PDA

View Full Version : Scout scoped blr

Lawyer Daggit
October 26, 2009, 02:43 AM
I have just acquired a second hand BLR (actually an MLR but the same rifle) and am wondering what site to fit - I have a second hand Burris scout scope and a second hand Leupold variable lying around.

Has anyone installed a scout scope on a BLR / MLR .308? (ideally with straight western style stock) how does the gun balance when carried?

Do you have any experience using this sight when the sun is low in the sky and behind you- does the sun get on the lens preventing use?

How does the Scout scope perform in low light situations ie in heavy timber late in the day.

Comments on currently available mounts and rings are also welcome, I have not scoped a rifle for a few years and do not know 'what is out there' in terms of the newer developments ie I know QD rings are available for a weaver base- are they reliable when a scope is removed and reinstalled? am I going to need to shoot the gun in again after swopping sights.

Anyone have any experience fitting both a conventional weaver base and a scout base on this type of rifle, enabling a quick change from the use of scout scope to a conventional scope?

Thanking you in anticipation for your response

langloisandy
October 26, 2009, 05:48 PM
LD,

I run a Scout Rifle, nota BLR but a Savage (and have custom ones made, plus Steyrs and such...). Pop on over to the Scout Forum if no one has an answer here: http://www.scoutrifle.org/ Someone there might have done this and can guide you.

I love the Scout concept, it works well for me.

When the sun is behind you it CAN reflect back from a Scout scope, this has never hindered me or popped up in my hunting experiences.

Andy

bamaranger
October 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
There is a very well written commentary on the scout 'scope and hunting on the Ching Sling guy (andy Langolais????) scout rifle site. Sorry I can't list it better, but its out there I'm sure somebody else can point you better.

I have had trouble seeing the reticule in bad light/timber on my Leu LER scout and just had a reticule change to improve things. The critters are plenty visible. I have not experienced a glare problem w/ sun to my six.

I'm running a b-square rib as came on the rifle, and Leupold Quick Release levers. When the 'scope goes back on, I get a very good, working zero, but not a absolute precise return. I would not hesitate to hunt w/ it though.

The way I'm using the rifle, I don't feel handicapped.

sneaky pete
October 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: Recently instaled a Scout Mount( from CMP) on my M1 Garand, Initially I used a Weaver 4X LER with Warne QR rings and it worked OK---BUT. I decided to get a Burris 3X12X32 W/BCD redicle LER and the Warne QR rings and had it at the range Sat. to zero. Worked very good and the Zero shift after removing the scope and re-mounting was< 1"@100 and that was using Korean M2-Ball H/S PS74. which I consider acceptable. I'm going to use this set-up to kill feral pigs on a friends farm in central Florida. I've also installed a LER scope on a M-48 Yugo mauser,8MM, and it also worked well.. I like the idea of the Scout mount on the Garand over the "Traditional" left side offset. THANX--SNEAKY :)

Lawyer Daggit
October 27, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info and lead on the scout rifle site.