PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory EMP,,, anyone have insight?

aarondhgraham
December 2, 2009, 04:26 PM
I recently saw a 9mm Springfield Armory EMP,,,
Unfortunately when I saw it the owner was just emptying his last mag,,,
I didn't have any 9mm ammo so I didn't get a chance to shoot the little pistol.

Has anyone out there shot one?

I loved the look and feel of the thing,,,
The price is scary but I can always sell my chil,,, eerrr,,, motorcycle.

Aarond

jmf_stl
December 2, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have friends that have this pistol and I have shot them several times. I think it is a great gun and am looking to purchase one in the near future. :)

Playboypenguin
December 2, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have shot the 9mm and the .40S&W. Both seemed to handle very well. They were a little snappy and had a kind of an upward recoil. I did not get to put many rounds through either though. I could not really tell much difference between the two calibers to be honest. I ended up buying the .40S&W model but that does not matter since I turned around and listed it for sale immediately after getting it without ever even firing it. :o

aarondhgraham
December 2, 2009, 04:55 PM
I dunno why,,,

But I do seem to have an instant liking for small things,,,
Compact cars, Miniature anythings, tiny ladies.

That's the reason the EMP caught my eye,,,
That 1911 frame just exudes function,,,
and it's simply a pretty gun.

I have a NAA .22 revolver that I only shot the day I bought it,,,
But it was so cute and tiny I had to own one.

To compensate I also have a 6" model 629,,,
I want a T-Rex killer type of revolver someday,,,
I know it will just be a cabinet queen but what the heck,,,
It's why I went to college and got a good job so I could afford my toys.

Aarond

dances with guns
December 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
never fired one either. seem to be made very well. they're pricey because they're totally made in IL, rather than starting out in brazil.

i'm thinking of selling a couple polymers to fund one...

aarondhgraham
December 2, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've done the same thing so don't think I'm ragging on you,,,
Some of the best "retail therapy" has happened to me in a gun store.

But I am curious as to why you bought it and immediately put it up for sale.

Aarond

bakon
December 2, 2009, 05:11 PM
I am also interested in the EPM, being a lefty. But would never sell my motorcycle, except to get a better one.

RickB
December 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
Without making any judgments as to whether or not my experience was typical, I watched a guy trying to shoot his 9mm version, and he couldn't get through a mag without the gun locking up, about 1/4" short of being in battery. He cleared it by carefully rapping the edge of the slide, between the front sight and muzzle, against the edge of a table on the range. The rounds looked OK, and the problem was not resolved at the range.

Ichiban
December 2, 2009, 07:38 PM
I really love my 9mm EMP. I carry it when I have the need to carry something smaller than a standard 1911. The only downside is that price tag.

dreamweaver
December 2, 2009, 07:48 PM
I've had the EMP9 for over a year. Got rid of my Kahr PM9 and carry the EMP now. all the benefits of a 1911 in a size that's comfortable for me to carry. it will FTF if you limp wrist it, but otherwise 100% reliable so far.
just my 2c

Shane Tuttle
December 2, 2009, 11:15 PM
Superb fit and finish. Firing it is a dream. Sights are great. Comfortable to shoot. Comes with 3 quality magazines made specifically for the EMP by Mec-Gar. From what I understand, they're made here in Geneseo, Illinios (gotta go by there and ask for the facts). Customer service is second to none. Packed with features such as high hand beavertail safety, notched grip safety, lower/flared ejection port, night sights, slide/frame hand fitted, etc.

I can't say enough good things about this 1911 style firearm. People can gripe all they want with the price, but it's worth every penny. The R&D going behind the EMP along with the time to make it to standards that would rival others in its price range, etc. doesn't come cheap.

Eagleks
December 2, 2009, 11:17 PM
Great gun, extremely accurate with it, good quality, good support from Springfield service if you should need it. They are fun to shoot and I like the size, and recoil seems 'less' than my other guns. I definitely like the night sights on it.

Mine had FTE and fail to feed issues at first, Springfield wanted it back immediately.... and I had it back in my hand exactly 1 week from the day I sent it ... all polished and reworked, and it has worked flawlessly since.

Getting a holster is a bit of a challenge.

To me, it's worth the price.