PDA

View Full Version : Keep it or trade it? (Norinco SKS)

Bigfatts
November 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
So a couple years ago I bought a Norinco SKS. My brothers were in a dither about them at the time. My older brother bought a 1950-something Russian, my oldest bro bought a new Yugo, so when I got the chance at a Norinco carbine for just over $100 I took it. It has been sitting in the back of my safe ever since. I haven't even fired it. It wasn't new but it was very lightly used, almost all the bluing is good, just a couple marks on the stock, intact spike bayonet. I have considered putting it to use before but the ridiculously short LOP has always kept it at the back of the safe. Lately I have wanted a good semi auto rifle and have considered putting one of the Tapco T6 stocks on it to make it shootable. Anybody have any experience with those? And also, if I put the T6 on it, would I have to make it 922r compliant because it has a pistol grip? Is it worth it or should I trade it towards something better?

fyimo
November 21, 2009, 09:16 PM
I just traded a Norinco SKS with sporter thumb hole stock that took AK magazines along with 6 AK mags and 500 rounds of ammo for a Browning A Bolt in 223 with Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40mm scope. I gave the guy $50 and my stuff for this.

I guess I'm saying trade it for something you want an move on.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/fyimo/BrowningA52232.jpg

qwman68
November 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
i dont know about 922r complient,but they sure look good in those tapco T6stocks. If it was mine i would keep it unless i just had to get rid of it..

Bigfatts
November 21, 2009, 09:19 PM
Well, I don't have to get rid of it, but I've been wanting a CETME and that would fund a goodly chunk of it.

ndking1126
November 22, 2009, 05:03 PM
I traded my SKS in for another rifle. Well, don't have enough $$ for what I want yet, but once I get enough saved all the money will be for another rifle.

SKSs are pulling a premium right now. I owned it for only about 2 years and actually made money off of it. Mine was a Romanian.

I've got nothing against Tapco, they make great products. But the SKS just wasn't meant for that type of furniture.. at least in my opinion.

My advice is sell it while prices are still high and then get something else. Not to mention there is someone out there who would absolutely love having a lightly used Norinco. Don't keep them from their happiness :)

Bigfatts
November 22, 2009, 05:43 PM
You know, I think you are right. I would be much happier and better served with a CETME and I'm sure someone would be very happy with my Norc. Thanx for twisting my arm...

ndking1126
November 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
I try not to twist too hard, but I do like getting my point across... haha. Good luck!

alaskaman94
November 22, 2009, 08:53 PM
i love my sks's... great guns.. i have the tapco on one and a folder one one. personaly i think they are great plinkers and wouldnt trade them for even an AK..

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/nagolbob/camp09bearhunt09andlongguns115.jpg

Crosshair
November 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
If it is 100% original I wouldn't modify it at all. Everyone was chopping up those Chinese SKS guns when they were cheap. Now SKS collecting is starting to pick up, with many people wanting to try and get one from every nation. The Chinese ones are getting kinda hard to find in original condition.

At the last show I was trying to sell mine, which is in excellent condition with all matching numbers, at my table for $300 as a FTF sale. Another two in original condition I saw at dealers tables were selling for $325 and $350 respectively. The first was in worse shape than mine and the latter was in better shape than mine. Both of those sold that day, yet for someone reason mine did not, though I had plenty of people looking at it. (For some reason lots of people here don't like FTF sales.) Oh well, there's always next year. It aint loosing value in my safe.

Bigfatts
November 22, 2009, 11:07 PM
If I were to change anything on it it would not be any permanent modification and all original parts would be retained. Think I've decided to move on though. Bigger better things are calling my name.