PDA

View Full Version : trying to id my great great grandpa's old shotgun

grey ranger
November 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
looking to identify the model of my ancestor's shotgun. I can barely make out Remington Arms on the side but nothing more. It is in very bad shape. My Great great grandfather was an old texas pioneer rancher and indian fighter and this gun was handed down to my great uncle and then to me. One of the barrels has a bulge in it that I suppose was from a misfire of some kind the barrel was ruined. It is a double barrel with hammer style fireing mechanism. I am going to post pics. I would appreciate any help. I know very little about antique arms and so I am starting from scratch. thanks grey ranger

Jim Watson
November 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
I am going to post pics.

That is what it will take, Remington made ten different models of double barrelled shotgun from 1874 through 1910.

OK, I see them. A plaid shirt is not the best background but the almost completely closed curve of the remaining hammer and Remington Arms on the sideplate say it is a Model 1889, made from that year until 1909.

grey ranger
November 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jim. that gives me something to go on. I'm sorry about the pics , they aren't the best but I just made them quickly using my computer camera. both hammers are still there , in fact all the parts are there but they are in terrible shape. rusted frozen , the stock is broken and very loose. I am very curious about how this gun got into this shape. especially the bulge in the barrel. I wished they had taken better care of it but I suspect that the damage to this gun was done in one event and rendered it unusable and was only kept for sentimental value. It has been just laying around in closets and storage for years I guess.

Jim Watson
November 17, 2009, 11:21 AM
There are untold numbers of rusty, battered guns out there. They were used until they would no longer shoot and then stuck in a corner or given to children to play with. Not at all unusual.

The bulged barrel was probably caused by a wad stuck in the bore from a bad shell or a cleaning patch left in the barrel. Again not uncommon.

Mike Irwin
November 17, 2009, 11:30 AM
My guess?

After your grandpa bulged the barrel, he stuck it out in the barn and left it there for decades.

jal5
November 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
Even in its present condition, it is a remembrance of your relative that is priceless. i would clean it up so its not as rusty and hang it in the den.

Joe

grey ranger
November 17, 2009, 02:38 PM
that is in fact my plan to mount it on the wall of my living room for a remembrance. I have had this gun in my possession for a while but have not gotten around to displaying it. I wanted to know more about it and it's history before I did. I do appreciate all of your comments. They have been very helpful to me in narrowing down the model. I believe if I can find the serial number it might help answer the exact year model of the gun. anyone know where that should be stamped? thanks

LHB1
November 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
Your shotgun may not have a serial number. Many older guns didn't until the law was passed around 1964 (?) requiring all new guns to have serial numbers.

sserdlihc
November 17, 2009, 07:32 PM
How cool. I would love to have had one of my grandfathers shotguns.

bamafan4life
November 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
I hope you plan on keeping it, and passing it down to your grandson. im sorry that im unable to help you identify it but id get the finest steel wool i could find and some good gun oil and clean it, dont use a real abrasive steal wool just use oooo and clean it realy slowly then id clean the wood with murphys pure vegetable oil soap and seal it with polyurthane and preserve it for the next generation, id personally not remove any scratches or damage to the wood cause each one is history.

James K
November 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
Depending on the decor of your house, you might consider making a shadow box, velvet lined, and display the gun along with any information you have on the original owner, and his times. That was once a good quality gun, but is, alas, too far gone to even think of trying to restore it.

(Just to be on the safe side, if the gun will open, check for shells. If it won't open, use a steel cleaning rod and measure to be sure the gun is not loaded.)

Jim

grey ranger
November 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
thank you all for your help and good advice. I was wondering about how to clean it properly for display. thanks Bamafan4life for your input on that. I have been very fortunate to have a number of things handed down from my great grandparents. My great grandmother came to live with us when I was a small boy and lived with us until I left home. My last memory of her was of her sitting and holding my two baby daughters on her knees. She helped raise me and filled my boyhood days with rich stories of pioneer days here in texas and the life she lived on the ranch in sabinal canyon as well as on the kennedy ranch in mexico. Those kind of things you can't buy or sell, they are a treasure that just lingers in your soul , something I hope to pass on to my own little grandson one day.