PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' to spend $800 on a scope

pichon
December 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
I purchased a Remington 700 .308 last spring and it has been sitting in the cabinet because I didn't buy a scope. I have now put aside ~$800 and would like to know what I should get. I may be doing some hunting in the future but I will mostly be shooting it out in the desert at paper.

I would like a mil-dot reticle and I think I want something with a large objective lens for lower light conditions.

I havent used rifle scopes much so I am not sure about whether or not I want fixed magnification or not.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone suggest the scopes with laser range finders such as the burris one located here (http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-laserscope-4-12x-42mm-laser-rangefinding-riflescopes.html)?

Abel
December 6, 2009, 11:08 PM
Carl Zeiss.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-35-10x44mm-conquest-rifle-scope-with-z-plex-reticle1.html

brmfan
December 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
Sightron Siii 6x24x50 LRMD w/ side focus. Did a lot of research before hand and got mine for under $800. Fantastic scope for the $$$!

kymasabe
December 6, 2009, 11:49 PM
Zeiss or Nikon.

sholling
December 7, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm reading great things about the Super Sniper 3-9x42 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx) but I haven't used one. My personal choice would probably be a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx). 42mm to keep the weight down. For more magnification there is the 4.5-30x50 (http://swfa.com/Bushnell-45-30x50-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13141.aspx). All three will get you out past 600-700yds, but the SS has more elevation if you need to reach out further.

NWCP
December 7, 2009, 01:19 AM
Zeiss. Great optics.

mapsjanhere
December 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
Zeiss 3-9x50 with their rapid Z 600 recticle

precision_shooter
December 7, 2009, 12:55 PM
If it was me spending that kind of money on a scope.....Leupold! Especially since you mentioned going hunting. Leupold's warranty can't be beat, and spending $800 on a scope, I would want a no hassle, no questions asked warranty.

Just think, if you are out hunting and drop the rifle or bang it against a rock or tree and you crack a lens or dent the tube or anything, Leupold will replace it or repair it with no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it happens 2 weeks after you get it, or 2 years down the road. It's a lifetime warranty. Beat the heck out of having to spend another $800 on a replacement scope...That's what seals the deal for me every time i'm shopping for a scope...

I'm not saying there aren't other great scopes out there, because there are. I'm also not saying that Leupold is the best scope money can buy, because it's not. But what you do get is more than adequate for what 99.9% of the people that buy them use them for.

JMHO, take it or leave it...

2rugers
December 7, 2009, 02:36 PM
Leuplold vxlll, 4.5x14x56.

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 7, 2009, 07:48 PM
Leupold or Zeiss....

wpcexpert
December 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
Zeiss is hard to beat with their glass. But I think you will get more options and extras if you go with Leupold. They have excellent glass at not quite as high of a price.

Ben
December 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
Seems odd to be committed to spending a certain amount of $ on a scope. 800 seems like a lot for paper and occasional hunting. Get the scope you NEED for the best price you can get. Don't walk in there looking for the best $800 scope. There might be something just as good for 200. Why spend it if you don't need to? Where did you come up with the 800 figure anyways?

Ben

qwman68
December 8, 2009, 12:38 AM
I agree with Ben, alot of good scopes out there.. noone has said Burris yet so i will.. Check out Burris.. i love em, they are good scopes..so are ziess and leupold. im just sayin...

pichon
December 8, 2009, 12:49 AM
With all due respect, it shouldn't seem odd. I have a budget. If I didn't set a budget people would suggest I buy $3000 scopes. Would you say the same thing about a car? If I asked what is the best car I can get for $30k would you suggest a Geo Metro because it gets me around as well as a $30k car?

I want the best scope for around $800 I can get. If there is a scope for $200 that is better than any $800 scope on the market let me know. I could save cash and get a great scope.

Thanks for the info. I looked for the Leupold no questions asked warranty and it seems unclear what scopes it applies to. Can anyone fill me in?

Zeiss looks nice... I set my standards high for glass. I am a photographer and Zeiss is renowned for their camera lenses.

About the laser rangefinder, I am not a great judge of distance but I am not terrible either. Should I be considering scopes with lasers in them, or should I just save for a dedicated rangefinder?

sholling
December 8, 2009, 01:28 AM
Zeiss makes great scopes but the picking are slim for those that meet both goals of $800 and a mil-dot reticle. As far as the range finder goes that's what a mil-dot reticle is for. ;) Ok well I'm a gadget lover and while a built in range finder is tempting understand that with many brands you give up lifetime warranty. I think it's a trade off between longevity and convenience and a matter of personal taste. I'd also poke around a bit on SWFA's forum Optics Talk (http://www.opticstalk.com/) for some tips.

azredhawk44
December 8, 2009, 01:47 AM
I think your statement is backwards.

Lookin' to spend $800 on a scope

Wrong mindset.

Look at what you want to do with your rifle and scope, then see what features are available that fit those objectives.

Do you want finger-click adjustable turrets, or are you okay with removing the caps and using a coin?

How much clarity do you want and are willing to pay for?

What is the maximum distance you will be shooting at?

What is the minimum distance you will be shooting at?

Given your max/min, what magnification do you need? Variable or Fixed?

Do you need a bipod or shooting sticks to hold your rifle still enough in the field for a long range high magnification shot? Will you even be making long range high magnification shots? Is your expected minimum target range too close for your minimum magnification?

Do you need a range-finding reticle?

Do you want an illuminated reticle?

Are you shooting so far off that you want 1/8 MOA adjustments rather than 1/4 MOA adjustments? Or do you want MIL adjustments?

My first scope was a $75 Swift 3-9x40. It was good enough for learning what to do with it, and what not to do with it.

My second scope was a $300 Leupold FX series fixed 4x33. It was and still is a fantastic scope and blows the pants off that Swift, despite the Swift having more supposed bells and whistles, a larger objective, and higher magnification.

My next scope will be a 4-12x40, probably a Leupold VXII or VXIII. I really like 4x as a "baseline" reference for quick shots, but I'd like to be able to zoom in closer for intermediate range paper punching out to about 600 yards. To go much farther than that, I'd need more elevation adjustment than a typical deer scope provides, as well as a 20MOA or 30MOA sight base. Which then ruins the utility of such a rifle at closer range hunting.

I think spending $800 as a scope novice, is a good way to waste about $400-$500 without appreciating what you get for it.

I'd suggest getting a Leupold VX-II or FX-II and saving the rest until you know for certain the features you want in a rifle scope.

Would you say the same thing about a car? If I asked what is the best car I can get for $30k would you suggest a Geo Metro because it gets me around as well as a $30k car?

$30K can buy a nice SUV, a work-truck, an import sports car or a sturdy American sedan. By no means do they do the same thing.

Once you get past the $300-$400 quality threshold, you have options available in scopes that are suited to different disciplines.

The reason we all say "hold on" is because we don't want to see you drag-racing a Land Rover, or off-roading in an RX-8.

Find out more about what you want to do with your rifle.

foggy
December 8, 2009, 01:51 AM
I saw two used Schmidt & Bender scopes in the sell in the $800 range a few months ago on gunbroker. One that I bid on sold for about $760, I think I should have upped my bid!

Both scopes had 50mm objectives and variable power in the 3-10 range (can't remember exactly). These scopes are supposed to be very top-shelf and could fit your needs if you could find a nice used one.

reloader28
December 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
It sounds to me like you're looking for a longer range scope. 3x9 dont sound near good enough. My varmint guns are 14 and 18 power.
I dont know if theres a Scheels down there, but if there is check out their scopes. They're cheaper and the top brands make them and it does'nt matter what happens to it, they give you a new one. I suspect Cabelas is the same. I have one and will get 2 more when I can.
I have a hard time spending that much on a scope, so I look a little cheaper myself. I could get a pretty nice scope for $400 myself.
$800 is a lot, so I would look around a little bit if it was me.
Is it really worth spending that much?
I shoot a fair amount of long range and it seems to me, anything other than competition or prairie dogs, you can get by a little cheaper.
If thats your game, I think you'll need more than $800.
Just my personal opinion. :)

precision_shooter
December 8, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I looked for the Leupold no questions asked warranty and it seems unclear what scopes it applies to. Can anyone fill me in?

It applies to every scope that Leupold makes/sells. Doesn't matter if you buy it second hand or brand new. The warranty never goes away...