PDA

View Full Version : pietta 1851 navy wedge

starbuck125
October 16, 2009, 10:50 PM
I recently got a 1851 navy,stainless, .44 cal..... beautiful gun.bought it off a guy that needed money from work, was gonna just loan the guy money but he traded this instead. getting to my question.after i git it home was going to take it apart ,that i noticed that the wedge was in backwards.should have noticed it before but i did"nt. anybody klnow how to remove it without hurting the finish? any help would be great.....thanks.

Fingers McGee
October 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
Plastic faced hammer should remove it without too much trouble.

Who made it & when? I am unaware of any stainless '51 Navies in '44 cal that were made. Colt and Uberti made some in .36 Cal; but not .44, and Euroarms and Pietta made '58 Remingtons; but no Colts.

SigP6Carry
October 17, 2009, 12:07 AM
pietta pistol code yan44: a steel frames 1851 in .44

starbuck125
October 17, 2009, 12:25 AM
sorry.........its nickel plated, guess i was wishing that it was stainless.:o.but its still a beautifull gun.that i'm sure going to enjoy shooting,i own many guns, but i really love shooting BP over any of them.

madcratebuilder
October 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
You may want to try a magnet on the frame. It may be brass under that nickle plate. If so, keep your loads under 22grs or so

n5lyc
October 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
I agree with mad crate builder, MOST of the nickel black powder revolvers i have seen were brass framed, why i don't know.

IF i was to get a nickel plated pistol (and i don't see it happening) I would prefer steel framed.

I have seen 4 that were steel framed, but i think it was done by local gunsmiths. 3 were polished like the bumper of a '57chevy, the other was a sandblasted and nickel finish. It actually looked kinda good.

Ian

robhof
October 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
Brass is very easy to nickel plate, doesn't require the added step of copper plate or base plate, then repolish for the nickel, and can be done for about the same price as bluing steel and with the brass being cheaper, a better profit margin, as the nickel guns fetch premium prices new.

n5lyc
October 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
I see....
Ian

starbuck125
October 18, 2009, 09:35 AM
i checked with magnet,its steel frame,never even thought of checking that out......thanks.
i too would have never dreamed that i"d get a nickel plated gun either, like i said in my first post this guy was needing money,& we traded.