PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and lubricating

cjmroz
October 31, 2009, 01:14 PM
I just recently bought my first semi auto pistol a glock 23 and i need to clean it and i was looking at the different types of cleaning solvents. I was wondering does it really matter what kind you use? (cause i saw just solvent, copper solvent, semi auto solvent). And my second question is i seen this gunslick graphite lube and was wondering if anyone has used this or knows anything about this product. Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks

JohnKSa
October 31, 2009, 02:04 PM
I use a generic bore solvent/nitro solvent for brushing out the bore. Breakfree CLP (and probably any other decent CLP) works well for this purpose too.

I use a foaming bore cleaner--Outers and Breakfree make good ones but every one I've tried has been acceptable--to finish cleaning the copper deposits/metal fouling out after the bore is mostly clean.

Occassionally if the bore is really cruddy--or has a lot of metal fouling--I will use RemClean to finish the job. Be sure to follow the directions on the bottle exactly or it's a waste of time.

My typical bore cleaning routine goes like this:

Spray in typical bore solvent or BreakFree CLP and do several passes with a brush. Flush bore and dry with a patch.

Spray in foaming bore cleaner and let it sit per the directions. Patch the cleaner/fouling out and examine the bore. If the gun has only been shot a couple hundred rounds since the last cleaning typically I can repeat step one and be done.

If the gun has had a lot of rounds through it since cleaning or has a rough bore I may have to repeat steps 1 and 2 and may have to do a cycle with the RemClean bore cleaner to remove the residual metal fouling.

For general cleaning/wipedown I typically use Breakfree CLP on a rag or paper towel--I imagine any decent CLP would work as well. Before I start wiping using solvent I may take the gun outside and use a toothbrush or nylon brush to knock off the dry fouling.

I use Breakfree CLP for most of my lubrication that requires oil--again my suspicion is that any decent gun oil will work just fine. I also tend to use light grease for some heavy wear points.

Alleykat
October 31, 2009, 05:25 PM
Glocks require very little lube. Use only four or five smalllll drops, per Glock's instructions. Just be sure to put one drop where the connector engages the trigger bar.

madmag
October 31, 2009, 05:37 PM
All John said above with this added:

For major cleaning I like to completely flush a pistol with CLP. I mean spray until it is dripping, with attention to tight places. Then I use my air compressor at 100 psi and a non-safety air gun. Just a very Strong jet of air and I blow out all of the excess CLP. This takes any dirt away and if you do it correctly the pistol is dry enough to shoot right away.

I have taken apart a pistol after this procedure to see how the tight places cleaned. Works great.

wvshooter
October 31, 2009, 07:01 PM
Congrats on the purchase of your first semi auto. Something tells me it won't be your last.

Hoppes #9 works well for cleaning the bore. Soak a small piece of cotton t-shirt in Hoppes and run it through the bore. If the bore is really crudded up let it saok a couple minutes. Then work a stiff bristle brush in the bore as needed. This loosens any lead, copper or other crud that might be in the bore. Next saturate a white gun cleaning patch with Break Free CLP or Rem Oil or Gunzilla or Weapons Shield or whatever your favorite lub/rust inhibitor is and push it through the bore until a patch comes out white. You're done with the inside of the bore.

For getting rid of the powder residue and other dirt inside the rest of the gun I like Break Free or Rem Oil. I prefer Break Free because it has a foaming quality but either one is good. Just spray generally inside the entire gun and wipe off the excess.

Next I like to wipe all outside parts of the gun with a lubricant/rust inhibitor. For this I've used Weapons Shield or Break Free or Rem Oil. I'm sure there are others that could be used. Before putting the slide back on the gun apply a little gun grease to the slide rails. I'm using White Lithium Grease myself but there are a ton of products available. Lastly, steer clear of WD40 when it comes to your gun.

williamd
October 31, 2009, 08:55 PM
Be careful. A buddy marred his plastic (or whatever) Glock with solvent! All guns require very little lubricant. I wipe off everything I can with a cloth. I even read a couple of manuals that came with some of mine to see if I had missed anything over the last few decades! :)

FishEngineer
October 31, 2009, 09:19 PM
The worst thing you can do to most handguns and especially a Glock is put a lot of cleaner / lube on it. It just attracts and retains junk the next time you fire it and makes the subsequent cleaning even more of a chore.

Check out Eezox - you won't be disappointed. Also, a paste style lube used in small quantities is best for the slide and other touch points.

zombieslayer
November 1, 2009, 09:25 AM
I saw a good friend carry a Kimber for 2 years, never cleaned it, just carried it. I was always on him, and finally, he took it to his dad's and we watched as the "old timer" took it apart, DRENCHED everything in Rem oil, scrubbed it with a steel brush, then sprayed every part soaking wet, and tried forcing it back together without knowing how. it was horrifying. he dropped it twice, then sprayed more oil. a thousand dollar gun man!

williamd
November 1, 2009, 11:54 AM
Try this ... it works! Get your tea kettle boiling, pour the hot water across all the parts or through the entire gun. The gunk and junk runs out! The hot water immedialtey evaporates and drys. Wipe with a not too oily cloth. Done! I have used the process on pistols, revolvers, shotguns and rifles! This was shown to me by an old-timer (Even to me!) competitive shooter who had a Camp Perry winner's plaque above his loading bench ... which was set up in his living room! His wife was also a shooter!!

iostorm
November 1, 2009, 12:06 PM
I use a couple drops of 0w30 or 5w30 Mobil one synthetic motor oil for slides wear points etc. It has way more lubricity than anything you will find for gun use.

Works great.

bakon
November 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
Used hot water on M16's in the Army.Just dont get caught. Also used breakfree.

Used Hopps on hunting rifles years ago.

Used only breakfree on my Glocks last 20 years. Nothing else. Work great and never a problem. Used any gun oil sparingly when put back together. a drop in a couple places is all it needs.

madmag
November 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
Used hot water on M16's in the Army.Just don't get caught.

I guess times change.

When I was in the Army we were instructed to use hot water and lye soap to clean M1 rifles. Same thing for our machine guns. Worked great.

KyJim
November 1, 2009, 12:34 PM
When I was in the Army we were instructed to use hot water and lye soap to clean M1 rifles. Same thing for our machine guns. Worked great.

I'm guessing they were concerned about running into batches of ammo with corrosive primers. Soap and water are SOP. Fortunately, most of us don't have to worry about this nowadays.