PDA

View Full Version : washed a loaded mag

TimNelson
October 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
So my wife accidently washed a loaded mag full of ammo. Has anyone else ever done this? Do you think the ammo is ruined? This was my carry ammo so I will not be using it for that but I'm wondering if I could still use it as range ammo. What does everyone else think?

jknight8907
October 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
Go shoot it. The worst that could happen is nothing happens when you pull the trigger. 99% chance it'll work normally though.

Uncle Malice
October 25, 2009, 04:42 PM
Yep. Go shoot it. Get on it before it corrodes or something..and then disassemble/clean your mag. Make sure there's no rust.

Should be fine. What kind of mag was it?

TimNelson
October 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
its the kahr extended mag for the pm9

hoytinak
October 25, 2009, 05:05 PM
That's nothing wait till you wash a whole gun. :p

Doing laundry one night, I took the clothes from the washer to the dryer and then I heard a banging noise tumbling in the dryer. I opened it up and found my Seecamp .32 out of the holster banging around in there. The holster was still in the pocket. It went all the way through the washer without me knowing. Guess I need to start checking my clothes better. I took it straight from the dryer to the back porch and emptied the mag into the berm, worked great just as I figured it would. After that I detailed stripped the Seecamp and the mag, cleaned, lubed, loaded and stuck it in my pocket. :D

eagleninezero
October 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hoyt - that's hilarious! Good thing you noticed before the dryer heat kicked in ....:eek:

NWPilgrim
October 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
Thank your wife for helping you torture test your carry ammo!

Try it at the range. Then you will know whether to trust it if you fall in the river while being chased by zombies.

Mello2u
October 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
The ammo will likely function normally. However, out of an abundance of caution be prepared for malfunctions; such as, hang fire, misfire, or squib.

Actually, the worst that can happen is not that the ammo will fail to shoot. The worst is if you get a bullet lodged in the barrel from a squib (under powered discharge). Or if you get a delayed firing (hang fire) and have failed to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Delays in firing can be many seconds!

Christchild
October 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
Me, I'd pull the bullets just to make sure. If they're OK, just Re-Assemble them, but at minimum, You may need to re-prime them.

Another precaution that's worth mentioning for Carry Ammo...Sealing. Seal the Primers and Bullets, so Should Your ammo get wet, You'll already know that they're dry and reliable.

Markron....I use it for my hunting loads, since there is a chance they could sit awhile, and there's a fair chance that they could get wet on a hunt, whether it be rain, or otherwise.

https://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=954332

orionengnr
October 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
I took my S&W 340PD swimming--twice. Both times while trying to beach or launch my boat.

Each time I blew out the S&W with compressed air, then WD40, then Hoppes, then a good clean & lube.

Each time I put the ammo into my range bag. Next trip to the range I shot it off. Every round fired each time.

ranburr
October 25, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just about all defense ammo will be waterproof. Your lower end range stuff often isn't.

Average Joe
October 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
Its fine, go shoot it.

cornbush
October 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
Shoot 'em, if you have a failure clear it and continue. I'll bet they go off without a hitch.

bigautomatic
October 26, 2009, 07:43 PM
It takes a bit of leverage to seat a bullet and/or primer into a new case, so the fit is fairly snug. Snug enough that I'm certain that all of them will go bang. I would certainly pay attention to report and recoil for each shot for safety's sake though. Hmmmm. I wonder if a quick trip through the Maytag would make my loads smell Downey fresh after firing, instead of like burnt Varget?:D

Terry A
October 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yesterday 06:15 PM
NWPilgrim Thank your wife for helping you torture test your carry ammo!

Try it at the range. Then you will know whether to trust it if you fall in the river while being chased by zombies

Man, that was a funny response! Good one!

imthegrumpyone
October 27, 2009, 04:20 AM
Help your wife out and empty your pockets before throwing clothes in the wash, other than that go shoot nothings hurt, just a little "moisturizing". ;)

QBall45
October 27, 2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to go to the range.

If this happened to me, my wife would have a fit! Something like "look at these cloths...they're recked..." Or "how could you be so forgetful? That's it! No more 'gun junk' for you since you can't keep track of you junk..."

The least of my concerns would be a mag full of ammo...I'd have to be on the lookout for the swinging frying pan. My wife struggles with an anti-gun semi-liberal brain condition. She hates my guns but puts up with em cause the kids & I enjoy time together on the range.

Go shoot that mag full of ammo. Then strip, clean, & lube the mag. Remember after the lube sits for a bit to wipe it dry.

brocken
October 27, 2009, 11:54 AM
Makes me think of the book Gunslinger by Stephen King.
Except he was worse of because he lost his fingers to a giant lobster while sleeping on the beach instead of his wife washing his rounds.

I

berettaprofessor
October 27, 2009, 03:19 PM
Then you will know whether to trust it if you fall in the river while being chased by zombies.

Fall in? You mean jump in, don't you? Everybody knows zombies can't swim:D

brocken
October 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
That's what the suckers thought in Dawn of the Dead. Then the damn zombies just started walking on the bottom of the lake.