 100 rds on my belt, that is quite alot of weight. even at clays I use a cabelas 1/2 vest. a couple of large pockets up front, and a shell pouch in the rear.
I would have to think that the weight of 100 rds would effect your shooting hanging from a vest.

DETH_LIVES
December 9, 2009, 08:40 AM
Walmart has a nice one that's good and cheap...I have been using it for about 4 years clay shooting and it works good..It's a Bob Allen and costs about 15 bucks......

oneounceload
December 9, 2009, 09:07 AM
As someone who shoots sporting fairly regularly, I never have more than a box or two in my vest pockets (and that's only when I have two different shell types). The weight interferes with moving the gun quickly enough. I carry the rest in a range bag. Works great that way because I can also dump my empties into it every few stations

noyes
December 9, 2009, 09:50 AM
maybe this instead of a pouch

Video here for correct use :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/Q3E5wtmWCk4/default.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.youtube.com/user/quaest&usg=__09a8njDIiTzavbi5fzOyVTp7R94=&h=90&w=120&sz=4&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ErgTv2pSAUprHM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFast%2Bshotgun%2Bload%2Bby%2BVitaly%2BKruchin%2Bsubtitled%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1W1ADFA_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54672&stc=1&d=1260380965

BigJimP
December 9, 2009, 01:06 PM
Ammo pouches are going to be tough to find that will hold 100 rounds ( besides you need closer to about 110 ) to account for re-shooting broken pairs, some 2 shot singles, etc ...

I use the Rugged Gear push cart .....and I'm seeing a few of them around used now. They're around $ 190 new / but I know they have a sale on now too.
http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=112/home_id=76/mode=cat/cat112.htm

If that doesn't work / a back pack or a good range bag with a good shoulder strap will work ..... I wear a full vest ( Browning ) - but I wouldn't want 4 or 5 boxes of shells on my vest at every station...

The hand cart is by far the best option / carry some water/even a small cooler on those hot summer days, rain gear, etc - ( it'll hold at least 2 guns safely ) - and 15 boxes of shells / so maybe go in with a buddy on a cart.

JerseyDrez
December 9, 2009, 03:32 PM
Just get a waist shotshell pouch.

For me, a vest with 100+ shells is way too bulky.

I just toss a box of 25shells into my pouch and Im good to go for clays. I can fit 2 boxes but I prefer one.

But for hunting purposes, a vest might do you good as you can hold a ton of shells in it and also other accessories like your phone, knife, chokes, etc.

jaguarxk120
December 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hey I watched that video, neet setup, but I was wondering do all those shells in the magazine keep the muzzle down when firing? All that weight out there pulling it down.

BigJimP
December 9, 2009, 03:40 PM
Jersey -- you can't shoot a sporting clays course with 25 shells ....

a typical tournament course is 100 targets / and may wind thru the woods, etc for a mile or more from where you park. You need to carry 125 shells to shoot the course .....( and most of us carry a few more / my typical supply of shells is 5 boxes of 1 oz of 8's / 1 box of 7 1/2's / 1 box of 9's ) - and water, chokes, etc that I will need walking the course.

Its akin to walking a golf course ..... you need everything with you.

AZwarts
December 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am an avid golfer and i am used to walking PGA length courses with all my sticks on my back.

BigJimP
December 9, 2009, 06:43 PM
But there may come a day / when a hand cart is a better option ....even though when I golf, I play better when I walk .......I still don't want a full set of clubs, balls, etc on my back all day long .

And remember, you don't hit a shot - with the bag on your back.

Its hard to shoot with 125 or 150 shells in your vest / at least get a decent range bag to carry that stuff ......drop it on the ground while you shoot a station .

AZwarts
December 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
Zippy13,
Sporting clays events are usually 100 clay events

AZwarts
December 9, 2009, 08:02 PM
i see your point BigJimP,
that sounds likke a great idea for doing events so I geuss I could invest in a vest for when I go hunting

JerseyDrez
December 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
I see. Im not very familiar with tournament skeet. I just shoot for fun with friends.

In that case, I guess a vest would do you best.

zippy13
December 10, 2009, 01:53 AM
Zippy13,
Sporting clays events are usually 100 clay events
Yes, I know, I've shot hundreds of 100-target tournament events over the years. All of these events were divided into rounds of 25 (occasionally 50) shots. I always reload and dump off hulls between rounds. The same way I do in training rounds.
What I asked was, "AZwarts, what event requires 100-rounds between reloading?" With sporting clays, you're free to replenish your ammo more often than the other shooting sports. You just load from your kit (carry or cart) as you advance from station to station. You're not trying to carry all of your sporting clays gear and supplies on your person, are you? If yes, you could always put some bricks in your pockets and compound your over-loaded handicap. ;) You wanna be a lean, mean, shootin' machine.

olddrum1
December 10, 2009, 02:29 AM
Z13. I have been in several sporting clays state shoots that you could not go back to your vehicle or club house to replenish your shells. You usally ran ten stations with a combination of ten birds on each. Once you started the course you had to keep up with the squad.
The best way, if you do not have a cart, is with a vest, a small four box pouch and a hull bag. You put one box in your vest with the bag on your other hip to take the empties along with the other pocket. Just keep replacing the empty box with one out of four box pouch. Usally I carried two boxes of 7 1/2's and 8's, with a box of 9's.

CB

jaguarxk120
December 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sound like you guy's need a artillery caison to carry all your stuff.:eek:

AZwarts
December 10, 2009, 08:42 AM
ya but the good thing is that it gets lighter as you go:D

AZwarts
December 10, 2009, 08:45 AM
Zippy13,
Forgive me I didn't understand what you meant. Where I shoot, in events they don't let you go to your car when you need ammo or when you et a break. You have to keep it on you the whole duration of the round

btw; i am no way lean but i am a shootin' machine :D

BigJimP
December 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
Zippy is talking about "registered Skeet" tournaments / or registered Trap tournaments - where you shoot 25 targets on one field - then change fields and you can reload your vest, dump your empty hulls at your car or in a range bag.

A range bag will work fine for sporting clays / if you don't like the idea of a hand cart. But if its raining / or on really hot days .... dragging a gun and a range bag with 30 lbs of gear and shells in it, water, etc ....around a sporting clays course for 3 hours is a pain... / that's why Rugged Gear has sold so many carts / and some courses will rent them for about $ 10 a day if you don't want to buy your own. I suppose you could build one if $ 200 is too much to spend on a cart / but the Rugged Gear cart folds up nice for transport to and from the course / and can go in a 30gal plastic tub and store on a garage shelf ... Its a very good product.

zippy13
December 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
It comes down to: Do you want to wear or tote your gear and shells? Your range bag can be just another piece of gear, I use a standard old school Bob Allen cloth bag, or a fashion statement. The Saudi shooters at our club had elaborate custom tooled leather bags. There was a shooter* who poked fun at the guys with their custom bags. He used the most disreputable looking deteriorating canvas and rusty metal grip that ever came out of an antique shop. We were amazed that it was still capable of containing it cargo.*Sometimes sadness comes to the shooting community in unexpected ways.
This shooter perished in TWA's infamous flight 800. It was his first time on the air crew of New York to Paris flight. R.I.P., Capt. Ralph Kevorkian, you're still fondly remembered.