PDA

View Full Version : 1911 slide stop insertion - Holy Grail found!

Thirties
September 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
Take a look at this thread I posted elsewhere . . . I am not sure if it belongs in the semi-auto section, or the "Smithy" section here. I figure it will get more readers here on TFL.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245878

QBall45
September 30, 2009, 11:06 AM
That looks like what I've been doing since the second time I put my shooter back together.
Wiggle & shift & it'll push right in. Trouble usually arrives @ the slide stop detent.

SKM&P9
September 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but then you won't get the nice "Idiot mark " !!!! Isn't that half the fun of owning a 1911 ??!!!

QBall45
September 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
Idiot mark...on the first try. Thank goodness mine is ss. A scotch pad off the kitchen sink & some gun oil. 1/2 hour later ya can't tell it was ever scratched.

Stevie-Ray
September 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think I've ever had a problem.

David the Gnome
September 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
That's exactly how I install the slide stop on all my 1911's. I could never get it lined up properly the other way.

Chris_B
September 30, 2009, 04:56 PM
:D I bought mine used, and the 'park had the mark already

The guy who sold it to me said "Ever strip and assemble a 1911?" and I said "no sir. P.38 yes, 1911 no"

So he showed me. And after he showed me, it's actually easier to assemble without adding to that mark. I just look through the notch and I can see the link, then bam, you slide the lever straight in and that's that

Willie Lowman
September 30, 2009, 05:43 PM
Duh?

Thirties
October 1, 2009, 06:15 AM
Folks, I didn't make it clear . . . the holy grail for me is the sequence you follow when you install the slide stop.

I used to align the radiused opening with the slide stop latch (rear facing) before trying to align the forward holes. This would involve shaking the gun in hopes the link hole would line up. A real pain in the neck.

Using the above recommended method I call the holy grail, you line up the holes first, gently moving the slide back and forth until you see them lined up together.

When aligned, you insert the slide stop pin into the holes (this holds everything in place nicely). Slide stop latch hangs down loosely.

Then you move the slide into position with the half round cut-out as stated in the illustration. Now popping the latch into it's position is almost effortless.

No shaking of the gun necessary.

Whoever wrote that tip obviously knew about the difficulty people like me encountered doing it "the old way". I pass it on for those who might be helped by reading it.

For you "natural born" 1911 folks, a dozen bravos and congratulations . . .

Jart
October 1, 2009, 06:18 AM
All of mine bear the mark.

Except for the 2011 where the shape of the frame makes it difficult - I may break down and scribe it manually.

QBall45
October 1, 2009, 07:36 AM
There are no "natural born" 1911 guru's that were born knowing all the tricks of this gun. Thou some appear to have been.

The tip you discovered is not found the owners manuals that I've looked at. Missing also is detailed cleaning instructions as well as key lube requirements. I've found most manuals to be filled with legal disclaimers & extremely short on anything truly useful to a new/first time with a particular model gun owner. I believe the lawyers need to get out of the way & give the gun smiths more room.

Please don't take it personal when you read a reply to your post. Some (read all) of us have struggled as you have with certain steps in the process. My Dad has a S&W9mm that gives him fits every time he goes to put it together after cleaning.

Smile, enjoy the shooting sports, and take someone new to the range next time you go. Pass on the passion.

mec
October 1, 2009, 10:34 AM
Isn't that half the fun of owning a 1911 ??!!!

Idiot Mark: L, Id +iot A small line below the slide stop on a browning designed pistol. eg: The first thing an idiot looks for after picking up someone else's 1911.

Thirties
October 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm proud of my idiot marks also . . . my three 1911s were each bought used, and came with their various owners' marks. Plus I've added my own marks as well.

I am quite envious of those who didn't hit the bump that I did with the slide stop. Now that I learned the tip, I'm trying to pass it on to others.

I love tinkering with my 1911s, loading, testing, and, most of all, learning.

That is why I got three of them, and why most of my shooting time is spent with the exquisite .45 automatics!

longeyes
October 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
Truth be told this is the one bummer with 1911s. This is useful information. I can't be the only one on this forum who hesitates sometimes to disassemble his 1911 for a quick cleaning because of past trauma with reassembly.:D

Especially important with a carry pistol.

KyJim
October 1, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm glad you found some instructions that allowed you to follow the steps in order.

As far as the idiot mark is concerned, what you have to understand is that you DO NOT push the slide top up and in. You simply position it over top the notch and press inward. Use two hands for better control if you want. Some people will use a small screwdriver or similar object to depress the plunger spring while doing this. Having said that, almost everyone screws this up at sometime in their life. I did mine about a year ago after years of shooting a 1911. I got careless. Then when you do it, you hear yourself say, "I'm such an idiot." Then move on and don't worry about it.

gc70
October 2, 2009, 05:52 PM
Just push the slide stop straight in. A thumb above and below the slide stop ensures it does not get away from you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/No_more_idiot_marks.jpg

Thirties
October 3, 2009, 07:37 AM
Great photo and explanation!

torpeau
October 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
Swinging the "latch" up is the really tricky part. Best to put scotch tape under it before you swing up.

Thirties
October 3, 2009, 09:25 AM
Believe it or not, swinging the latch into position was never my problem. I was stuck on lining up the holes with the slide wile keeping the slide in the exact position for the latch.

Instead (according to the tip) I should have aligned the holes first, inserted the pin, and then then squared up the slide for the latch.

It is all about the sequence . . . that's how I read it, and I've done it over and over again since. It works every time: fast and easy.

That photo of the 2-thumb technique is a great help.

ShipWreck
October 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
Been doing that for years.

My Ed Brown's slide stop goes right in - no issue with the plunger tube.

My Custom Springer, and EVERY SPringer I have ever had, is tough. I must use a screw driver to push in the plunger.

I just got back from shooting my Custom Shop Springer and cleaned it 1 hr ago. I had to do the screwdriver thing again.

It is rather annoying, as my Brown doesn't have this issue.

I use a piece of scotchtape on the frame to keep from getting an idiot scratch on the Springer.