PDA

View Full Version : front sights on model 870

AZwarts
December 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
is it possible to change sights without changing your barrel?

Pahoo
December 3, 2009, 08:10 PM
Sure, but you are going to have to do some homework to determine whether or not, you can on your particular 870 model. Most smiths shuld be able to help you. Not sure what you have in mind ?? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

AZwarts
December 3, 2009, 08:28 PM
well i want to put a ribbed sight on it with a "bb" instead of a notch

Pahoo
December 3, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry but for now, you have lost me on this one. Guess I really do not understand just what you have there !! .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

troy_mclure
December 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
so you want a full legenth rib on the barrel with a bead on the front?

AZwarts
December 3, 2009, 10:36 PM
yes troy that is exactly what i would like to do. I just dont want to buy a new barrel system if I could just replace the sights

rantingredneck
December 3, 2009, 10:42 PM
So, to clarify, you have a plain (non-ribbed) barrel now and you want to add a vent rib to it with a bead front?

If so, I suppose you could pay a gunsmith to do just about anything including soldering a VR on a barrel that doesn't have one, but you'd pay dearly for it.

You'd be better off buying a new barrel and selling the one you currently have to recoup some of the cost. You could also probably find a used barrel that would meet your needs for less $.

AZwarts
December 3, 2009, 11:03 PM
thank you all

Hank15
December 3, 2009, 11:41 PM
Consider fiber optic sights such as:

-hiviz

-truglo

They have sights available for both plain and ribbed barrels.

But...if you're considering buying a new barrel with a rib on it, disregard the above.

Pahoo
December 4, 2009, 01:44 PM
Okay,

I'm taking one more shot at this. I am to understand that you have a plain barrel with some kind of "Goofy" front sight, in the shape of a V or U.
You want to replace this front sight with a nice round bead and not have to replace the entire barrel to do so. RIGHT?

Now, this is really taking a shot in the dark but what I suspect you are seeing, is what is left of a broken fiber optics sight. The plastic bead that was there, has broken off and only left the metal holder. If so, you wil be able to replace this with a number of choices as Hank15 has listed or you can just go with a standard white or metal bead.

You will not insult me if you post that I'm full of Nitrogenous Waste. ... ;)
Good luck and give us some feedback.

Be Safe !!!

AZwarts
December 4, 2009, 05:18 PM
thank you pahoo, I recently saw what looked like a red dot sight that attaches at the rear of the receiver and am going to give that a try.