PDA

View Full Version : So how does the 7MM STW Factor in to the Magnum Debate?

cds8018
November 5, 2009, 11:50 PM
OK gang we have had a very good discussion on the 300's but how does the STW measure up in the real world? Does any on have any experience with it over the 300 Win Mag?

javven
November 5, 2009, 11:55 PM
Another way to have 7mm Weatherby Mag performance - maybe plus a little. You get to have the price, too... or you get to load your own.

Look at ballistic tables for your fav 7mm projectiles and compare STW to RM numbers.

jgcoastie
November 6, 2009, 12:15 AM
Doesn't do anything in the "real world" that the 7mm Rem Mag won't in the hands of a competent shooter.

Yeah, it has more uumph when you compare the two on paper, but in a real world hunting scenario, I don't think you gain anything over the traditional 7mm Rem Mag... At least not enough to justify the cost.

thekyrifleman
November 6, 2009, 12:21 PM
Depends on whqt you want it to do....Before Rem commercialized it, it was the fastest 7mm only behind the lazzeroni. Loads have been softened quite a bit from those published by layne simpson...the developer of the ST sereies...after Shooting Times the mag that he writes for. I have one, built in 1992, when the cartridge was still a wildcat. I personally have cronographed 140 gr Nosler BT ahead of 86 gr of H-1000 at 3425fps, shooting into 1/2 inch at 100 yds. You won't find that or any other of those early loads in manuals today. I think SAAMI pressures were limited to 58,000 psi and that took the steam out of it really fast. The 270 max pressure is 60,000. Plus Rem came out with their Ultra Mag series of which they had a 7mm version, which of course they pushed. Since then the STW has fallen sharply, soon to be extinct as said by Simpson hiimself. It came from the Rem 8mm Mag, which ultimately was spawned from the 375 H&H Mag so its heritage is sound.

GeauxTide
November 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
25-40% more powder for 5-10% more velocity.
7mmRM is already over bore.
Longer action.
Much more expensive brass.
Much greater recoil velocity.

Scorch
November 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
7mm STW is a full-length belted magnum, which has its drawbacks. Remington dropped the 7mm STW chambering in favor of the 7mm RUM a few years back. If you are looking at buying a 7mm super-magnum get a 7mm RUM, you get the same level of performance or better and a beltless case to boot.