PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong ? Model 66 spring kit ...

10 Spot Terminator
October 4, 2009, 10:30 AM
I bought a very clean used Smith Model 66 combat Magnum and set about tricking it out right away. I replaced the boot grips with Safariland palm swell grips and was pleased. Next at the insistance of a friend I will have to say is more than a little obsessed with smoothing out the operation of all moving parts on a revolver we polished all moving parts and again all was good. Then came the "WE" need to lighten up the trigger "OL BUDDY" and that is where the trouble came in. "WE" put lighter hammer and return springs and all seemed very good indeed. What started to occur shortly after is the cylinder release arm will not retract enough at times to let the cylinder rotate and becomes a combat loser magnum. I am seeing a bright shiney ring showing around the cylinder telling me the release arm when does retract enough to let the cylinder rotate it still doesnt pull fully pull away from the cylinder. What are "WE" missing here ?

gus3836
October 4, 2009, 06:03 PM
Here is what I do I take my gun to good gunsmith and I promise not to work on guns if he promises not to work on what I do for a living. That way he makes a living I make a living he does what he does best I do what I do best and that's what keeps America going and you have a firearm that goes bang everytime. I have done some "gunsmithing" had to send one back to S&W and had to have smiths fix other ones. Not that you cannot do minor things change sights grips and such BUT your results speak for themself. Just my 2 cents. Gus

sadsack
October 6, 2009, 03:40 AM
10 spot: Check to see if you can push the trigger forward a little when the cylinder hangs up. There is a "hook" on the front of the trigger that engages the cylinder stop, and it sounds like the trigger return spring is too weak to push the trigger forward enough to reset the cylinder stop.

James K
October 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
I suspect your trigger return spring (inside the rebound slide) is too weak and won't force the trigger forward enough to catch the lip on the cylinder stop. Either that, or in your work, you messed up the cylinder stop or its spring so it won't move properly.

I don't fully agree with Gus, but just jumping in and changing out springs and polishing things willy-nilly will sometimes lead to creating problems where none existed before.

Jim

Casimer
October 6, 2009, 10:52 PM
It's a good sign that it worked properly before the spring change.

Personally I prefer a positive trigger return. A lighter one will reduce the trigger weight, but also gives less feedback and slows the reset of the trigger.