PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a 9mm or a .45acp for my next pistol.

pacerdude
December 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
First I currently own a Smith and Wesson M&P 40, and a Ruger Mark III 22/45.
I am naturally a worrier, and am concerned with the trouble in getting ammo. I have a hard enough time getting ammo for my 40.

Please keep in mind my main concern is a second defensive pistol with better ammo availability than a 40. I am not too concerned with stopping power because I have full confidence in the self defense purposes of a 9mm, 40, and 45. I would like to diversify my calibers, and choose a pistol that will be a second, ultra reliable home defense/ccw gun.

In that regard the two models I am looking at are a Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF. Any advice on both the above calibers or pistols would be appreciated.

RWNielsen
December 4, 2009, 11:44 PM
I would go with a 45
Easier to reload too if you should go that route

pacerdude
December 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks buddy! I have considered looking in to that, but right now i am a junior at UGA, and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.

dinsmore83
December 4, 2009, 11:52 PM
I own a 9mm and a .45, the 9mm is a full size, the .45 is a compact, I find the .45 compact to be as easy to shoot as the 9mm. if you was higher capacity, get a 9mm, but the recoil is snappier, the .45 has lower capacity, but, for me atleast, the puch of the recoil makes it easier to get back on target from a shorter barrel. 9mm subcompacts are smaller and easier to conceal that 45 compact and subcompact, but with the shorter barrel and snappy recol, accuracy diminishes. my suggestion, try both calibers in a variety of platforms, to see what you like, either can suit your purposes, if you put enough time into looking

NSO_w/_SIG
December 5, 2009, 12:02 AM
I don't own any .40 handguns, I do however own a few of each of both .45 and 9mm. I personally have no use for .40. Based on what you posted I'd say that the 9mm is the better choice of the two for you to add. The Glock 19 is a 9mm handgun that IMO everyone should own atleast one of. So yes the G19 is a fine gun.

comn-cents
December 5, 2009, 12:04 AM
one of each
9mm
45acp
38spl
357mag
357sig
32acp
380acp, etc etc etc

jdc1244
December 5, 2009, 12:05 AM
Please keep in mind my main concern is a second defensive pistol with better ammo availability than a 40.

Interesting, I’m not having a problem finding .40 S&W – it’s the other ammo you note I’m having trouble with.

I wouldn’t let current conditions dictate gun choice, ideally a gun is for the rest of your life. That said I’d go with 9mm, it’s a classic. You’ll also have a much varied platform choice.

When it's time for a .45, get a 1911.

Brian48
December 5, 2009, 01:01 AM
I would go with a .45ACP before all others ;)

KyJim
December 5, 2009, 01:02 AM
If so called "stopping power" is not a factor between the 9 mm and the .45 acp, I would go with the 9mm. Shortages of a particular caliber may vary from locality to locality but it seemed to me the .45 was a little harder to find than 9 mm. In addition the 9 mm is not as expensive as the .45 and you get higher capacity.

chris in va
December 5, 2009, 01:08 AM
am naturally a worrier, and am concerned with the trouble in getting ammo

Start reloading, your worries will be considerably less once you see a large box of ammo just waiting to be shot. Even moreso if you start casting.

and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.

My reloading equipment fits in a box. Everything.

I did this in three hours.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2095/imgp4866.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/imgp4866.jpg/)

pacerdude
December 5, 2009, 02:22 AM
To Comm-Cents, I hope to one day have a collection like that.
And to everyone else, thanks for the advice. Keep it coming, if you dont mind.

LoneStarWings
December 5, 2009, 03:06 AM
If ammo availabiliy is the main issue, I would definitely go with a 9mm. The military still uses it so it should be available somewhere as long as that's the case. .45 is the rarest and most expensive ammo around here. 9mm is less common than .40 s&w, but .40 is about halfway between 9 and .45 in price.

sixxgunnernick
December 5, 2009, 06:36 AM
Get the nine based on price..ammo price..ammo capacity.Then get the forty five!! Nine..Forty and Forty five..oh yeah

pilpens
December 5, 2009, 07:13 AM
Nine - cheaper to ammo.

RT
December 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
Get the G19. It's the the one Glock everyone should own.
In all seriousness, I have the G19 abd G21 SF--they are both fantastic pistols.

RPB
December 5, 2009, 08:32 AM
What I did:

Glock 27 (.40) with 9mm conversion barrel [$98.00] (so it's like a Glock 26 but a thicker barrel than a 26, which adds a little weight = a little less recoil)

Then, I can find either 9mm or .40 to feed it.

So, you looked into conversion barrels? And keep the pistol you already are familiar with and trust.

#18indycolts
December 5, 2009, 08:46 AM
ultra reliable home defense/ccw gun.

In that regard the two models I am looking at are a Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF.

The 19 is a decent size for carry but the 21 is HUGE, if you want a .45 for home and to carry look at the 30,36 and the GAP models 38,39. I own the 39 which is the smallest .45 they make and I love it.

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 08:49 AM
WOW! I just bought a .40 because it's the only ammo that HASN"T gone up in price or been reduced in availability in the last year. My WM has 250rd MegaPacks of Rem UMC for $70. ALL around here you can get .40 ANYWHERE. I used to carry 9mm, till it became harder to find and more expensive than .40, I haven't looked back. I'd say go 45acp if you're dying for another caliber. my 2cents

theozz
December 5, 2009, 09:29 AM
Go with the .45acp. Best personal defense round in my opinion.

pacerdude
December 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
Yes, I have considered conversion barrels, I have considered buying a .357sig conversion barrel for my M&P.

But honestly, I would prefer having a second pistol. That way if worse comes to worse, and something happens to one then I still have another pistol, and in a different caliber. Thank you though!

And well, lets be fair, who wouldn't want a second pistol?:D

RPB
December 5, 2009, 11:23 AM
or third, 4th, 5th, .....
ha ha yep
I sold over 30 of my pistols last year .... downsizing. Only keeping a few and I have a mental shooping list and trying to get mostly Stainless this go-round since I'm on the water a lot, carefully choosing new ones I buy..... or trying to anyway.

Still, I miss a few of those I sold ... I stupidly sold most of my most concealable ones to a freind who sells at gun shows and was begging me for guns,, might buy the same models again if I run across them, but also would like to try out some new technology/new kids on the block/new models etc.

DBAR
December 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
Years ago when I was getting a motorcycle, I was told to go ahead and get the 1,000 cc. Everyone told me that if I got a 600 or 750 that I'd want a 1000 after a few weeks. I took their advice, and got a 1000, that I eventually built into an 1170.

Get either, you'll end up with both eventually. I'd get the .45acp first. Bigger, and slower is sometimes better.
DBAR

lee n. field
December 5, 2009, 11:38 AM
and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.

Not so. Google on "Lee Hand Press (http://www.google.com/search?q=lee+hand+press&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)". Slow but useful, and a complete kit can fit in a shoebox.

9mm or a .45acp...I have full confidence in the self defense purposes of a 9mm, 40, and 45....Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF

9v45, talk about your Frequently Asked Questions. Pick one, I don't think it matters a whole lot.

As long as they fit your hand. I've had a .45 for a few years. I picked up a Glock 19 a few months ago. Reliable, accurate, no problems at all except that the finger grooves on the G3 19 don't really fit my hand.

.45 has such a big case, it's very forgiving to reload. If you handload, the cost difference between 9 & 45 don't matter quite as much.

Kyo
December 5, 2009, 11:47 AM
I prefer the 45 so I got one as my first gun. Why do I prefer it? Well, for me personally(YMMV!!!) the 45 has less kick than the 40, and only a little more than a 9mm. As far as reloading them, the 45 is pretty easy to reload, has low pressure, and you will be able to tell very easily if you double charge. I take a second to look in the case, and a double charge will be VERY obvious.
I am also thinking to pick up a 9 eventually but I think I will wait until 2010 to see what the new stuff is going to be. I figure since I have a P345, I can pick up an SR9.
For defensive purposes I am confident that 9+1 mag of 8 in the 45 should do me enough for a dire situation, unless its one of those 27 ninjas with full auto's situation.

rickyjames
December 5, 2009, 11:58 AM
getting ammo for anything these days can be tough. i think the ammo situation these days is changing the reasons people buy certain guns. for example revolvers are gaining in popularity. i think part of the reason is certain revolvers shoot multiple types of ammo. there are 22/22mag combos, 357's can also shoot 38's and 44 mags can also shoot 44 specials. something to think about anyway.

as for semi's, the old rule was to buy a military caliber and you would always be able to find ammo. that rule went out the window with the recent ammo shortage. often these calibers were the hardest to find while you might still see some oddball ammo on the shelf. that being said i have started to see more ammo available, particuarly 9mm.

if i were in the market for a new semi auto handgun i would first decide what caliber and then look for a gun to match the caliber. availability and cost of ammo would also help dictate the choice. personally i would look for a 9mm with the ammo situation today. you can get them anywhere from full sized high capacity down to small ccw type guns and all the major players and probably a bunch you never heard of make them.

nhsmoker
December 5, 2009, 12:02 PM
If it were me I would get the 9 first. I would go that route because ammo is cheaper which = more practice and you already said you are comfortable with the stopping power (I think a 9mm is fine as well). I really like the fact that you have 15 rounds per mag also. I also really like the 45 and that will be my next gun but already own and carry a couple of 9mm. Also just for the record even though I plan to purchase a 45 soon I still intend to carry my g19 as I am very comfortable with my shooting of it and like I said I like the capacity. In the end though get what you yourself prefer.

comn-cents
December 5, 2009, 01:39 PM
I haven't had a hard time in the last 6 months finding ammo. My local dealer has had everything except 380, it comes and goes in waves.

HisSoldier
December 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it. You can come up with a setup that fits in a suitcase, needing only a kitchen table to clamp onto. We don't know what kind of idiot the people around us will vote into office next, reloading is not optional. :)

45reloader
December 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
Come on now let's do a reality check.
1. do you have tons of extra money flying out your butt.
2. do you like women and beer.
3.Would you be happy paying 2x's the price for ammo in this market.
I'm a 45 lover who also owns just a few- 9mm,40cal,and 45acp carry pistols.I love the 45acp,but in summer, even I will carry the greatest gun Glock ever built the Glock 19.

45reloader
December 5, 2009, 03:35 PM
Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it.

Because who would start reloading when even I can't find CCI primers to reload right now.I would not buy a press and everything else till bullets,power,and primers come down in price and are more available.

goose13
December 5, 2009, 03:47 PM
I would get either one, well if I had a .40 I would stick with that as everytime I go in wal-mart or Meijers they have plenty of .40, and when I say plenty I mean cases worth. But then they have not even one box of the 2 calibers I own, 9mm, and 45 acp.

Personally I love both my M&P 9c, and my Kimber 1911, so I could go with either.

Shane Tuttle
December 5, 2009, 03:57 PM
Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it. You can come up with a setup that fits in a suitcase, needing only a kitchen table to clamp onto.

As you and others have posted regarding reloading, the OP already stated it's not an option at this time. Let's respect his decision and focus on his other parameters.

Personally, I would buy the Glock 19. 9mm has almost always been the cheapest of the Big Three and usually is the cartridge that provides the most rounds per magazine. I honestly don't think there's that many advantages of one over the other besides size. Both are revered as being reliable, easy to maintain, easy to access aftermarket parts, etc. I'm assuming you're already familiar with shooting Glocks so I figured discussion with that is moot.

pacerdude
December 5, 2009, 05:26 PM
Tuttle, I am familiar with Glocks, my best friend owns one, and i enjoy it alot. I like the look of my M&P better, but hey, you can't argue with the Glock aftermarket supplies, and I still have trouble finding holsters built for the M&P.

I appreciate the advice about reloading, but I would imagine that it would cost me as much as a new pistol to gather all the equipment and supplies for reloading.

I would feel more comfortable, with only needing cleaning supplies, ammo and a good holster. But perhaps one day, I will go into the reloading adventure.

Thanks for all the help, and keep that advice coming in. As far as concealment, would the G21 be that much harder to conceal than a G19, or my M&P?

#18indycolts
December 5, 2009, 05:52 PM
As far as concealment, would the G21 be that much harder to conceal than a G19, or my M&P?

not sure about the m&p but between the 19 and 21..heck yes. The 21 (i think) is a huge gun, you're talking about a full size double stack .45acp vs a compact double stack 9mm. Just my .02.

Chalupa
December 5, 2009, 07:25 PM
Here's some different advice. Since you already have a .40
which is between the 9mm and .45 why not get a wheel gun
caliber instead? Like a .357

That will give you two options .38 or .357

loveskeet
December 5, 2009, 09:22 PM
I looked at 40 cals and the 9mms. I bought the 9mm just because the amo was cheaper and I like to shoot what I buy. You might not believe it but I carry a lady smith 38 stainless. I purchased it about 15 yrs ago and love it.

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 09:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a Ladysmith. They're great guns. I want one.

drrpg01
December 5, 2009, 10:26 PM
I find 40 S&W easier to get ahold of than 9 or 45 based on the sources I usually get ammo from.

pacerdude
December 5, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have nothing against revolvers, I just would rather have another semi auto for now!

zombieslayer
December 6, 2009, 04:33 AM
Drrpg01- Precisely why I just bought a .40, there are STACKS of it everywhere ammo is sold. I'm loving it, let people bash the .40 all they want- At least theres practice ammo thats cheap and plentiful!

spodwo
December 6, 2009, 04:54 AM
Funny - 9mm is the ammo harder to find around here lately in the bargain bin...and .380 of course. But regardless - it still can be found less expensive.

WWB ammo:

9mm - 21.95 100 rounds - 22 cents a round
.45 - 32.95 100 rounds - 33 cents a round

But - it would be best to find someone who has a .45 and shoot at least a couple of boxes. You may not like the cartridge. Even more concerning is you may not like the cartridge in the particular model of pistol you are looking at...

Every so often I look at a .45 and frankly, I just think - why do I need ANOTHER type of ammo to look for and buy, especially an ammo that is minimally about 30-35% more expensive than 9mm?

pacerdude
December 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
Honestly, it's been a while since I saw Glock 21SF and I wasnt aware that they were that much bigger than a Glock 19 or a Glock 23...I know that was a stupid mistake. But thanks for helping guys.

If instead of the Glock 19, I went with the 21 would the SF be a better choice than the regular G21?

drrpg01
December 6, 2009, 10:26 PM
I hear you zombie. From what I've seen ballistically, there's nothing to bash. And, with ammo everywhere, it's got me taking a hard look at a Glock 23 or a Springfield XDM 40 for my next purchase.

Shipman515
December 6, 2009, 10:29 PM
Pacerdude,

Good to see another at UGA. I'm in my senior year here.

I have both a 9mm and a 2 .45s. I definitely prefer the .45s over the 9 (even though both are 1911s).

pacerdude
December 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks Shipman its good to see you here as well, I'm a junior at UGA. Have you been to the Firing Lane yet, I met a guy in my philosophy class that worked there.

Shipman515
December 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
Yup, been there a few times. Can't really afford to go regularly as shooting isn't a cheap hobby for anyone, particularly a college student.

I've got 2 .45s, 1 9mm, 1 .380, a .38 (my carry revolver) and a .40.

Whats your major?

pacerdude
December 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
English. Yeah I haven't been there either...I cant afford it. My best friend and I sometimes drive out to Charlie Elliot Wildlife center in I think Jasper county because they have a free range.

Shipman515
December 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah? I wasn't aware of the free range. I'll have to look into it sometime.

How far is the ride?

pacerdude
December 6, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure from here in Athens. I usually go back to Conyers and meet my best friend (he is a fireman there) and meet him there, and then we drive there. I think its just inside of Jasper county though.

Shipman515
December 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks man, I'll look into it.

goose13
December 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
Please keep in mind my main concern is a second defensive pistol with better ammo availability than a 40.

Browse the shelfs at many different stores and ranges in your area and see what seems to have a better ammo availability in your area. Around me .40 actually has a better availability than 9mm and 45acp. But then 9mm has a better availability than 45 acp, trust me it's a pain in my area to find decent priced ammo for my 1911.

Now I saw the guns you are between are the Glock 19, and Glock 21sf, I've fired the 19 and the 21 but not the SF model, I liked the 19 how it felt and how I shot it, my 2 favorite glocks are the 19 and the 23. Personally though for 9mm I love my M&P 9c, it's been super reliable and an all around great pistol.

pacerdude
December 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks goose13. I got lucky last night at Bass pro and picked up another box (50 rounds) of ammo for my M&P. But there is still a freakin ammo shortage throughout metro atlanta, and even out in athens where uga is.

I am leaning a little more towards the Glock 19 RTF version.