PDA

View Full Version : aluminum ammo H&K

laktrash
October 22, 2009, 06:44 PM
I just bought a H&K compact 45 . The manual says not to use aluminum cased ammo. Whats the reasoning ? Not disputing but I sometimes use blazer aluminum at the range with my other guns should I not use it at all ?

hoytinak
October 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
I've shot thousands of Blazer aluminum cased ammo through my USP compact and have never had any problems.

PSP
October 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
The concern is that the Aluminum case has a much higher propensity to spall inside the chamber. Continued spalling can, over time, cause the chamber to shrink, thus increasing the pressures and possibly even getting to the point of causing misfeeds. My guess is that it would take a lot of shooting aluminum to do this. Metal spalling is hard to remove.

IdahoG36
October 22, 2009, 07:46 PM
The concern is that the Aluminum case has a much higher propensity to spall inside the chamber. Continued spalling can, over time, cause the chamber to shrink, thus increasing the pressures and possibly even getting to the point of causing misfeeds. My guess is that it would take a lot of shooting aluminum to do this. Metal spalling is hard to remove.

+1. Aluminum has a tendency to spall against steel, and as PSP stated, is very difficult to remove.