PDA

View Full Version : CZ-52 vs. Tokarev?

zombieslayer
October 28, 2009, 12:30 PM
So, I've gotten it in my head that I want a new gun and have always liked 7.62x25 since the first CZ I shot. I've heard the Tokarevs are more picky about ammo. Any thoughts/opinions?

ohen cepel
October 28, 2009, 12:37 PM
I like the CZ better myself, feels better in my hand and will take hot ammo without problems.

I have little Tok experience (Chinese version) but would agree with the ammo issue, they can't take the hot ammo which was made for the sub guns or the 52.

I think the CZ's are a great deal now and would jump on one. I haven't liked the Tok's that have been imported recently since they have the safety added. This is usually done poorly (allowed my Chinese one to fire upon closing) to little gain in my mind.

I would get the CZ unless you're getting a steal on the Tok.

zombieslayer
October 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
Is it true that you can bet a 9mm mag and barrel for a 52? I thought I saw a whole set up at a gunshow, and it came with a couple barrels and was supposed to be interchangeable.

ZeSpectre
October 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
Is it true that you can bet a 9mm mag and barrel for a 52?
It was true once upon a time...good luck finding one now.

I'm afraid the heyday of "cheap and available milsurp" is fading to a close.

XLT
October 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
mags are generally the same...

I have a 9mm czech made barrel for mine... got it from AIM a while back but they ran out within days...Haven't shot 9mm through as I haven't been able to get the parts to make a it a drop in...

I prefer the look of the Tok, but the feel of the CZ...

amd6547
October 28, 2009, 12:54 PM
I much prefer the Tokarev. The two I have had experience with (pitted mismatch Chinese Viet Nam bringback, and Romanian) fed and fired any ammo I put in them, with 100% reliability, and great accuracy.
The CZ52 I owned only functioned reliably with S&B commercial ammo. None of the surplus ammo was reliable. Accuracy sucked, lucky to keep 4 out of eight on a paper plate at 25yds. My Romanian Tok will keep all eight on at the same distance.
The Tok is thinner and more compact, and proven in decades of war in the worst conditions imaginable.
The add-on safety does not bother me at all. It is useful at the range, and I just ignore it the rest of the time.
My Tok is more than a range toy for me...it is my preferred woods/camping pistol. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for SD...in fact, it CCW's very well.

zombieslayer
October 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
I haven't looked around much, but if the Tok's are cheap enough I'm sure I'll end up with both

greywalker
October 28, 2009, 02:15 PM
try handling both first- personally, I found the feel of the cz just did not work at all for me.....just felt....weird and hard to get a good grip on....others love em though..... so handle both first if you can......

tater134
October 28, 2009, 02:17 PM
I used to have a Polish Tokarev and absolutely loved it.Supposedly they have a better fit and finish than other countries versions of the pistol.Mine shot very well and never had any problems with any of the ammo I put through it.

erwos
October 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
One comment: you can actually get 9mm barrels for the TT-33, too. Norinco makes a 9mm Tokarev that is almost 100% interchangeable with the "real" TT-33. You'll also need to get the appropriate (matching) bushing, barrel link, and barrel link pin, but it's doable.

Bad news is, these parts aren't terribly cheap or easy to find now that Norincos are banned from import, so you might have to look around a bit. But, if there's an ammo import ban, having that 9mm barrel will help keep your gun useful.

benogil
October 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Something to consider, reports are tok's don't feed XTP's reliably.

zombieslayer
October 29, 2009, 07:18 PM
i guy I used to work with had a chinese Tokarev, and he said it would only feed certain ammo, but If/when I find one and buy it, I'll try out what ammo's available, and have a few thousand rounds of it ordered. I'm leaning more toward the CZ to buy first, because I shot one, and I know I like CZ's. I have 9mm guns already, so interchangeability is good, but I really want something in 7.62 for sure. My buddy with a C&R said the 52's are drying up, so I want one or two.

cdwoods
October 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
I have two CZ 52's and one Yugo M57 Tokarev. I like the Yugo version since it has a longer grip. I have found all to be equally accurate and enjoy them. I'm looking for another M57 to balance out the set.

Wrothgar
October 31, 2009, 07:44 PM
So where can one find a CZ 52. I've never seen one for sale at any of the big web sites.

zombieslayer
October 31, 2009, 08:24 PM
I've seen them at gunshows, a few at shops, and my C&R buddy has a few. They seem to be drying up, thats mhy I wanted to start a thread on the sate of guns chambered for the 7.62x25. I wish to heck I'd bought the 52 I saw with the extra barrel and whatnot. It was LNIB for like $300. I left with a Keltec :o

gandog56
November 9, 2009, 09:29 PM
So where can one find a CZ 52. I've never seen one for sale at any of the big web sites.

SOG had them the last I looked.

erwos
November 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
SOG had them the last I looked.
Alas, no longer. The cheap CZ-52s have really dried up - last time I saw any under $200 was at Allen's Armory, and they were gone within an hour. This is, incidentally, the reason people are so eager to grab the CZ-82 - there's a real fear that they could suddenly be difficult to obtain like the CZ-52.

Tidewater_Kid
November 10, 2009, 11:36 AM
I see some on Gunbroker.com. They are still out there but the big supply dried up. I got my from SOG when they had them for $125. That was almost 3 years ago. I have learned to buy when I see something like these. If you don't like it you can always sell it later!

TK