PDA

View Full Version : "slim" 9mm options

boykinhntr
December 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm really wanting to buy a smaller 9mm for carry. I almost bought an LCP but I'm just not crazy about the .380. I handled a Taurus PT709 and it's everything I want! However, there seems to be a lot of Internet reports of problems. I have a PT145 that is simply fantastic so I have a favorable opinion of Taurus but I'm wanting to see what else is out there.

I will not carry a heavier gun so I am either getting an LCP or a smaller 9. What's out there?

David the Gnome
December 4, 2009, 09:27 PM
Walther PPS

http://www.allensgunshop.com/images/PPS.jpg

Kahr PM9

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Kahr-PM9/DSC02412.jpg

Keltec PF9

http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/PF9.jpg

I would not suggest the Keltec but both the PPS and PM9 are excellent firearms.

stephen426
December 4, 2009, 09:28 PM
I recently got a Kahr PM9. It is very slim and very light. It is very compact and has a great trigger.

haha... David just beat me to it.

hoytinak
December 4, 2009, 09:37 PM
Para Carry 9 and Springfield EMP also....however I do like the Walther PPS myself.

Graham88
December 4, 2009, 10:05 PM
Love the LCP..............But I also think the PPS is the Perfect gun for me!

the 709 slim aint bad.... I have one, but if got the cash ,,,get the PPS.

http://www.fototime.com/DDEF48FAB69B3C3/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/883CC32E209A883/standard.jpg

orionengnr
December 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
+1 for the Kahr PM9

Nykop
December 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
Pm9 K9 PPS are good pics

EdInk
December 4, 2009, 11:26 PM
Anything from the Kahr P or CW series is good. The lcp is nice too.

lanceman193
December 5, 2009, 01:09 AM
Let's not forget the stainless steel Kahr MK9.Same size as PM9,only heavier.

chris in va
December 5, 2009, 01:18 AM
I think some of these 'slim' guns are getting out of hand. Fondled a few at the last gun show, the KelTec PF9 felt like a credit card. Ditto the PPS.

I find my Kahr K9 to be more than thin enough while still being very shootable at the range. Pretty much disappears with the Clipdraw.

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 01:24 AM
walther pps

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 01:26 AM
I carry an LCP every day and its tough, accurate enough, and VERY handy. Easy to have 24/7

Hook686
December 5, 2009, 01:54 AM
I like the single stack S&W pistols 908S and 3913TSW

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/103890_thumb.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/104531_thumb.jpg

kristop64089
December 5, 2009, 09:37 AM
I looked at the Taurus Slim yesterday, but as I suspected, their QC, is still Kaput!
The Frame stuck out in front of the slide, about 1/16" on one, but not the other. It's too bad, as It seems like a well thought out design.

I would go with a PPS, or the Kahr.

I have optede to carry an LCP, stoked with Hornady critical Defense. It muzzle velocity is 1000fps, and 910@50yds. I don't know the energy data right off, but the LCP, is about the ideal carry gun IMO.

boykinhntr
December 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
I agree. The 709 is the design I want but I think I may need to pass on it. The LCP is a gun I know I would carry. I just don't thunk I would carry too many guns. I'll keep the pt145 in my car. I just don't feel the need to carry often.

stephen426
December 5, 2009, 10:00 AM
Let's not forget the stainless steel Kahr MK9.Same size as PM9,only heavier.

Actually, let's forget about the MK9. I bought the MK9 before buying my PM9 since there were quite a few negative posts concening Kahr's polymer pistols. While the MK9 is the same size as the PM9, the weight difference is significant. Furthermore, the quality of the stainless steel they use on the frame is inferior. I have developed pit rusting on my MK9 from pocket carry, despite oiling the gun. The extra weight tames the recoil nicely considering the small size of the gun, but it gets tiresome pocket carrying it. I have had no issues with the PM9 and wish I saved the money I spent on the MK9.

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 10:14 AM
LCP's are becoming part of peoples' apparel, like cell phones. They, and the P3AT, are VERY easy to carry, and with modern ammo, pretty potent.

spodwo
December 5, 2009, 10:31 AM
I have the Slim 709. It is very nice and shoots extremely well. I will add the statement that I did in fact have to send it in to have the slide stop adjusted plus they replaced the extractor. It cost me 3 weeks of not having it but they paid for shipping both ways. Fedex came right to my door to pick it up and it came back in exactly 3 weeks.

Regardless - I have looked at the Keltec. Slim is better feeling and certainly the design makes it handle better, in my opinion. Shooting a sub C 9mm can be a little rough if the ergos aren't right.

The Kahr PM9 is 2-3 times the price point depending on the model. Felt ok but still, - a pps is a better choice and it's still less expensive than the Kahr.

I don't consider the CW Kahr to be a Sub C model, myself...

PPS great but again - twice the price....

PSP
December 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
I don't consider the CW Kahr to be a Sub C model, myself...

But you do consider the PPS a subcompact? The Kahr is pretty much the same size...shorter in length, but with a longer barrel, lighter and has an extra round in the standard magazine. If you think the PPS qualifies then the Kahr certainly should too, don't you think? It comes at a very moderate price too.

(BH)
December 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
Just get a PPS and you won't look back.

Coltman 77
December 5, 2009, 02:20 PM
I've had a 9mm PPS for about a year now. It's been outstanding.

Accurate and reliable.

Nykop
December 5, 2009, 02:29 PM
Have to agree on the PPS you would never know you were shooting a compact gun. Accurate and has a quality feel. I just could not get past the magazine design when I would take out the spare mag in my pocket it would always get hung up in my pocket it's not the smoothest designed magazine. Otherwise it's a awesome gun.

45reloader
December 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
How can any of you scoff at the quality of Taurus then recommend a Kahr. :confused:

spodwo
December 5, 2009, 03:53 PM
But you do consider the PPS a subcompact? The Kahr is pretty much the same size...shorter in length, but with a longer barrel, lighter and has an extra round in the standard magazine. If you think the PPS qualifies then the Kahr certainly should too, don't you think? It comes at a very moderate price too.

Yer right - I was thinking of theT9...but even at the price point of a CW - I would STILL go with a PPS...

muddinman_04
December 5, 2009, 04:07 PM
+1 for the PPS. I have the .40 cal. It is a great gun and is very accurate.

Although I do have to say, if you don't carry often due to comfortableness, I would suggest the LCP or P3AT. I carry the P3AT every day in my back pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

pogo2
December 5, 2009, 05:46 PM
I use a steel Kahr MK9, which weighs 24 ounces empty but is as slim as the polymer PM9 or Walther PPS. Unless you're going to pocket carry, the MK9 is easier to shoot because of its weight, and in belt carry you won't really notice the weight. I use a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock IWB tuckable holster for it, and it doesn't show at all.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KahrMK950.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KahrMK953.jpg

#18indycolts
December 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
sorry I gotta throw this out...but a glock 26 is really close to size here. Nearly identical height and width and about an inch longer..plus you get 10 rounds of 9mm...:cool: also its lighter.

sdj
December 5, 2009, 06:08 PM
+1 on the Comp Tac 2 o'clock holtser: I have one for each of my carry rigs; my favorite IWB holster by far.

dondavis3
December 5, 2009, 06:24 PM
I own and have carried the Walther PPK/S - 2 Sig's P230 and P232 and a Glock 26 - all are fine guns and I would vouch for each of them.

All are in 9mm short or 9mm.

But since I bought my Ruger LCP 9mm short (.380) I carry it almost all the tine - it is almost perfect for me to carry.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/RugerLCP380wDesantisNemesisHolster.jpg?t=1260053065

I carry it in my front pocket in a DeSantis holster and I rarely go out w/o it.

:)

lanceman193
December 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
Actually, let's forget about the MK9. I bought the MK9 before buying my PM9 since there were quite a few negative posts concening Kahr's polymer pistols. While the MK9 is the same size as the PM9, the weight difference is significant. Furthermore, the quality of the stainless steel they use on the frame is inferior. I have developed pit rusting on my MK9 from pocket carry, despite oiling the gun. The extra weight tames the recoil nicely considering the small size of the gun, but it gets tiresome pocket carrying it. I have had no issues with the PM9 and wish I saved the money I spent on the MK9.

Let's not forget about the MK9. My MK9 Elite 03 has no hint of rust and mine is carried in my front pocket in a kydex pocket holster.Sorry you got a lemon but I certainly am happy with mine.Several surgeries have left me unable to handle recoil and my pistol has practically none,and it has worked every time so far.

boykinhntr
December 5, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the info. Here is what I have decided. I am getting both... I just bought the Taurus TCP and will be looking at the Kahr, Walther PPS, and a few others on Monday.

The more I get into guns the more I realize that I will be sorry if I try to make a particular gun do too many things. I WANT a 9mm and I WANT a mouse gun. I wont be happy with one I need both:D

No gun does it all IMO.

zombieslayer
December 5, 2009, 09:19 PM
If you can afford one, a Rohrbaugh R9 is 9mm mousegun.:D

Playboypenguin
December 5, 2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, you can't beat the Rohrbaugh as far as a small 9mm...but the kahr PM9 is a close second. After that I would recommend the Kahr CW9 or Walther PPS.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Semi-autos/Rohrbaugh-1.jpg

alienbogey
December 6, 2009, 02:22 PM
FWIW, I did a lot of research for a slim, compact 9mm, had it narrowed down to the PPS or the Kahr, went to the dealer for a final comparison, and went home with an HK P7, which is now my EDC.

Bri0242
December 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
What about a HK P2000SK? I have a HK P7 & P7M8 (they're heavy), but they're wonderful guns. I usually carry a Ruger LCP or a Sig P238; you can't beat they concealability. Good luck

bikerbill
December 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
Been carrying a Kahr PM9 since shortly after they came out ... lightweight, excellent for pocket or belt carry, DO NOT print with even minimal cover and are very accurate at SD distances. Only drawback is the price, which is higher than Taurus or Kel-Tec. But take a look at one, see how well it's made, shoot it ... you'll be hooked ...

PeterGunn
December 6, 2009, 03:27 PM
How can any of you scoff at the quality of Taurus then recommend a Kahr.

Simply put... because Kahr products are superior in every way to what Taurus puts out. That said, Taurus makes a descent enough products in most cases, but I would never put them in the same catagory of SIG, S&W, Glock, HK, etc.

HKFan9
December 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
I agree completely with what Peter just said. Kahr got a bad name from the start but if you spend enough time around here you'll realize people who actually OWN them love them. My PM-9 has been flawless. As far as a tiny 9mm goes the only thing that beats it is the R9, but they come at a hefty price. My PM-9 fed all the ammo I gave it fine, and handled 124g +P golddots well. I fought with myself between the PM-9 and the Walther PPS. I decided to go with the Kahr. Oh and just to clear up, to my the Kahr is significantly slimmer then a Glock (I own both). Kahr's measure closer to a Glock when you include the slide release in that measurement. When your tucking it in your waist of your pocket, with a holster the width adds up quickly.

On a side note. As great as my PM-9 has been, I decided to list it to be sold. It is listed in the Handgun sale forum on this site if your interested. Including a Hogue rubber grip and a Galco IWB holster with it, and taking offers.

No pressure of course :D

varoadking
December 6, 2009, 04:22 PM
How can any of you scoff at the quality of Taurus then recommend a Kahr.

Don't own a Kahr?

lrsimpson58
December 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
Here is the stats on my choices. I've head that the height is the most critical aspect of concealed carry. I would like to hear from you on your choice and why. see attached spreadsheet for deminsions

Glock 26 Glock 19 Sig 250 C Sig 239
Width 1.18 1.18 1.1 1.2
Length 6.29 6.85 6.7 6.6
Height 4.17 5 4.7 5.1
Barrel 3.46 4.02 3.6 3.6
Sight Radius 5.67 6.02 5.5 5.2
Rounds 10 15 12 8

Kahr PM9 Kahr k9 Kahr MK9 XD Sub Comp. HK USP Subcompact Walther PPS9
0.9 0.9 0.9 1.14 1.04
6.5 6 5.3 6.25 6.81 6.3
4.95 4.5 4 4.75 5 4.4
4 3.5 3 3.01 3.58 3.2
5.35 5.4
8 7+1 6+1 13 13 8

Eagleks
December 6, 2009, 09:42 PM
Since $$$ wasn't mentioned, a Springfield EMP - 9mm.

Otherwise, the Kahr, Walther, Taurus TCP or 709.

Big Bill
December 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nutnfancy#p/search/5/IpTaV3A2jIE

Let me end this debate. Go with a winner! Ruger SR9

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr9ODGreen/images/3307.jpg

All Models:

Caliber: 9mm Luger
Slide Finish: Blackened
Slide Material: Through-Hardened Stainless Steel
Length: 7.55"
Height: 5.52"
Width: 1.27"
Grooves: 6
Barrel Length: 4.14"
Twist: 1:10" RH

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr9ODGreen/models.html

Iceman12
December 8, 2009, 04:20 PM
I vote something a lil different. STI LS9, Ijust picked one up, I love it, super thin.

Width .765” across steel, 1.06” across grips

I didn't see if anyone else mentioned it, it seems to be an often overlooked gun. It suits my tastes and needs anyhow, and shoots great. Enjoy whatever you choose :D

firespec35
December 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
Just went on this search recently myself for the wife. She didnt like any of the ppk styles (bersa, sig 232, etc...) We played with the PPS, Taurus 709, the kahr poly 9, and a pk380. We discarded the pk380 right off the bat when she saw the price for 380 vs 9mm. The pps felt realllllllly top heavy. Even for me I felt like it was a brick on a stick. She just didnt like the ergos of the kahr. She did like the 709 though. She shoots my S&W 669 ok but its a little heavier than these so shes gonna go back soon and shoot the kahr (no 709 in the rental bin) and if she likes it were gonna get the taurus.

dances with guns
December 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
i would avoid the pps, and i'll tell you why:

walther put a safety on that thing whereby if you remove the backstrap, the gun will not fire. considering the backstrap is snap on, and can easily come off during firing, this can end up being real bad news for you.

i was thinking of getting one of these until i heard about this safety, and read some online reviews where the back strap snapped off during firing and disabled the gun.

even if those online reviews i read weren't true, the fact that this can potentially happen is enough for me to avoid the pps.

:)

WVfishguy
December 8, 2009, 05:40 PM
walther put a safety on that thing whereby if you remove the backstrap, the gun will not fire. considering the backstrap is snap on, and can easily come off during firing, this can end up being real bad news for you.

I guess anything's possible, but the backstrap CANNOT come off easily. You first have to remove the magazine - the backstrap can't be removed with the mag inserted - and make a conscious effort to remove the backstrap.

Well, maybe if you use a screwdriver, you could get the backstrap off with a mag inserted. Whatever :p

Whoever wrote that "online review" has not fired a PPS.

kinoons
December 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'll throw another hat into the ring for the walther pps. I own one in .40 and absolutely love it. Never had a single problem with it, disappears In a good holster, and fears over the backstrap are hogwash. 9mm or .40 you can't go wrong with this pistol

dreamweaver
December 8, 2009, 07:40 PM
I carried a pm9 for a year, great concealed carry gun and less $$ than the R9.
started carrying an emp9 (i prefer 1911's for SD), but when the sig p238 came out I put the others back in the safe. the new hornady loads, critical defense, have great ballistics. Still kinda hard to find, but that won't last forever. (remember when .380 fmj was less than $40/100?)
the sig has some sharp corners, so I'm planning to radius it and refinish it in matte black cera-coat. great little gun!

predecessor
December 8, 2009, 07:49 PM
Glock 26...Nearly identical height and width

Was this a joke? :confused: I hope so because while the Glock is perfect and all that, we just can't change the laws of physics. Calling a Glock "SLIM" just doesn't make it so. Reminds me of the Emperors New Clothes :p

stephen426
December 10, 2009, 02:24 PM
Let's not forget about the MK9. My MK9 Elite 03 has no hint of rust and mine is carried in my front pocket in a kydex pocket holster.Sorry you got a lemon but I certainly am happy with mine.Several surgeries have left me unable to handle recoil and my pistol has practically none,and it has worked every time so far.

I think they must have used better stainless steel for the elite. While the MK9 is nice to shoot, I just don't see the point of the the extra weight since I can handle the recoil. With your hand surgeries, it makes sense for you.

sorry I gotta throw this out...but a glock 26 is really close to size here. Nearly identical height and width and about an inch longer..plus you get 10 rounds of 9mm... also its lighter.

The Glock 26 is close in size, but there is a noticable difference when it comes down to carrying them. The Glock 26 does not really work as a pcoket pistol unless you are wearing some really baggy pants or BDUs. The thickness is what makes the most difference. The 10 round mag capacity is nice though!

Hayley
December 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
My EDC is an R9s. I was just looking at the Wilson Combat ADP 10+1 9mm on the Bud's website. An interesting pistol: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_676/products_id/39501

PSP
December 11, 2009, 11:43 PM
My EDC is an R9s. I was just looking at the Wilson Combat ADP 10+1 9mm on the Bud's website. An interesting pistol: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/39501

I suggest you do a search on this site concerning the ADP. I don't own one but those that have owned one have written some interesting things.

Hayley
December 12, 2009, 07:53 AM
no doubt

YZR
December 12, 2009, 08:08 AM
I recently picked up an MK-40 and it has become my favorite carry gun. It's not too heavy and with a Galco holster you can forget it's even there!
It's not as slim as my P3AT but it is a .40 cal not a 380.