PDA

View Full Version : Butler Creek Flip Open Scope Covers...Need Wall Thickness Measurement

bambam1723
November 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Can someone who owns these help me out and take a measurement for me.

I need to know how thick the wall part of the scope covers are (The part that goes over the scope. I only need this thickness from the eye piece.

The reason why is that I just ordered a pair of the scope covers for my .223. I'm ordering some scope rings and I need to decide how high to get the rings to make sure the bolt will clear without rubbing.

Thanks Gents

Christchild
November 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
On my rifle, Browning A-Bolt .270 Win., I use the Butler Creek See-Through Flip-Open Scope Caps/Covers. Looking at them right now, the Covers on the Objective add about 1/8" to 3/16" of "thickness", meaning Twice that much on OverAll Diameter. So You would need about 1/8" to 3/16" of clearance in addition to Your scope.

The Eye Piece, is about 1/8" of thickness. As long as You receive the correct size, You will very likely be pleased with the Caps. I have nothing but good to say about them.

While the Rubber "wall" that slides onto the Bell isn't quite that thick, they do bulge a little at the end of the bell.

bambam1723
November 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
My situation right now is that my bolt just clears my scope (I'm talking so close that molecules touch). My current rings are Leupold STD Medium (.77" height). I need to go bigger and decide between the STD High (.90" height) or the STD Super High (1.0" Height). I would rather go with the STD High as I think the Super High would look funny. The High is giving me another .13" so the bolt will clear fine, but with the scope covers its iffy.

What do you guys think. If I get the High will it clear???

bambam1723
November 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
Alright guys I went ahead and ordered the super high rings just to be certain I had clearance. The last thing I wanna do is block my bolt or have it rub. Thanks