PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mosin Ammo

LloydXmas250
November 2, 2009, 01:25 PM
I just bought a Mosin and ordered a small pack, I want to get a feel for the different types before I buy bulk, of Brown Bear. It was advertised as non-corrosive but I've also heard from people that it still is. Anyone here know for sure? Also, I can't shoot steel core bullets in any range in my area or in the local forest. Are Brown Bear steel cored? I couldn't figure it out.

Nick-Mc
November 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
Not steel core and non-corrosive

LloydXmas250
November 2, 2009, 01:48 PM
Alright. So no need to clean the barrel with windex then right? And how is Brown Bear as an ammo. The steel casing kinda bugged me. Is it really that bad?

Snowmanx7
November 2, 2009, 02:02 PM
Mosins are designed for steel case. No problems there and I've never had any probs with any kind of bear ammo.

carguychris
November 2, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'd recommend the Silver Bear if you can find it. Brown Bear has lacquer-coated cases, and the lacquer tends to stick to residual cosmoline inside the chamber, so it will cause extraction problems unless you've cleaned the chamber really thoroughly. AFAIK both brands come from the same factory, and I've found that they shoot about the same.

If you can find it, I'd recommend Prvi Partizan aka Wolf Gold (same ammo, different box). It has Boxer-primed brass cases rather than Berdan-primed steel; as Snowmanx7 said, I have no reservations about steel cases causing damage to the rifle, I just don't like throwing away centerfire shell casings. :(

notamisfit6
November 2, 2009, 07:30 PM
Ammoman.com has some Yugoslavian stuff that's not steel-core. Might be a bit cheaper than Prvi or Brown Bear (although still about 1.5x that of the spam-can stuff).

MEATSAW
November 2, 2009, 07:54 PM
Its decent ammo, but as stated the lacquer coated steel cases could leave some undesired gummy-ness in your action if things start to heat up.

I have found that my M44 shoots Bulgarian 147 gr FMJ surplus exceptionally well. It is also very cheap ($80 for 440 rds) and has a copper washed steel case.

Brown Bear should do you well though if you can get it at a good price.

B. Lahey
November 2, 2009, 08:02 PM
I can't shoot steel core bullets in any range in my area or in the local forest

Why?

Steel is less toxic than copper, if you are worried about the miniscule environmental impact of shooting in the woods.

If you can shoot in the woods, you can shoot steel case/jacket/core ammo in the woods.

LloydXmas250
November 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
I live in So Cal in a high fire danger area. I guess they say lead rounds do not heat up as much as steel core. Believe me, it's stupid. They also won't allow any shooting during high fire danger and that's up to the discretion of the rangers who don't want people shooting. There's maybe two months total I can shoot in the forest. I either trek to the desert or pay $12 for a visit to the range.

tater134
November 2, 2009, 09:12 PM
If youre looking for good non-corrosive ammo Privi Partisan makes good stuff.Its also very good hunting ammo and I use it in my 91/30 during deer season.Its also boxer primed and reloadable.

qwman68
November 3, 2009, 02:59 PM
CALIFORNIA SUX!!!!!!!!! other than that i use wolf,and bulk bulgarian light ball. the bulgarian is corrosive though.but shoots great.

LloydXmas250
November 3, 2009, 06:07 PM
California does suck. I was just unfortunate to be born here against my will. Looking to leave if at all possible, moving is hard just out of school. Anyway. I think I'm going to get some of that Bulgarian bulk next time. I know it's corrosive and I'm fine with that. What is the purpose for coating the shell in lacquer for brown bear?

Nick-Mc
November 3, 2009, 06:26 PM
All that stuff isn't steel core and its non-corrosive meaning it's not going to eat your gun if you leave it dirty. Don't worry about the windex unless you're shooting surplus corrosive ammo. You'll be fine with brown bear, wolf, silver bear, golden bear, etc. It's all fine for your applications.

GONIF
November 3, 2009, 07:16 PM
no need to worry about corosive ammo ,just clean up after shooting and you'll be fine . I have been doing it for 30+ years with no problem. my Mosin like heavy ball better then light ball ammo. :D

3StrikesNC
November 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
Dude, check this site out;
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

I found it extremely helpful for my M44.

notamisfit6
November 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
Something I always found kinda funny in retrospect; the indoor range I visit (H&H in Oklahoma City) strictly forbids steel-core surplus ammo. However, they have no problems selling you the WWB 7.62x54R (also steel core) and letting you shoot it on the range. I guess steel is only a ricochet hazard when the ammo is less than a dollar per round.