PDA

View Full Version : mauser safety stuck

mp25ds4
October 1, 2009, 02:48 PM
hey guys i recently purchased a yugo m24/47 mauser and the safety seems to be stuck. I fully dissasembled the bolt and cleaned it with extreme care, i even oiled it and the safety but the more i work it the harder it gets. is there a way to fix this problem?

mapsjanhere
October 1, 2009, 04:22 PM
Assuming you'd have noticed the safety locking up due to too much play, my guess would be a slightly oversized part. Get a bit of machinist's die and stain the groove and the part that engages it, then look where it binds (the die is gone). Then use some 400 wet paper to take off a couple thousands of the engaging part until it moves firm but smoothly. Mauser safeties tend to be on the stiff site due to their military nature, it's not like they were made to silently disengage while stalking deer.

44 AMP
October 1, 2009, 08:01 PM
I fully dissasembled the bolt

Did you?
Did you fully disassemble the bolt shroud, safety, cocking piece, firing pin and spring?, or did you just unscrew this assembly from the bolt body?

If you fully disassembled the bolt, does the safety lever bind in the bolt shroud when you move it ? If so, that is one issue. If not, then your problem with stiffness is due to the cam surfaces of the safety wing. Notice how, when you put the safety half on, that it cams the cocking piece backwards very slightly as it rotates down in front of it. And in the fully on position, the wing safety is famous for being very stiff and difficult to move in the fully "on" position. This is intentional. And it can be fixed with a little work with a stone or abrasive cloth/paper.

It will still be stiff, but not as stiff.

A lighter firing pin spring can also make the safety "easier" to work, but that has its own set of potential problems.

Take a look at the safety wing, you will see there are "notches" for the cocking piece to "lock" into. This is intentional, to prevent the safety from being easily bumped to the off position. A little judicious work will make it easier to work the wing from off to on, and back. If you take off too much metal, the safety will not be firmly held in the on positions. Fortunately, Mauser 98 wing safeties are cheap and still available, in case you go way to far.

mp25ds4
October 1, 2009, 08:15 PM
fully dissasembled safety and all