PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Springfield

ardowling
October 12, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hello, my father recently gave me a 1903 Springfield with SN 133XXXX, this rifle is in great condition the only real wear is on the bolt from being cycled. I fired this rifle back when I was a kid with no problems, but my question is can I safely shoot it now or should I hang it above the fireplace? I would attach pics but photbucket is acting up, thanks in advance for any advice.
Al

darkgael
October 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
You have a classic there, one of the world's great rifles.
If it's the same gun that you shot as a kid, age has not harmed it. The serial number is in seven figures, so you avoid the "low number" discussion.
If I had that rifle, I'd have no qualms about shooting it.
Pete

ReadyOnTheRight
October 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
It's well worth bringing to a gunsmith to have it checked. If he wants to charge you a lot to check it out...move on to the next gunsmith.

Treasure that gun and shoot it. Very nice gift from your Father.

jgcoastie
October 13, 2009, 12:03 AM
It's well worth bringing to a gunsmith to have it checked. If he wants to charge you a lot to check it out...move on to the next gunsmith.

Treasure that gun and shoot it. Very nice gift from your Father.

+1

Slamfire
October 13, 2009, 10:03 AM
I believe your 1.3 Million serial number makes this a nickel steel receiver.

If a gunsmith says the headspace is OK, and the barrel is not a rusted sewer pipe, and no one has messed with the trigger mechanism or drilled holes in things, it should be perfectly safe to shoot.

ardowling
October 13, 2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have taken some pics unfortunalty I could only upload two to photoshop, here they are:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb274/grdpounder/DSCN0441.jpg

This one shows the S.A. mark at the end of the barrel:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb274/grdpounder/DSCN0450.jpg

Thanks again, one more question if the gun checks out what would be the best round to fire out of it? And yes I know it 30-06:)

Al

essohbe
October 13, 2009, 09:40 PM
Ah... a very nice rifle. :cool:

cobra81
October 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Nice rifle. You might be able to find some surplus M2 Ball which would be the "Correct" loading for it, but lacking that, just about any ol' .30-06 hunting ammo will work. Those actions and receivers are built strong, although unless you are hunting big game with it, I'd stay away from bullet weights above 180 grs., if for no other reason than less wear and tear on your shoulder.
You don't mention if you are going to be target shooting or hunting, but why not start with some 150 gr. Winchester FMJ's in the white box? Cheap, and close to the M2 Ball specs. If you reload, your choices are myriad. Just about every bullet manufacturer markets bullets in the 150-180 gr. range, which your rifle will shoot without a problem.
I think you will be pleased with the accuracy of your rifle. They can be quite accurate. My 1903-A3 certainly is. Have fun, and treasure that piece of American history.

Jim Watson
October 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ooh, aah, peacetime 1903; a FINE military rifle.

Learn how to use the 1905 sight, shoot it, clean it, don't alter it, and you can have a lot of fun and leave it in good shape for posterity, too.