PDA

View Full Version : S&W 41 click no fire

Onapar
October 25, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have a S&W 41 that has been acting up with the hammer failing to fall. I have cleaned and lubed as best I could but to no avail. I took the grips off at the range and fired the gun to see if I could determine what was going on. I would get one or two shots off then click and the hammer spring would jump but the hammer stayed on the sear and no fire.
I took the gun to a gun smith and hopefully he can fix it. He thinks it is a worn trigger bar what do you all think?

TOMBECK
October 25, 2009, 07:25 PM
Might check and slightly adjust the trigger stop?? Check to see the trigger bar spring is functioning - bar moving freely. Not aware of the trigger bar wearing out but never say never.

Suggest that a complete cleaning with bbl, slide, grips (mag naturally) all removed. Depending on age and # of rounds, slide dis-asssembly and cleaning in order, and possibly new springs (fireing pin and slide).

LHB1
October 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
1. Back off the trigger stop screw 1/2 rev and retest with multiple ammo brands.

2. Call/send pistol to S&W if problem persists.

Onapar
October 27, 2009, 07:42 PM
I called S&W about my problem and when I told the lady I was not the original owner I would have to pay shipping and repair charges. I opted to take it to a gun smith and three days later he called and said charges were thirty five bucks and gun was fixed.
The trigger adjustment screw was way out to far and there was some wear on the sear and hammer what was happening was every few shots and the hammer would catch on the half cock notch on the hammer and then no fire.
I go to the range friday and am sure it will be fine.:)