PDA

View Full Version : Bombs... Question...

hogdogs
November 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
First off I am not considering doing anything illegal...
I am just curious about something. I am always interested in technology be it scientific or redneck engineering.
Is there any type of ATF stamp or license that allows a person to legally create assorted explosive devices for the purpose of innocently experimenting with various ingredients and techniques in a safe manner and location? If there ain't I reckon I will just miss out on this exciting realm... Can farmers still blast stumps without hiring a blasting contractor?
Brent

orangello
November 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
Along the same lines, I've been wondering if i could legally buy some Sodium for the purpose of safely & carefully tossing it in a large container of water (no fish). I haven't done that, er seen some other kid do that since middle school. It was quite entertaining.

I heard, second-hand, that getting dynamite for beaver dam removal has gotten a bit more complicated than it was.

Mike Irwin
November 10, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hogdogs....

I'd suggest that you first master the fine art of posting BEFORE you attempt the even finer art of making your own boomies... :D:p

To the specifics of your question, I don't know.

But, I know that tannerite and tannerite analogs (essentially pelletized ammonium nitrate coated with things like powdered aluminum that make them go boom under the influence of a high-powered rifle bullet) are legal.

I think things start to get a lot sketchier past that.

My advice?

If you have to ask, you ask an expert, as in BATFE. A written response from them will go a LONG ways towards keeping you out of jail.

Mike Irwin
November 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
As for metallic sodium, it is NOT cheap.

I'm seeing prices ranging from the high $100s for a pound of the stuff.

johnwilliamson062
November 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
Isn't metallic sodium technically a VERY rapid burn and not an explosion?

DRice.72
November 10, 2009, 03:47 PM
It might be illegal to blow up stumps???:o

Mike Irwin
November 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
"Isn't metallic sodium technically a VERY rapid burn and not an explosion?"

The sodium-water reaction creates considerable amounts of heat and liberates a LOT of hydrogen.

It's the hydrogen that explodes.

You can, if you have a large enough piece of sodium, get multiple explosions.

DRice.72
November 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
That was one of the few things I remember from chemistry class. The other was the magnesium was NOT to be used as a filament on a light bulb.

jmorris
November 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
Pyrotechnics Guild is a good place to start http://www.pgi.org/

DRice.72
November 10, 2009, 04:07 PM
must resist clicking that link, must resist clicking that link!!! LOL!

Skans
November 10, 2009, 04:30 PM
You will need a federal and most likely a state license to manufacture explosives. BATFE is the federal licensing agency. Your state probably has seperate licensing requirements.

jammin1237
November 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
i would do the tannerite thing, it is a legal(so far) binary explosive.. that means it comes in two parts each pretty much harmless in their own forms... once the two parts are properly mixed it becomes an "impact explosive"... that means you must shoot it it with a higher powered rifle round to set it off, you cant just light it with a fuse... drill a hole hole in the stump the same size as the mixture bottle and shove it in... stand back about 150 yards and shoot it...

there are no warranties, liabilities, or sustainable truths expressed or implied that are attached to this post...

i want video!:D

hogdogs
November 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
I don't have any "work" to do... I asked the stump question as that would head me in the right direction as to how to go about approval for the purpose of just experimenting...
Brent

Beretta686
November 10, 2009, 07:05 PM
IIRC after speaking to some folks who do pyro at airshows, actually making or having explosives isn't regulated. So you can make homemade explosives all day long to your heart's content.

The regulation comes in when you store or transport explosives. To store it you have to have a "magazine" and to transport it there are all sorts of HAZMAT regulations.

For Tanerite, the two components separate legally aren't anything but once combined become explosives.

oneounceload
November 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
Brent - start reading this:

http://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/2007edition/index.htm

hogdogs
November 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
OOL, Thanks! That is what I needed... Looks like I will not mess with it even though a license exists... I ain't about to relinquish any portion of my 4th amendment rights...:mad:
Brent