PDA

View Full Version : Full-Size EMP a Possibility?

DT Guy
October 23, 2009, 08:19 PM
When I heard that Springfield was working on a 9/10's size 1911, I was extremely excited. I had long been telling shooting buddies and acquaintances that a 1911 scaled down ever-so-slightly to fit the 9/40 class of cartridges would be my dream gun.

Not that I don't love the standard 1911-I do. I shoot it well, operate it well and enjoy its looks, to boot. But with my smallish finger reach, the front-to-back grip dimension is just *this much* too large for me, and I know that I could shoot better with a shallower grip. CZ's, BHP's and other guns simply fit me far better.

I've yet to handle an EMP, will do so at my first opportunity. I'm hoping that the smidgen I need reduced in the depth of the grip was removed. But the truth is, I have no need of an ultra-compact, hyper-tiny 9MM. What I want, for want of a better way to describe it, is a BHP sized 1911.

So what are the chances that Springfield has that in the works? I suspect there are enough who would be interested, based on grip reductions, slim grips and the like I see for 1911's, to make it worth their while. I can't help but think a 'full-size' EMP proportioned gun would be a hit-though as my wife points out, I'm often wrong. :)

Anybody else think this is a good idea?

Larry

Officer's Match
October 23, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've actually been thinking of a standard EMP with a Commander size top end, kind of an ECO instead of a CCO.

rsxr22
October 23, 2009, 10:12 PM
The EMP is a great decision, but i highly doubt it would ever be released in a full size. There is too much that is close enough to it and much cheaper in price. Im not saying they wouldnt sell, but i dont think they would sell good enough for springer to put it into production

gyvel
October 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
When I heard that Springfield was working on a 9/10's size 1911, I was extremely excited. I had long been telling shooting buddies and acquaintances that a 1911 scaled down ever-so-slightly to fit the 9/40 class of cartridges would be my dream gun.

A little known fact is that, in the earlier part of the 20th century, Colt did make a scaled down prototype in .38 ACP, known as the 1910/1911. Photos in Goddard's book, The Government Models show the gun to be in the 7/8 or so range in size, when compared to a .45. It really is a neat looking gun!

ranburr
October 23, 2009, 11:42 PM
I would love a "Champion" sized variant.