PDA

View Full Version : The Sig 238, opinions now

TinyDee
November 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
Now that this Sig has been our for awhile, I would like to read the opinions, trips, traps and tips for the 238. Looking forward to this....

golfnutrlv
November 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well, can't answer your question directly, but I am planning on getting one before next spring. I have had a chance to handle, and examine one.

They are great looking little guns, true to the 1911/Colt Mustang design IMO.

Don't know if you are into Youtube, but I watched nutnfancy's review of the 238, its worth a look just for an opinion as far as i'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/0/5PgrjCy58d0

Have fun!!

flashover251
November 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've had one for a little over three months now, and love it. I took it back home and compared it to my dad's colt mustang and shot for shot the two were identical in performance. I have had no malfunctions or misfires with factory and reloads and have put about 500 rds through it so far.

My only complaint about the p238 is not about the gun. I took it and my wife to the range not long after the purchase and now I'm looking for another one because she now carries it with her. At least I know she has a good gun to protect herself.

RichC
November 26, 2009, 01:37 PM
I live in Massachusetts, the state of forbidden guns. Rumor has it that Sig is working to get on the MA approved list and I am hopeful.

I'm curious... size wise... is it suitable for pocket carry? Would it compare more with a Kahr PM9 or a Ruger LCP in size?

I'm a big fan of Sig products, and have a Sig 239 on my hip most of the time. During warmer weather I do carry a S&W 442 in my pocket, but I'd rather the Sig if it works well under those conditions.

Thanks!

RichC

flashover251
November 26, 2009, 01:50 PM
As I said I rarely get to carry mine but when I do, I carry it in a Don Hume front pocket holster that was actually design for the colt mustang. I've had no issue with pocket carry.

I like it so much that I am on a waiting list with the local dealer to get another one, this time with night sights.

EdInk
November 26, 2009, 04:41 PM
I used to be in live with friends old colt mustang until I picket carried it for a day. A bit heavy IMO. Great gun though. My understand is that the new little sig is very similar (not as good looking though) in performance. If it works half as good as the old mustang I'd say you'd have a nice little auto.

That said for pocket carry I don't think anything will best my LCP for comfort and ease of use.

KyJim
November 26, 2009, 06:19 PM
I've got a 238 right after they came out. I have not put as many rounds through it as I would like due to ammo shortage/costs. So far, I really like it but I like single action pistols. When I first shot it, I hit the mag release button a couple of times with my thumb because I hold my thumb parallel with the barrel. A slight modification and it's been fine.

jreXD9
November 26, 2009, 10:29 PM
I've got one with night sights and Rosewood grips. I made the mistake of not cleaning mine before the first range visit and had numerous FTFs and FTEs and a couple FTFire's. It got a good bath after that. Ever since then I've had no problems with it. Since then I've probably run another 200-250 down the pipe and this little gun is a shooter! Its recoil, thankfully, is NOTHING like the LCP and the KTec P3AT. This thing is fun to shoot and very accurate. Out to 25 ft I have no problems keeping them in a 5 in. circle.

Aristides
November 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
I recently got my P238, and have put about 100 rounds through it. Not a single misfire or malfunction of any kind, shooting Winchester 95 grain FMJ Flat Nose. Very light recoil, felt like I was shooting my 22 pistol. I'm wondering if maybe the Winchester might be on the soft end of the scale, recoil-wise, because I was shocked at how light the recoil was. Have shot and owned the LCP, which was much more noticeable recoil and I often felt like the LCP was going to jump out of my hands. The LCP is a lighter pistol and is easier for pocket carry, but that doesn't mean the P238 doesn't carry in the pocket well...it does just fine. I pocket carry all day long, including "Dockers-style" dress pants and relaxed fit jeans. It's a little heavy and prints a bit too much when I'm wearing thin "business suit" slacks.

My P238 is the solid black Nitron with the contrast sights, which are very nice and easy to see. I will probably eventually want to get it fitted with some sort of after-market night sights, but except in true darkness, the contrast sights are fine. The LCP sights were so small as to be virtually useless, which is fine with some folks as they consider the LCP a close-in-point-and-shoot pistol. But I still like the idea of being able to aim my carry pistol, and in that arena the P238 is excellent.

I have purchased custom Sambar Stag grips for my P238, which are slightly thicker than the factory grips. The grip now fits my hand with a little more fullness, and they add some extra sizzle to a gun that is already very nice looking straight from the factory. See the attached pics. Sorry for the lousy quality, all I have is my cell phone camera for electronic pictures.

If you just must have the absolute lightest and smallest possible pocket gun, then get the LCP. But if you want a more solid, "real-gun" feel with lighter recoil, better sights and reasonable comfort for pocket-carry, then get the Sig P238.

DasFriek
November 27, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm curious... size wise... is it suitable for pocket carry? Would it compare more with a Kahr PM9 or a Ruger LCP in size?
Its smaller than the Kahr and a tad larger and heavier than the LCP.
I carry mine in my rear pocket with a Nemisis holster and it doesn't even come close to filling the pocket up.That doesn't mean id ever put anything in there with it tho.

I think mine has 150-200 rounds threw it,thats a high round count imo considering ammo availability and cost.

I HIGHLY recommend this gun.The recoil is much more subdued over the P3AT and LCP and it make the gun fun to shoot,ask a guy who owns the other 2 how much fun shooting theirs are?

Also this gun is built like a mini tank and as safe as a series 80 1911 without the grip safety.I could see this gun lasting 50 years while the other 2 wouldn't get close with the same abusive treatment this gun can handle.

hhb
November 27, 2009, 05:48 AM
Bought one of the first ones on the market, got caught up in the recall. The P238 was back on my doorstep 7 days after it left home and brought a free mag with it. Like it so well, I bought another one. One with N/S, one without. Ordered extra mags from the Sig store.

Bri0242
November 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
I've had mine for about 2 months, and I love it. It's now my new carry gun. The basic grips (plastic) are terrible.

Sledzep01
December 26, 2009, 11:19 AM
I love mine. I am near 1000 rounds right now.
Buy it you will not be disappointed.

Sled

http://sledzep.smugmug.com/photos/743671971_Gybgp-M.jpg

http://sledzep.smugmug.com/photos/743672002_HX3Nt-M.jpg

http://sledzep.smugmug.com/photos/743671788_xP8EL-M.jpg

Craig M. Arnold
December 28, 2009, 11:33 PM
I liked my first one so much, I bought a second one.

I carry a 1911 as my EDC, so the little SIG fits in nicely.

Best regards,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/cmarnold7/SIGP2387012.jpg