PDA

View Full Version : G26 sights question

rangerat
October 14, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hi all

My first post and glad to be here, hope I don't bore or annoy anyone with my inane questions.

I am looking at buying a glock 26 (or possibly 27- another thread maybe!?) for fun on the range/ occasional carry and intend to replace the sights.
I am nearly 50 and although I still shoot reasonably well but my arms seem to be getting too short to easily hold a good focus on the front sight during extended range shoots.

My thoughts are that I quite like the standard Glock rear sight but I need something higher visibilty up front!
I'm not looking for night sights- just the clearest, brightest front dot for daylight and indoor range lighting situations.
(and if your wondering I have owned all sorts of partridge, three white dot, tritium night sights, XS big dots etc etc)

So, the plan is to try the factory rear with a high visibility fibre optic front and my initial choices are.

1. A Truglo front sight (tritium or non tritium)- looks quite rugged (for a FO) but I get the impression that the high metal sides would limit the amount of ambient light that it would absorb and so it may not be as bright during the day as the Hi Viz?

2. The High Viz unit might be brighter but looks a bit fragile with all the exposed FO- maybe OK for accasional carry?

3. The Dawson offering may be the best of both worlds and is probably the unit I will try.

Any thoughts from anyone familiar with these or maybe some other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Sam06
October 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
This is what I run on my G26(EDC) and I like them(The XS Big Dots). I was not too sure at first if they would work like I wanted but they do. These are a very good sights and I think they are the best of the night sights. My other night sight combo I have on a few guns are Heinie Slant Pro 8 sights. I like both but the XS really glow! I mean they really glow......take my word for it...........they are almost too much. Good luck either are nice it just depends on what you want them to do. Both went on the guns with little problems other than some filing. very minor stuff.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=936698

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=709794

rangerat
October 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Sam06

I had the XS Big Dot system on my G17 for a while and they were very good at shorter ranges- however I found that at such ranges I was largely point shooting anyway!
My biggest critism of the Big Dot was that (IMO) the white marker on the rear sight was too dull to provide a reference when I was focussing on the front sight during daylight shooting.
You are right that they glow very well at night.

As I posted earlier I am really looking for the brightest/ clearest daytime fiber optic front sight I can find to match with the Glock factory rear sight.

Thanks again

rsxr22
October 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
im a huge fan of the TFO's, but to my knowledge, you cant buy just a front sight.

If you were looking for a range gun and the possibility of occasional carry, i would recommend the G19 over the G26. The larger grip and barrel make it more accurate. That being said, the Hi-Viz sights are very bright if you are not looking for night sights

rsxr22
October 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
oh and i have the dawson sevigny comp sights w/ fiber front and i would suggest if your eyes are getting older, to stay away from the dawsons because it is a very small front sight

Uncle Malice
October 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
I second the Tru-GLO TFO sights, while they are both Tritium night sights as well as fiber optic light enhancing, they are VERY bright during the day and still provide a good amount of light at night.

Tru-Glo also makes sights that are Fiber Optic only, so no tritium for glowing in the dark. I have the fiber optic sights on my G26 and the TFO's on my G23. In my opinion, the TFO's are better and I wish I would have gotten them from the get-go. Well worth the asking price...

As rsxr22 said, I don't believe you can buy the front sight alone... so that may pose an issue. I think you would be very impressed with the full set though.

As an afterthought, the TFO's are all 3 green dots while the fiber optic only sights are green in the rear with a red dot for the front.... perhaps that would give you better contrast?? If I'm not mistaken they may also have a style with yellow in the rear and green in the front...

check out glockstore.com that's where I ordered mine from.

Cheers!