PDA

View Full Version : Vltor stock play impact on accuracy of my AR-15

Kurbsky
September 18, 2009, 08:10 AM
I have a Colt AR-15 with a traditional non-telescopic stock and have no problems with it. But on a recently built YHM AR-15 I have a teliscopic Vltor buttstock that has a little play on a shoulder - I am talking about that moving plastic thing. Can that possibly affect accuracy?

Jimro
September 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
Accuracy depends on consistency, so as long as you hold the rifle the same every time, you are fine.

However, if you don't then you may shift a little bit, but as long as it doesn't force you to change your sight picture through the sights or optic then you are fine.

But you won't know until you shoot it and find out.

Jimro

Skyyr
September 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
Anytime you're holding your weapon instead of supporting it from a fixed object, you'll lose some amount of accuracy due to the fact that no human can hold their body completely still while counteracting the recoil from firing. Sure, you can come real close, but you'll still lose a slight bit of accuracy, even if it's .05 MOA. The point is that any time you hold your weapon instead of shooting it from a supported benchrest/bipod position, you're going to lose SOME accuracy.

When you shoulder your weapon, it should be held firmly into your shoulder and you should have a good cheek-weld. Provided you do both of the above, it should have no impact on accuracy compared to a fixed stock.

Kurbsky
September 19, 2009, 10:05 PM
I am talking about shooting from the bench rest.

I picked Vltor because it looks cool and because it's light but for my next more accurate rifle I would like to pick something else, something not too heavy though. I don't know much about stocks and it's difficult to try them because at gustores you only see cheap staff or Vltor.

glockopop
September 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
I know a guy who had the problem you're talking about, a little wiggle in the stock caused inconsistent accuracy. He had the problem at 400 yards, though.:rolleyes:

Try a Magpul CTR or the new UBR. They actually lock in place on the extension tube. That's what he did, and it eliminated the problem.

Kurbsky
September 20, 2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks... UBR is too heavy, CTR may not give enough cheek support. I am looking at other brands but I need to touch and see before I order.