PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, Is there any loopholes to purchase non cali approved handguns?

newbieuser009
October 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
i have a friend who is stationed in VA but his wife is a permanent resident of Cali, is there any way to purchase or do the PPT to get the handgun? I am trying to get a HK 45 and this is not listed and can anyone explain the consignment thing because i don't quite understand it. Your response is greatly appreciated.

NavyLT
October 6, 2009, 04:30 PM
It is my limited understanding that firearms not on California's safe list can be sold by private residents of California to other California residents. The guns come into California when new residents move into California and already possess them. They register them as personal handgun importers.

The guns must be transferred at an FFL and I do not know what other requirements must be met, something about a safety certificate I think.

Anyway, consignment is when the gun is delivered to a dealer and the dealer attempts to sell the gun and keeps part of the selling price as his fee. I do not know if dealers in CA can accept guns not on the safe list for consignment.

You will notice on page 35 of this booklet:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

the following statement:
The requirements for handguns to pass safety and functionality tests and to be listed in the Department of Justice’s official list of handguns certified as safe for sale in California do not apply to transactions involving the following:
• Private party transfers of handguns occurring through a firearms dealer. (Penal Code § 12132(a).)

Many people try to claim that handguns not on the safe list may only be sold to law enforcement personnel, but that simply is not true.

Hope this helps a little even though California is the law I have researched the least.

P.S. ABSOLUTELY NO handgun magazines >10 rounds!

seed
October 6, 2009, 04:33 PM
P.S. ABSOLUTELY NO handgun magazines >10 rounds!

...except rebuild kits.

Chris_B
October 6, 2009, 07:25 PM
What about a C&R license?

NavyLT
October 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
HK 45 is not C&R eligible.

azredhawk44
October 6, 2009, 09:41 PM
i have a friend who is stationed in VA but his wife is a permanent resident of Cali, is there any way to purchase or do the PPT to get the handgun? I am trying to get a HK 45 and this is not listed and can anyone explain the consignment thing because i don't quite understand it. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Tags: cali approved, consignment, non list, ppt

Translation: You want your friend to buy a gun in Virginia that is unavailable in CA. You then want him to transfer it to his wife in CA, who will then transfer it to you.

You just described an interstate straw purchase. This will get you several years of PMITA federal prison time. As well as your friends.

Get a CA approved gun and work to change the stupid laws in your state. Screw the bad guys and get a pair of 6-shot .44 revolvers if it makes you feel better, or a CA-approved .45 auto that holds a neutered 10 rounds.

But don't do what you described.

gyvel
October 8, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes. Move out of Califonia.