PDA

View Full Version : Italian Beretta or American Beretta?

Arbiter89
October 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am sure this has been asked before but any recommendations?

What is the difference if any between the Italian made and American made.

QBall45
October 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
Not sure that there is any differance.

If the choice were mine...I'd want the Italian made gun. But, you'd likely be happy with either.

Maromero
October 12, 2009, 04:36 PM
I once handled a special edition and it was Italian made. I really don't know if the special edition was only limited to the engraving and gold accents or there was special treatment done to de action but it was way superior to both my US Beretta and Taurus. Much, much smoother in operation.

Tommy Vercetti
October 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
mine is Italian, supposedly it's more desirable from a collectability standpoint

Brian48
October 12, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have the Italian one, which seems to be the only version available in my area these days. To be honest, aside from subtle markings, I can't tell the difference. Both appear equally good in terms of smoothness, fit, and overall quality. I wouldn't care either way.

Coltman 77
October 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
I've got one of each.

The 1989 92F Italian is a bit more accurate and the attention to detail seems to be just a bit better than my 1990 92FS.

Both are great and thank god they are blued and not bruniton. :D

Arbiter89
October 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks. :)

Tom2
October 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
Unless you are a collector or have a mystique for Italian guns, it would not be worth it to you to buy the import version if there were a huge price difference. You might go a bit higher to get an Italian just for the fact it is maybe like a German versus US made Sig. Maybe less so, I think the Berettas probably have less squaks about quality control. Now what people do whine about is the newer ones with plastic parts versus older all metal. I might go for all metal versus plastic, instead of point of origin.

Beentown71
October 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
I would get the one that is available for the best price. I have both and they are exactly the same except for markings. Both of mine are stainless. I am currently looking for a 92 Centurion which is a good bit shorter in OAL (read: easier to carry).

Beentown

VHinch
October 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
I've owned several of each, and couldn't tell you which was which without looking at the markings.

IdahoG36
October 13, 2009, 12:08 AM
No differences other than where they are manufactured. They are the same exact gun.

JerseyDrez
October 13, 2009, 12:12 AM
Would you want a BMW that was assembled in Germany or Mexico?

Although they are the same, personally Id rather have an Italian-made Beretta.

Arbiter89
October 13, 2009, 02:55 AM
Will it be more difficult to get the Italian made repaired in the U.S.?

Meaning, if it was manufactured overseas, will it have parts that U.S. repair guys don't have?

VHinch
October 13, 2009, 07:40 AM
will it have parts that U.S. repair guys don't have?

No, they are exactly the same gun.

TripleL
October 13, 2009, 08:34 AM
I don't think the bad guy getting shot with either one would be able to tell the difference. :D

torpeau
October 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
Would you want a BMW that was assembled in Germany or Mexico?

Depends on the plant's management.

You could have higher quality standards in Zimbabwe than in Switzerland -- training, management and quality control would make the difference.

snail
October 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
They are the same gun. When Beretta won the US military contract all of the guns were made in Italy. The only reason they make them in the US is it was part of the agreement with the military. In case of a WWII like situation the military wanted to ensure they could still get their guns and parts. Buy either one they are identical to each other.

Sturmgewehre
October 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
The old school (1980's) Italian made Beretta's are much more nicely fit and finished than the current crop of American made Beretta's. The American guns are functional and work quite well, they're just not the work of art the older Italian guns are.

For a carry gun, I would use an American Beretta. For a collector and a safe queen, I would have Italian Beretta's.

YMMV

Arbiter89
October 13, 2009, 03:39 PM
Well, I heard that the American built model has a few more plastic parts than the Italian. This true or false?

Beentown71
October 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
^^^^Not that I know of. They all use the same materials.

Beentown

Arbiter89
October 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
Well, I hope I won't regret purchasing the Italian. I just feel the place of origin makes a difference. I may be wrong though.

Thanks anyway everyone! :)