PDA

View Full Version : hunting in thick brush

preston897
October 27, 2009, 11:28 PM
im gonna be going hunting in mississipi in the next few weeks. where im going is kinda thick. my rifle is a howa 1500 .243. whats is the best round to use for this gun so ill be able to shoot decent in the brush.

HiBC
October 27, 2009, 11:45 PM
I have neverf used a .243,so I cannot recommend a good round.
What I can tell you is,the "brush busting" round just isn't there.Don't shoot through brush.

The bullet will be deflected.

Another issue,if you cannot clearly see your target,you take the chance of killing someone.

You must find a window through the sticks where you can see the spot you want to hit,without hitting sticks.

Then,any round that works in an alfalfa field works the same in the brush.

Have a great hunt!!

preston897
October 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
i know that i shoud not shoot if i cant see the target. but you know there is a chance that i may get mixed up in some brush. i just didnt know how much it would deflect.

Prince55
October 28, 2009, 12:58 AM
That bullet diameter is hard to keep from deflecting in brush. A .35 dia.
or larger & round nose is better.

taylorce1
October 28, 2009, 05:42 AM
All bullets will deflect, even the largest heaviest ones if they encounter brush on the way to target. Something like grass can even throw your bullet off course. How much can't be determined as every time will be different. Your best bet is to wait and be patient for a window of opportunity where the deer steps into an open area that you can thread the needle to get the bullet where it belongs.

Never ever try to shoot through brush, a wounded and lost animal just isn't worth it.

Old Grizz
October 28, 2009, 06:28 AM
All bullets will deflect, even the largest heaviest ones if they encounter brush on the way to target. Something like grass can even throw your bullet off course. How much can't be determined as every time will be different. Your best bet is to wait and be patient for a window of opportunity where the deer steps into an open area that you can thread the needle to get the bullet where it belongs.

Never ever try to shoot through brush, a wounded and lost animal just isn't worth it.

I couldn't have said it any better!!!!! No such thing as a "brush busting rifle".

wpcexpert
October 28, 2009, 06:59 AM
My definition of hunting in brush is under 50-60 yd shots. If I knew there would be no posible shot over that distance, I would be sure I was dead on at that range. Not 1 inch high, not a half inch high...dead nuts on. That way, I could shoot thru a 2-3 inch hole if needed.

But I would also shoot the rifle at the other distances (100-150) to know where the POI is just in case a longer shot comes up.

As far as bullet choice...the same one you would use elsewhere.

garryc
October 28, 2009, 07:01 AM
You say thick brush, does that include large open areas. If it is all thick brush you might be better served with an open sighted shotgun and slugs. Barring that, and to have some of the abilities of the shotgun and the rifle, I'd say a Remington 7600 carbine (30-06) and a low power scope (somethng that goes down to 1.25 or 1.5 power) would be a very viable choice.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/trophy/731642M/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95153

If it was me I'd take both a rifle and a shotgun with slugs.

Magnum Wheel Man
October 28, 2009, 07:30 AM
while not he "best gun" for thick woods, if you pick your shots, you "can" take deer with one in thick woods... ( BTW... I switched directly from a .243, to a 45-70 after a couple years :D )

... but to answer your question, I used handloads that used a 100 grain bullet, if you don't reload, pick up 3-4 boxes of various "heavy bullet" loads & see how they shoot in your gun, if you can find a more rounded nose bullet, it'll have the potential to deflect less, but how the bullet shoots in your gun is of most importance.

jmr40
October 28, 2009, 07:59 AM
Your 243 will work just as well in brush as anything else, maybe better. Use the same loads you would normally use. I would zero the rifle at no more than 100 yards however. Many people zero at 200 or more which means their bullets will be 1"-2" high at some point. The idea in brush is to use your scope to find small openings to shoot through. If you have your scope hitting high at short ranges it makes it harder to thread shots through baseball sized openings in brush.

globemaster3
October 28, 2009, 08:14 AM
I second (or third, or fourth, I lost count) what HiBC, taylorce, and JMR said. What most consider "true" brush guns like 30-30s, 44 mag, .35, .32, etc, are normally considered as such because of their carbine configuration makes them easy to wield in thick brush. Rumors abound as to the lack of deflection in some calibers over others. They will all deflect to some degree. Planning for that deflection is not wise.

Stick to the basic truths:

Use a bullet designed for the game you are hunting.
Make sure you have a clear shot.
Practice ahead of time to be comfortable with your weapon and improve your accuracy.

I learned to hunt in palmetto heads and swamps in Florida, so I am familiar with tight environs.

Good luck with your hunt! Let us know how it goes.

preston897
October 28, 2009, 08:17 AM
ok thanks alot! that makes sense. ive got my scope zeroed at 100yds. ill just try differant rounds and see what works the best.

168 grain
October 28, 2009, 08:32 AM
.243 is a good dear round. Just use what ever you have on hand and sight in with. I know people who talk about brush guns but I have yet to see actual tests. I am sure a limb changes the flight path more than a single blade of grass. Maybe the tests are out there. I'm also sure some rounds do better than others. I have to think a .50 BMG could handle grass better than a .17HMR. Remember the earlier your projectile comes into contact with anything the more it will effect flight path. That means if the projectile encounters wind or grass or what ever. The closer the muzzle the projectile encounters the outside element the more it will throw the projectile off the intended target.

preston897
October 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
that makes sense. im still trying to learn all about bullets and stuff. its just alot to know and im tryin to get a hang of that part haha

garryc
October 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
You see what happens when you first wake up, I misread the original post.

243 is fine, the ides that heavier bullets don't deflect has been debunked many times. One theory is that that the light bullet is better. If it hit brush it will often disintegrate and not get deflected into a gut. That's not my theory. Still, I'd pack a shotgun/slug gun for when I knew long shots were not on the menu.

preston897
October 28, 2009, 08:56 AM
so what kinda of slugs would you recomend? like 3in? or just standard 2 3/4 for my 12 ga?

garryc
October 28, 2009, 09:04 AM
2-3/4" K.O. slugs is what I use in my smooth bore. Lightfields in my rifled slug. Even at that, I choose between them when I hunt because the rifle bore is scoped. Some of the places I crawl into are so thick I really don't even need a rear sight.

preston897
October 28, 2009, 09:08 AM
my shotgun is a smooth bore. ill check those slugs out. oh its gonna be fun lugging around 2 guns on a hunt

a7mmnut
October 28, 2009, 09:21 AM
I have an entirely different opinion on "Brush guns". While myself and my oldest son enjoy our .243's with Winchester Power Point 100 gr. bullets at Wally World for $18.97 a box, the problem is they push even the heaviest loads to extreme velocity at close range. That will and always has equalled bullet disintegration if you hit bone, brush, or anything else as solid. I most often use my Marlin .444 for such duties. If I set up in a blind or my bow stands, I may even carry my .41 Revolver or T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters. Whatever you do, stay away from the lighter bullets travelling at extreme speeds over 3k fps.

-7-

globemaster3
October 28, 2009, 09:29 AM
A quick tutorial on bullet selection appears to be in order. Please do not use "anything on hand". The .243 is a versatile round with many loadings intended for varmints. Varmint bullets are intended to expand very rapidly on small animals such as prairie dogs, ground hogs, etc. Use of these bullets on deer-sized game or hogs will probably not yield the results you desire.

Since your intent is to take large game, might I suggest you stick with the heavier bullets intended for that purpose. There are offerings out there in 95 -100 grain bullets that are proven in the taking of deer and hogs and virtually every cartridge manufactuer has something you can use. Which one you chose is probably more preferance, as the price selection can vary wildly from the $18 price point previously mentioned to $38 for premium bullets.

If you need specific recommendations, I'm sure we can inundate you in short order, as many folks use the .243 for hunting and I'll bet their choices run the gamut!

garryc
October 28, 2009, 10:29 AM
my shotgun is a smooth bore. ill check those slugs out. oh its gonna be fun lugging around 2 guns on a hunt

LOL!! no man, you carry two in the truck or in camp and choose which suits the hunting you are planning that day

L_Killkenny
October 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
LOL!! no man, you carry two in the truck or in camp and choose which suits the hunting you are planning that day

+1 !!!

Don't carry 2 guns. I've even gotton to the point of leaving a gun in the truck when the choice is between a long gun and a hand gun. I took my .357 with me hunting one year "in case" a deer was available in range. My main gun was my 12ga. Learned right then not to do that. Pick a gun and go with it. 2 guns is a pain and you always have the wrong gun available or in your hands. BTW, I did get a deer that year with the .357.

If your choices are between a .243 and the 12ga. pick the one that you handle the best. Quick handling is key in thick brush.

LK

James R. Burke
October 28, 2009, 03:57 PM
Nosler 100 grain partitions. Pick your shots, and placement, just like any caliber placement is key or leave it walk.

preston897
October 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
ahh its all making so much more sense. i just dont have a vast knowledge on how a bullet acts traveling through the air

Old Grump
October 28, 2009, 07:23 PM
Use whatever you are used to using, you already are familiar with it and its point of impact from where you aim. There is no magic brush bullet but if you hit brush close to the deer your chance of a hit are pretty good, if the hit on the brush is closer to you say bye bye to the deer as he laughs and goes merrily on his way.

fisherman66
October 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Don't hit any brush
Zero at an appropriate range (50 yards or so if that's what you expect)
Don't hit brush
Use any bullet designed for medium game that shoots well in your rifle
Don't hit any brush
Most importantly, don't hit brush.
Oh, and don't...

hksnpr223
October 28, 2009, 10:23 PM
I hunt with a remington 760 gamemaster in .243 using 100gr bullets. I have only had to take one shot thru light brush. The bullet impact was a little off but the brush was right in front of the deer so the deflection was not bad. Deer ran about 100 yds and left a nice blood trail. Just as long as your not shooting thru too much stuff you should be alright. Just pick your shots like some other people said.

Bigjim3
October 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
Buy a 45-70 and dont worry about the brush. 405g works wonders in thick brush..

bamaranger
October 29, 2009, 01:30 AM
Missed a deer one time 'cause a .270/130 deflected on sage GRASS. Clean miss thankfully.

Ditto to all above. Don't shoot brush, shoot deer.

Swampghost
October 29, 2009, 02:03 AM
I can assure you that a .223 will deflect off of sawgrass. Light, high-velocity rounds tend to take off.

I use my .243 across cow pastures from a raised stand. My 'go to' in the woods is an 1894 Marlin in .44. Light, short, punches a .44 hole on entry, who could ask for anything more inside of 100 yds?

BTW, the 240 gr. drops 14" @ 200 yds. when zeroed @ 100 and will cruise right through a 4X4 post at that range. Yep, I shot my target stand sighting in a new scope.

preston897
October 29, 2009, 10:01 AM
im used to shooting 100 gr. federal soft points. they are cheap and good for the range. but i figure i needed somthing a bit better to hunt with. or is that actually a suitable hunting ammo? is it worth it to go spen $40 on a box of ammo?

garryc
October 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
Nope, If I was shooting factory ammo it would be 95 grain federal fusions.

James R. Burke
October 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
I reload the .243 for my wife deer hunting with the Nosler 100 grain partition. For the caliber size and were we hunt the extra bucks are worth it. Even if you have to buy them. They also cost quite a bit more even reloading, but for the size of the caliber and thick country I believe they are one of the best. There are others out there just has good, but you will pay more for them. Just me they are worth it.

Christchild
October 29, 2009, 05:23 PM
Try to find ammunition (if You don't HandLoad) that's loaded with Round Nose bullets, 90-95-100 grain weight.

Round Nose, if You can find them.

jmr40
October 29, 2009, 06:26 PM
Round nose!!! Absolutely no reason to use round nose bullets. They offer no advantages.

preston897
October 29, 2009, 07:18 PM
why is it that you say there is no advantage to round nose? whats the advantages of non round nosed?

168 grain
October 30, 2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you globemaster3 for correcting me. After reading my post, I did like how "any ammo you have" could be read. Globemaster is right, I assumed you already had the ammo to hunt deer and that you were going to hunt deer. Looking back at your thread it did not say. Make sure you have the right ammo for the game you are hunting. As far as brush .243 ammo, It doesn't exist in my opinion. I would make sure you have a clear shot. If you encounter brush close to the game animal or target it is not nearly going to have the impact on the bullet as brush close to the muzzle. I want to reiterate that because I have tested it using brush mostly grass and a variety of glass pieces.

mapsjanhere
October 30, 2009, 04:58 PM
The theoretical advantage of the round nose bullet in brush is that the center of gravity is close to the tip, so it's less likely to be send into a tumbling or yawing motion by a blade of grass than a spitzer bullet where the longer distance between tip and center gives you a longer fulcrum. Whether that makes a difference hunting, no idea.

bcarver
October 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
95 or 100 grain

22-rimfire
October 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
Bullets and brush/trees do not mix. Keep you scope turned down to 4x if you have a varable so you are more likely to see the brush rather than focusing on the othe side of the obstacle.

"Brush guns" are just quick handling rifles. Shotgun slugs are great for close shots.

My "brush gun" is either a 41 mag revolver or 480 Ruger Revolver. That is pretty much all I use anymore for deer hunting when I go unless I am hunting over a field where the potential for a long shot is there.

Scout out your spot before going and perhaps clear some shooting lanes.

Donutfish
October 31, 2009, 04:18 AM
I've actually taken deer through some near completely occluded briars that were 10 feet deep from 25 yards. I could make out the silhouette and I was using a 45/70. We recovered the bullet. It went through the horrifically thick brush, through the animal and fell right on the ground. The bullet was near 90% intact and fully mushroomed. If you are hunting brush, I would not hesitate in recommending this caliber verses this .243.