PDA

View Full Version : need advice on a new pistol...

pacerdude
September 23, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ok guys, you helped me pick my first two pistols and i have been very pleased with them. I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45, and a Smith and Wesson M&P 40.

I have a couple of pistols in mind for my next handgun:
1) Beretta 90-two
2)Glock 19 or 23
3) Beretta 92fs

Also I have shot the Glock before(as my best friend has the G23) and it is growing on me. I also have smaller hands for a guy.

One more thing, should I stick with the .40, or pick up one of the above in 9mm?

Thanks guys!

Beentown71
September 23, 2009, 11:15 PM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/beentown71/P1050020.jpg

Grips similar to a soda can but she is a shooter. Many, many rounds and never even the slightest hiccup. But if you do have small hands...maybe not.

I'll be the first to say it. Shoot them if you can...because some firearms look great until you put them in your hand.

Plus she is just dead sexy:D,

Beentown

Lost Sheep
September 23, 2009, 11:35 PM
Pacerdude,

Why are you considering going down in caliber?

The reason most cited for choosing 9mm over the .45ACP is the number of cartridges in the magazine. The .40 S&W gives you that. The 9mm does not give much more. The .45, however does give you a lot more (though you give up quantity).

Your 22/45 Ruger is already designed to match the geometry of your typical 1911-style pistol (if not the weight). Consider it. Or something in the CZ75 pattern or Springfield's XD, perhaps, if you prefer a striker-fired pistol like the Glock or Smith's M&P. The .45 also runs a lower pressure than the 40 S&W and has a "softer" recoil. Where the 40 is often described as having a lot of "snap" or being "sharp", the 45 recoil is contrasted as being more of a "push". Though the momentum (and recoil) of the 45 ACP is higher than the .40 S&W, the recoil is more comfortable at least, on the back end. At the muzzle end, the 45 is considerably less comfortable than the 40 S&W or 9mm.

Of course, you could really go outside the envelope and pick up a 38 Special/.357 Magnum, a 41 Magnum or the increasingly popular 44 Special or the ever-popular 44 Magnum.

Congratulations on a nice stable of calibers. You could "round" out your inventory with a spinner gun. (Sorry, I can't resist a good pun, or, obviously, a bad one.)

Lost Sheep

bakon
September 24, 2009, 01:01 AM
Carry G23 for 15 years or so. Not one problem. 1000's of rounds.

gyvel
September 24, 2009, 01:07 AM
Small hands and CZ 75's seem to go hand-in-hand. (No pun intended.)

IanS
September 24, 2009, 01:33 AM
With the Beretta 92FS or 90-Two ask yourself if you really want to go to a pistol with two trigger modes (DA and SA) and manual safety. They're great looking guns so I understand the allure. Go out and try a Beretta 92FS if you can, esp. the DA/SA transition. If its something you're willing to put in the time and effort to master go for it. With Glock you'll have a trigger and manual or arms that is similar to your M&P. You've also shot a Glock so you have an idea of what you're getting into.
One more thing, should I stick with the .40, or pick up one of the above in 9mm?

Everyone should have a good 9mm pistol for so many good reasons. My vote would be the G19. Great combination of power, controllability and concealability. Or how about another M&P this time in 9mm. Same holster and mag carriers. Training between both will be easier overall.

Small hands and CZ 75's seem to go hand-in-hand. (No pun intended.)

I always thought CZ75's were better for people with really long fingers or large hands. From the location of the manual safety on the B models or the long DA trigger reach on the D models.

QBall45
September 24, 2009, 04:50 AM
From your list, if this were my decision, I would choose the M9 Beretta 92fs.
The 90-Two seems to me to be a fix for a problem that did not exist. I'm a believer in the don't fix what aint broke phylosiphy.
Glock...love em/hate em...I'm in the hate em group.

Try this on for size...
1911. The only real 1911's are in 45acp, but they are also made in 9mm if ya want a 9.

Tough decision to make...so many choices. Have fun trying on guns.

Nightowl
September 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
I bought this Beretta 92FS recently and am really fond of it. Very comfortable and with the new grips, fits my hand nicely.
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae148/bburge46/Beretta/Beretta_92FS_Grips.jpg

pacerdude
September 24, 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was considering a 9mm, because around metro Atlanta, and now Athens, it has been a little tricky finding 40 cal ammo. Also one day I would love to have a .45. But isnt the ammo a fair amount more pricey than 9mm or 40? If not then I would add a 1911 or a Sig P220 to my list of the above guns!

Thanks for the good advice, and please keep it coming! :D

Lost Sheep
September 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
I would love to have a .45. But isnt the ammo a fair amount more pricey than 9mm or 40?
Re load.

Lost Sheep

zombieslayer
September 25, 2009, 12:41 AM
Another Glock19 vote. Or get a glock22 - they're chambered in .40 but you can get a 9mm barell and mags, and shoot both from the G22

HvyMtl
September 25, 2009, 11:32 AM
From the prices around here - there is little difference between paying for 40 or 45. 9 is the cheapest of the 3 calibers.

I wonder why 380 is so expensive...

You are spot on with availability - 9 is most available right now.

I suggest shooting the 9, 40 and 45 and get a feel for the recoil. A lot of people (me included) do not like the hard snap of the 40, and find the 45 easier to control... the 9's quick snap recoil is the easiest to deal with, and allows for quicker follow on shots.

howwie
September 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
My G19 is my pride and joy, everything I need in one package. That said, I have owned a B-92 and loved it, but being a small guy it just wasn't a practical gun for me at the time. (I wish I still had it now though)

h2oskikrazy
September 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
If you have small hands like I do, you may want to check out any of the Glock SF models. Springfield XD models fit my hand very well also.

rsxr22
September 25, 2009, 02:14 PM
the G19 is really enjoyable to shoot. You dont have to stick with calibers, it might make it a little cheaper, but i like shooting different guns in different calibers and 9mm is considerably cheaper thn .40

greghalliday
September 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
Definitely give a look to the XD40 and the CZ75. The CZs only look like they are for folks with big hands. They fit me very well however and are my favorite gun to shoot. And mine and my wife's hands are the same size. I usually wear a size medium shooting glove and a size 7 1/2 surgical glove if that's any help. The reason I suggested the XD is that the frame is surprisingly narrow for a double stack. I have an XD45 and fits me just fine. The only problem is that it pretty much duplicates your M&P. Seriously though, give the CZ a look.

Greg

Uncle Malice
September 25, 2009, 08:10 PM
I vote for the Glock 23. The G23 was my first gun and I traded it off after about a month because I wasn't used to shooting and didn't like the .40 recoil.

I went through many other guns, bought many that I'm happy with, traded some others off that I wasn't... When the opportunity presented itself to get another Glock 23 I jumped on it and I have been very happy with it again. I also have the complete 9mm conversion available for it:

- Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel
- Glock 19 magazine
- Glock 19 extractor
- Glock 19 ejector(trigger housing)

The barrel is the the only part thats expensive.. the magazine is less than $30, the extractor was about $8 and the ejector was about $3 from MidwayUSA.

I have the stainless guide rod, extended magazine release(although i rounded the corners a bit because it was poking my skin... very comfortable now! And Tru-Glo TFO night sights. I love this gun. I have a Galco Summer comfort and a Galco kydex IWB holster(almost identical to a Comp-Tac Infidel, only $20 cheaper!). I carry the G23 frequently. Sometimes I switch out to my G26, but those are my main carry guns.

I have an M&P 9c that stays in the car that I also love. I think it's more comfortable than the G26, but it's quite a bit heavier.

If you have shot your friends G23 and you are comfortable with the recoil and Glock ergonomics, you won't regret the decision. It's a great piece to have in your collection. and for $250 you can convert it to a G19. ;)