PDA

View Full Version : jamming remington 870

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
a few months ago i bought a remington 870 supermag to shoot 3 1/2" mags at geese. after shooting trap a couple of times i found that about every third shot got stuck in the chamber. what should i do?

kx592
September 24, 2009, 08:44 PM
When you eject after each pop..be sure to do it HARD...the 870 will most likely only fail because of user error

Maromero
September 24, 2009, 08:52 PM
Clean it and oil it. That's your first step. Break it down removing the barrel and trigger housing. Use Hoppe's #7 with a toothbrush or scrubber of preference. Once squeaky clean lightly oil and reasemble. If you still have problems have another person shoot it to see if you are the problem. If the gun still malfunctions inspect how is the jam happening. Consult the seller. Have them shoot it to see what happens. (Murphy's Law: of course it's gonna perform exeptionally well.)

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 08:55 PM
the last time it jammed i could not for the life of me get the shell to eject. i pulled so hard that the extractor tore the brass off of the base of the shell... im thinking it mught have a tight chamber?

rantingredneck
September 24, 2009, 08:56 PM
likely a burr in the chamber. Chuck a bore brush in your favorite power drill. wrap a couple of strands of steel wool around it and give it a once over. It should polish out.

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 08:59 PM
that wont cause any problems with feeding or firing will it?

Maromero
September 24, 2009, 09:06 PM
Have you used powertools before. It's pretty straight forward but if you feel uncomftable take it to the shop.

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 09:12 PM
its just im 15 and im on sort of a tight budget if you know what imean with minimum wage being what it is i dont really have the cash to buy another shotgun and the same goes for taking it to a gunsmith

Maromero
September 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Son. Step away from the shotgun and call dad.

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 09:38 PM
everyone is so judgemental, i know im young but i have devoted my life to guns and i wont let my monetary situation and youth get in the way of getting my gun to function the way it should. i have been competition shooting since i was 13 and i think by now i should be able to handle things by myself... by the way dads dead, why do you think im discussing this on the internet and not with him?

rantingredneck
September 24, 2009, 09:50 PM
A rough chamber causes exactly the condition you describe. You have three choices. Polish the chamber yourself as described above. Pay a smith to do it for you. Put up with the problem until firing a few thousand rounds through it polishes it. I'd give it a once over myself. It's not difficult

hogdogs
September 24, 2009, 10:04 PM
Same deal I have a post on... The express has less than a stellar chamber... Just needs a fine polish paste on a bore "swab"... One section of cleaning rod in a drill chuck. Run it symmetrical and make BLACK on the swab... it will not hang up again.
Don't use sand paper as it could make a loose chamber and still hang up...

I am a bit unhappy with some of ya'lls replies! The kid is wise enuff to ask advise. There wasn't no puter help when i was a kid... If you have no advise... don't go telling him to ask daddy!
Brent

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
thanks much sir i appriciate your input, to rantingredneck and hotdogs, by the way thank you for not looking down on me because of my age

hogdogs
September 24, 2009, 10:11 PM
BTW, if you can't find "Flitz" polish, just buy a fine "mag wheel" polish like "Mothers" white... Just do it a bit and clean and inspect... when it is close to mirror, I bet she never hangs a hull again...
Brent

murphyboy88
September 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
thank you so much you have been an immense help... waterfowl season opens this weekend:D

hogdogs
September 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
Murph, No sweat... Knock the snot out of them paddle foot birds!
Post your kills in the hunt section!
Brent

Maromero
September 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
Murphyboy: You ask for advice. Advice was given to you. You hesitate and I ask about your abilities to execute the repair and your answer was...

its just im 15 and im on sort of a tight budget if you know what imean with minimum wage being what it is i dont really have the cash to buy another shotgun and the same goes for taking it to a gunsmith

So I tell you to not mess with your handgun and seek help for if you don't know what your doing youcan ruin your reciever. Get your ship off your shoulder. I'm really sorry about your father. There must be someone, an uncle, cousin, family friend or father figure to help you perform the repair. In other words, telling you to get help is sound advice.

I am a bit unhappy with some of ya'lls replies! The kid is wise enuff to ask advise. There wasn't no puter help when i was a kid... If you have no advise... don't go telling him to ask daddy!

hogdog. Read the post before asuming facts, for when you asume you make an arse of you and me.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
September 25, 2009, 02:42 PM
by the way dads dead, why do you think im discussing this on the internet and not with him?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3706908&postcount=1

TangoMcBlasty
September 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
^ Wow... massive ownage.

WJR
September 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
Wow, that is really pretty disgraceful. I lost my father 11 years ago and would love to be able to talk to him about guns, cars, life, etc. I am not sure what the real deal is with you, but you should be careful with what you say. Ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

WJR

murphyboy88
September 25, 2009, 04:05 PM
look i didnt mean to tell you my life story or whatever its just that i would like to be able to handle stuff by myself and not have people judge me... thanks

Maromero
September 25, 2009, 06:23 PM
PNG

oneoldsap
September 25, 2009, 08:20 PM
Get a bore mop and load it with J-B bore bright put it on a short rod in a cordless drill ( so you don't build any heat ) and move it back and forth , in the chamber at low speed . She will smooth right up and shine like a new penny . Be patient it takes a little while , clean and inspect frequently . You hang right in there son , sorry to hear about your dad . You need a shooting mentor , should be able to find one at the range ! Good luck !!

J A
September 26, 2009, 08:42 AM
You are doing the right thing asking for help. Hope you get it running smooth as silk. Enjoy. Jim

onlyme
October 2, 2009, 09:49 PM
I totally agree with hogdogs, oneoldsap and ja...you will never know unless you ask. I respect you for asking here...instead of on the streets, where you may not get true knowledge. Hogdogs knows his stuff. Some of the others are trying to help too and they prolly know theirs just as well...and some are a little over-protective. Opinions don't hurt...you're trying to be logical about this...use your head and any knowledge or assistance you can get. Glad you came here though.

gyvel
October 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
Plastic-bodied shotshells sometimes leave plastic residue in the the chambers, and, once it gets heated up, causes shells to stick in the chamber. Make sure your chamber is squeaky clean, and use a solvent that specifically states it will clean plastic residue out of shotgun chambers. I would recommend using a nylon bristle brush while cleaning your chamber, as well. The residue is hard to see, so you are really going to have to work at it.