PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1911 .22 conversion

dstyle47
September 29, 2009, 09:24 PM
My ccw is a basic 1911 Colt Gov't series 70. Since it is my carry gun i would like to do a little more practice with defensive shooting, shooting a little more rapidly and the like. I would like to do this on a regular basis 2-3times a week, shooting at least 100 or more rounds per session to become more proficient. This is not realistic for me with the price of .45. My question for you guys is that of the .22 conversions. I would like any info/opinions you guys have on them. Especially from owners/users. How are they? Which ones do you like? Problems with them? I havn't had much luck researching them. About all I have found is the Kimber and the Ceiner conversion. How do these stack up? And finally one more question to add to this seemingly full length exam, what can you guys tell me about the colt ace? I was particularly interested to read that it had some internal component which allowed .22lr to simulate .45 recoil. Does the Kimber or Ceiner conversion have this? Having near .45 recoil is important to me as i would like to be as similar to my carry gun as possible in training. Thanks all in advance for your help.

patriotthad
September 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
My wife used a Ciener conversion on my Kimber and it worked great. If the truth be known I would say that many of the different brands are made by...

excellent accessory

LHB1
September 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
I use and like the Marvel #1 conversion unit on my 1911 pistols. It is super accurate and came with a 5 shot group under one inch fired at 50 yards! This unit is similar in design to the slide of S&W M41 pistol. They also make a #2 unit which is slightly less accurate. The #2 design is also sold by Wilson under their name and is similar to the Kimber and Ciener conversions. All tend to work well but may require some break-in period to wear the black finish off slide contact surfaces. All of these conversions use aluminum slides and thus will NOT lock back the slide when magazine is empty. To do so would quickly batter the notch in soft aluminum slide. Marvel makes their units and the Wilson units. Kimber now makes their units. Ciener makes his units. FWIW, rumors are that customer service is NOT a strong point for Ciener.

dstyle47
September 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
thanks for the replies all! how about recoil, do either of these conversions you mention have simulated .45 recoil? and has anyone shot the colt ace? Does it closely simulate .45 recoil?

TOMBECK
September 30, 2009, 08:17 PM
Agree with above comments. The Colt Ace with floating chamber will give higher felt recoil but about 20-25% of a standard 45 with ball ammo. They are fun but only fair for accuracy. The floating chamber tends to lead/crud up and more frequent cleaning is necessary.