PDA

View Full Version : T-shot, T-buck, choke/bbl damage????

bamaranger
November 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
OK, been following some of the coyote threads and have vowed to give it a whirl again after deer season.

I bought some time ago some hevi shot, "dead coy" T-shot for this very purpose. But........I am concerned about damaging the bbl and chokes on my pet 870, which is near and dear to me as a turkey gun.

Currently the rig has a 20" Rem Choke, rifle sighted bbl, to which I attach a Rem "super full" lead only choke. OK, that's not a hevi shot set-up, understood. (Its grim death on birds w/ lead #5's though!)

I have a Briley flush mount full, and a Rem IC as well. Other choke tubes are out there easily enough located or swapped for.

So....can I use the 20"bbl w/ hevi shot w/o causing bbl damage, and what tube should I use or look for for a coy rig.

I do not want to risk damaging the bbl, its ideal as a turkey rig.

Also have a 26" Rem full choke bbl, and a Rem 26" IC bbl, but would rather not hunt them, prefer the stubby 20", but its an option.

zippy13
November 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
You're getting into a pretty specialized load with Hevi's Dead Coyote T-shot, and your caution is understandable. You're probably best getting you answers straight form the horse's mouth. Here's a link (http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=11)to the Dead Coyote tech page where you can submit your question/s directly to Hevi's staff.

bamaranger
November 30, 2009, 01:51 AM
I will check. Keep the comments comin' boys.

bamaranger
December 6, 2009, 02:55 AM
I heard from the Hevi-shot people and they said , in a very brief note, that the bbl was safe from damage, but that any full choke tube or turkey tube was out.
Well, duh.......the tubes say lead only, I KNOW that,

They recommended a Carlson's Dead Coy tube specially made for T-shot.
NOw, I really hope to do this w/o having to buy to much gear, so here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to find a std, rem modified flush mount tube and pattern the sucker. Also a IC tube as well. Probably do the IC tube first, as I have one (somewhere)

If I get killing patterns at shotgun range, say 50yds and under, I'm going hunting.

Back when I used to duck hunt a little, buddy of mine got great, tight patterns w/ early steel shot w/ an Ic choke. Stuff was so hard and round, they didn't need much choke (we figured). Since Hevi-T is same way, I bet it does fine.

bamaranger
December 9, 2009, 05:55 AM
I get those double label choke constrictions mixed up, always.

And.....I don't shoot steel, don't own a shotgun that has had a load of steel down it. (now you know how long I've been out of waterfowl hunting)

nutty ned
December 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
You can use mod or more open choke.

bamaranger
December 11, 2009, 01:18 AM
I heard from Hevi-shot people again. Again they reassured me that my bbl was safe but that the issue was the tube. They advised that Rem factory tubes are NOT hardened steel, and that there can be issues in using large tung type shot in such chokes: w/ deformed tubes and hard removal. So......I'm retracting my last postion and will spend my pennies on a T-shot tube.

Last thing I want is to stick a tube and booger the threads/bbl trying to remove it.

Coyotes are thick in areas here, I can hardly wait to try the varmints.

zippy13
December 11, 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Please, don't forget to give us a report on your 'yote results.